Will there ever be more planets?

SpaceshipFood

I would think in real life you'd be able to ease a spaceship into a ring (matching orbits etc) and survive. The stuff that makes up the ring is in an orbit.

That's also a good point. That would make ring breaking even more favourable, if done right, it could only ever slow you down to orbital speed. If it doesn't put lots of big holes in your spaceship.

Edited by Tw1

The rings could easily be made up of just a big texture or some purely visual particles, and when you touch it, you explode :P Easy collision.

Anyways, even if it were certain death, couldn't you just adjust your orbit so you miss the rings? For example

2 million AP, ring is at 1 million

Retroburn until 500k PE,

????

Profit?

They'd pose a pretty big obstacle, with any orbit that didn't sit under or above being destroyed.

Blowing up as soon as you touch it seems a little unrealistic to me. (And I really want to try "ringbreaking" now :D)

2 million sounds a little big for Kerbal, doesn't it?

P.S. welcome to the forums!

Would going through a ring be death to any craft that attempts it? I mean getting hit by something, even small, in orbit is already dangerous, what about a million things of varying sizes?

All the particles in a ring orbit the planet with an uniform speed, so when you enter the ring in a prograde orbit, the relative speed of the particles would be equal to your own and thus they would be quite harmless.

But excentric, inclined or even retrograde orbits passing through a ring could indeed be quite harmful.

I'm already dreaming up the massively thick structure I may need to make ringbreaking work. I'm going to need lots of wing boards and structural panels. I'll keep you guys posted, should anything ever come of this. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.