A suggestion for Career Mode :)

JRF2k

With Career mode, do you guys think it would be nifty if they had a "hardcore" mode like XCOM does where if your Kerbal dies his/her death is permanent?

I think it would make the experience more intense and would cause people to be more careful with designs and planning.

I also like the idea, much like XCOM, to be able to edit my Kerbals and rename them or make them look a certain way.

These two things really up the emotional quotient for me and I've come to really like these two features I've found in other games.

Whaddya say?

Good idea/Bad idea?

Generally good. But there are days when one can go through more Kerbals than there is matches in the box. I've sent two ships to Jool system, and did not lose any crew member. Yesterday, while testing new rover i lost two pilots just next to the runway. I feel somewhat better knowing there is a chance they will join KSP again someday. But individualisation? Heck yeah!

Right, I am saying have this as a mode. You could play it where Kerbal death is not permanent or you could play your career in a "hardcore" mode. You would be able to choose just like in X-COM.

They said that you will be able to manage your Kerbalnauts so chances are that permadeath will be a main part of the game. It would make us have to send propes in places of capsules as the rockets have a tendency to explode. If your not careful, you could spend all your money on life insurance pay-outs to the families.

Yeah, exactly! They could implement it in so many different ways. I think it just adds something to the game. And I'd like to see it as a mode, so you are not forced to play it that way, but I've really enjoyed the permadeath in other games.

I also expect that perma-death will be a base feature of career mode. Since Kerbals will eventually have skills that will improve over time, it makes sense that if you kill one, you should lose all the work you've put into it. Since there is only a finite number of names available, they could handle duplicate names by appending suffixes (so when you kill Ferlorf Kerman, you eventually get his son Ferlorf Kerman Jr., then Ferlorf Kerman III, etc). Or, they could let duplicate names happen and just reset the stats. Either way

I think Kerbals are all just clones. So when Jeb does something crazy (and he always does something crazy) and dies, they just clone him. A Jeb 2.0 if you will (not to be confused with MechJeb 2.0).

Generally good. But there are days when one can go through more Kerbals than there is matches in the box. I've sent two ships to Jool system, and did not lose any crew member. Yesterday, while testing new rover i lost two pilots just next to the runway. I feel somewhat better knowing there is a chance they will join KSP again someday. But individualisation? Heck yeah!

I think you'll have to be a lot more careful in career mode - those rockets that are blowing up with your Kerbals on board will be expensive. Personally, I'm hoping for a simulator mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.