A Mini-Mun adventure

isherwood

Hi All,

Thought I'd post a load of pictures I just took from my latest 'mission'. I'm pretty new to the game so a lot of what I did here were firsts.

The mission was to launch 3 kerbals to Mun, dock at my Mun-Station, land on Mun near a rover I previously launched, re-dock at Mun-Station to refuel, then return back to Kerbin! Simple right?!

First of all, here is the ship ready for launch...

VPP0e1W.jpg

After a steady trip and a quick alignment with my Mun-station, here is the slow and careful approach to docking..

k7FDnWM.jpg

Having docked and refueled, I sent the ship down to the Mun's surface - aiming for my Mun rover. Initially I landed around 8km away, but a quick boost toward the rover saw me land under 1km away, then I switched to the rover to meet the two together.

u5xDTYx.png

Then it was time to leave the rover to continue... roving... and make way back to the station for last refuel before returning home.

UiPIQx2.png

I felt a little sorry for the lonesome kerbal I had manning the Mun station, so decided to leave another kerbal with him to keep him company before returning the two other kerbals back home!

1kKanvs.png

Welcome back..

4mUfvoA.png

Sadly, I'm not too good at returning ships to kerbin, and ended up using a hell of a lot of fuel (seemed to just be going so damned fast the whole time!). Luckily when my parachutes deployed, the ships pod simply broke away, leaving the crew intact.

B2UszhJ.png

Other than the final landing, everything went smoothly. I'm happy to say I had a complete round trip with a few stop offs, and didn't lose any crew, which is always a bonus.

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did !

I had a similar landing on my first trip to Minmus last night. I didn't exactly have a nice reentry orbit... It was more of a smash-into-kerbin's-atmosphere kind of landing. Fortunately there's no risk of burning up in reentry as I hit Kerbin's atmosphere at a toasty 9000mph 80% angle. On the plus side I didn't need to use timewarping to get to chute deployment altitude.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.