Pending impact - 36 hours to save Kerbin

A panicked Kerbal storms into the main lobby of the Kerbal Space Center. "Guuuys! What the hell are you doing here? Dont you have satellites and radars and stuff? Asteroid incoming! I can see it with this toy telescope here! Help, i dont want to die!" He runs out and dies seconds later due to fragments of KSC's latest "Megathrust Rocket Experiment" raining down from the sky.

In an unparalleled action of urgency, two Kerbals are sent to out to clean up the cobwebs and rat nests that have taken over the Deep Space Observatory. The facility had been shut down a year ago after a series of fatal accidents involving coffee, baseball bats and spare xenon gas tanks. Two days later, the following email arrives at the KSC central command:

to: Kerbal Space Center Central command

Subject: Omygodomygodomygod looooook at this please!!!!11 Very urgent!!

------------

Help help we are all going to die please do something! That crazy guy was right! Something has just entered Kerbins gravity well. Its big, on a collision course with our planet, and its coming in fast. We don't know what it is, but its no asteroid - it emits a faint electronic signature. Predicted impact in T-36 hours.

Kelfrod and Thomlong Kerman,

hereby volounteering to man the crew for the "Rotatorotron Jool Lander".

----------

So, this is your mission: Save Kerbin from the unknown threat. persistent.sfs. Copy the vessel into your current game profile to answer to the threat with anything you've got flying around, or start a new one.

Rules:

• The mission ends with a failure if the intact UIO (unkown impactor object) reaches an altitude of 30km with an orbital speed of 1500m/s or more
  • To win, you need to divert it's course, destroy it, or bring it down to the surface of Kerbin in a controlled manner (<20m/s vertical speed on surface touchdown)
  • Mods are ok, but please specify which were used (especially improved tanks/engines, weapon systems and enhanced structural elements and of course MechJeb)
  • You may not switch control to the Unknown Object unless you somehow manage to somehow enter it's central command pod. (e.e. No Tracking station, no "switch to next nearby vessel). You may watch it's trajectory in the map mode.
  • Attention: The game displays the object as beeing on an escape trajectory, but the path passes through the planet.
  • Probably because of the escape trajectory (?), my map view would not display intersections between my course and that of the target. So, go and eyeball the rondevouz :-)
  • Due to the variety of possible solutions, there will not be a scoring system. Instead, there are achievements you can earn (see below)

Achievements:

• Hull Breach - break the armor of the UIO to reveal the inside
  • Core Meltdown- destroy the internal structures
  • Alien landing - bring the thing down to the surface with internal structures intact
  • Alien precision landing - bring the thing down to the surface with internal structures intact, within 5km of KSC
  • Purist - Stock only
  • Manl(e)y Mode - IVA/EVA and map mode only
  • Returning Heroes - do a manned mission, and return everyone alive
  • Fast Reaction - establish destruction or diversion victory at an altitude of 45.000km or higher
  • Last Second - establish destruction or diversion victory at an altitude of 200km or less
  • A third moon - bring it into a stable orbit around kerbin
  • Time is ticking away - do it without quickloading or restarting flights
  • Mun or Bust - crash the thing into the Mun
  • Safe Experimentation Environment - land the thing on the Mun or any other orbital body other than Kerbin.

Yes, some of the achievements are mutually exclusive, just like the victory conditions. This is intentional.

So, bring the big guns or get creative - i am curious about your success and failure stories. I have yet to achive a brute force destruction victory, but the other two solutions are definitely possible. First person with a confirmed victory wins the designs of the "Megathrust Rocket Experiment" - a highly reliable heavy-duty ascent stage (150tons to orbit) :cool:

Heroes of Kerbalkind

• Francesco (has just received the Megathrust Rocket Experiment craft)
  • soranno
  • oggylt

WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

Part count: about 450 parts. Could not make it any smaller without a total change of design, sorry.

Craft File. NOT REQUIRED FOR THE CHALLENGE!

(also, this warning is just placed here just in case anyone solving the challenge forgets to put a spoiler warning in his post.)

Edited by SirJodelstein
craft file, more victories

so do we have some telescope images of the object?

the rules state, "You may not switch control to the Unknown Object unless you somehow manage to somehow enter it's central command pod."

so we cannot access it from the tracking station, therefore, we just can't see it till we reach it?

That's the fun thing about the challenge! :D

I'm gonna try it when I'm done with my homework. ugh...

alright :)

was trying to figure out if there was some text/images missing after "WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW", or if that was intended for future posts.

maybe you the OP could make this more clear in the rules - e.g., "no tracking station"?

edit: I thought I was speaking to the OP :)

Edited by Francesco

There was one of these challenges up before the crash, but it was before I was any good at the game.. I think I might take this one up when I get home :)

Omg I have such a good idea lol

oh well, Im standing in front of this thing right now, and since you asked, I figure why not tell you: its a lagfest.

i was against the OP disclosing the size of the ship as that would ruin the surprise for everyone - but I estimate this thing to be in the 300-400 parts range. i had to set my graphic settings to the very minimum.

NEW ACHIEVEMENT: Peaceful Avoidance,Bring them into a nice orbit around kerbin.

Kerbin's third moon :)

another achievement could be -

Change of plans: crash/land the ship on the Mun instead of Kerbin

Just finished my attempt at this challenge.. and holy hell it was epic. Streamed live at http://www.twitch.tv/hoshizora. Some details of the object are revealed in the following paragraphs.

images to accompany this text here: http://imgur.com/a/8E8ou

video cut of the finale : http://www.twitch.tv/hoshizora/c/2253026 *Strong Language Warning*

First sending up the only Kerbal that could be trusted with this, Jeb headed into orbit but soon realised the object was too distant to attempt a survey himself. He headed back to KSC and slapped together a remote probe that was immediately sent on a direct intercept course.

After the most tense series of maneuvers I have attempted yet in KSP, the first images of the object were achieved at a range of 250m and a velocity of 3km/s.

With a view of the task in mind, Jeb began to redesign his small craft and headed back into orbit, circling Kerbin some 3 or more times before lighting his engines again and matching speed with the demon object. With all flight navigation systems subject to some manner of disruption from the object (as good an explanation as any), Jeb (with maximum tension) barreled towards the object, with Kerbin growing large in the window. With final corrections made, and time of the essence, he prepared his emergency engines for the suicide burn to end all suicide burns.

Over shooting the target just a fraction, Jeb stabilized his craft with a mere 10l of fuel remaining, and moved in.

Securing his craft to the object with his grappling hooks (KAS), and now a mere 600km above Kerbin, Jeb left the safety of his small craft, and proceeded to inspect the object.

On the occasion of the thought "I can see my house from here", Jeb decided against hanging around, and upon spying a crack in the object`s superstructure he proceeded inside..

Relaying all he could see to KSC, Jeb came upon a control station inside the superstructure, and tried in vain to redirect the craft. But it was all too late, Jeb realised what he needed to do, and being honest with himself, he had long reconciled himself to this fate.

Jeb brought to bare his superior knowledge of rocketry explosions and in a blaze of heroic glory, tore the demon object apart.. settling into what passed for a chair in the tumbling shell of the object, he sent his final farewells to KSC, his wife, and his fish.. and communication was lost.

KSC reported the final remains of the object were destroyed in the atmosphere, at 31,933m.

edit: I humbly claim the Core Meltdown and Last Second achievements for this effort :)

Edited by soranno

Man that was one most epic challenge, I am so thankful for you for making it story and everything...

Yesterday i designed a 5k dV Tie-Fighter(Star Wars) and i was complaining that there are nothing to shoot up there and bam that kid! I Sent 5 tie-Fighters in orbit armed with 2 srb's anti-capital ship rockets send all 5 fighters to different periapsis orbits and Bob got the closest so when I got into stable tracking orbit (i was horified by the it's looks ) quicksaved (for multiple endings) took an aim from 400m distance to that horror and hit space, and got 9m/s knockback. 1 missle had a direct hit, I remaiend totally unarmed, came in close almost 1/3 of the shell was destroyed, everything inside intact, found the comand module and Bob left the Tie_fighter on the crash course and aimed the 'thing' to aero-burn trajectory, landed in an ocean.(was very easy to land :) )

and acidentaly made a core Meltdown (wanted to know what for are those separatrons).

http://imgur.com/a/xOC5I#0

P.S. in panic i made so less screenshots it was very intense.

Achievements: Hull Breach, Alien landing and after it the Core Meltdown, Returning Heroes(i never ever leave anyone behind if i am not shure i do not send them)

mm mods: remote tech, crew manifest, engineer redux, ISA map.

What happened to the download link the original post? I wanna try this and before when I saw it there was a download link for the ship to place in the persistence file thing, where'd it go?

Edit: nvm I missed it, going to try this now :D

Edit2:

"windows cannot open this file:

File: persistent.sfs

To open this file, windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programs that are installed on your computer"

Um, how do I open it to get the ship thingy?

Edited by Deadpangod3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.