Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

Had seen the Atomic Rockets link before, but didn't put one and one together. Love your site! Visited it even before I learned of KSP.

Thanks!

I added a section about KSP

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sealofapproval.php#id--Computer_Simulation--Kerbal_Space_Program

and I re-wrote the section on controls using what I learned from KSP

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/controldeck.php

I too just noticed that you can land perfectly well on the plate so that is not a problem anymore.

Agreed, I posted a screen shot of that earlier, and even with them it's best to put the weight on the pusher plate and put these a little higher. I tend to put a huge fuel tank on top and use liquid fuel engines for fine course adjustments, and that makes it prone to tipping. The legs make it less likely to topple.

New version for testing

see first post for download.

In VAB, can now use action groups on Orion engine to turn on/off various magazine types

Pusher plate animation is now sinusoidal instead of linear (slows down near top and bottom of stroke)

Parts attached to pusher plate will now share in plate animation, instead of floating in mid air

Sorry this took so long

WARNING the fix for action groups has the potential to create bugs with turning on/off various magazine types manually with the pop-up menu. Let me know immediately if anything like that crops up.

I suggest moving the Extras and Source folders, along with the readme to be outside of the GameData folder. As it stands if you just copied across the entire folder there would be a lot of extra things that KSP tries to load since it doesn't actually parse whatever is in the GameData folder.

I suggest moving the Extras and Source folders, along with the readme to be outside of the GameData folder. As it stands if you just copied across the entire folder there would be a lot of extra things that KSP tries to load since it doesn't actually parse whatever is in the GameData folder.

Ah, good point. I'll shuffle the folders.

You might have noticed, but when in space the explosions happen behind the craft every time, you don't propel away from them. See the bottom video from hoojiwana for details ^^

Only real thing missing now is a visible canister drop :wink:

Edited by Boosterspice
Idea!

Further feedback: I love how you disguised the flag decal, though the actual flag itself ends up being vertically stretched.

You could also offload the action groups from the engine segment into the magazines themselves. I'm not sure how big of an undertaking that is considering I guess the action groups are directly linked to the kill/start bombs of the engine segment itself. Every single bomb type is also displayed, even if I don't have any of those sizes on the vessel. You could also add a toggle option as well as kill/start, though that would just make the list even longer.

MLtJdRY.jpg

I have no idea if all those struts are still needed, but I wanted to play it safe.

Further feedback: I love how you disguised the flag decal, though the actual flag itself ends up being vertically stretched.

You could also offload the action groups from the engine segment into the magazines themselves. I'm not sure how big of an undertaking that is considering I guess the action groups are directly linked to the kill/start bombs of the engine segment itself. Every single bomb type is also displayed, even if I don't have any of those sizes on the vessel. You could also add a toggle option as well as kill/start, though that would just make the list even longer.

I had to do something to make the flag blend in, and trying to chop a piece out of the body texture turned out to be unexpectedly difficult.

I wish I could offload the action groups from the engine segment into the magazines, but there does not seem to be a clear way to do that given the current structure of the code. The magazines do not use conventional Kerbal resources like all the other rocket motors use, the engine contains a crude homebrew bomb resource manager.

Currently the KSPEvents that make the pop up menus are in the engine, not the magazines. Otherwise the users would have to rotate the vessel around to find an example of the magazine they wanted to turn on or off, instead of just clicking the engine to have a list of all the installed magazines. This was easier to code by having the engine have the KSPEvents, not the magazines. Switching the KSPActions from the engine to the magazines would conflict with this code architecture.

In the action group list, I am unsure [a] how to remove actions from the list and where to put the code to dynamically update the list to reflect the current loadout of magazine types. That is why all the magazine types appear even though some types are not installed on the vessel. I put in safeguard so if you add an action group for a non-present magazine type, nothing bad happens.

I was unsure if a toggle action was a desirable option or not. And yes, it would make the list even longer.

You might have noticed, but when in space the explosions happen behind the craft every time, you don't propel away from them. See the bottom video from hoojiwana for details ^^

Only real thing missing now is a visible canister drop :wink:

Yes, I noticed when one reaches the limit of the atmosphere the explosions suddenly start keeping pace with the vessel. I expressed a concern about this about fifty pages ago, but people were dismissive about it. I create the explosions by a call to FXMonger.Explode, the explosions traveling backwards was not done by me. Maybe if I make the explosion first, then accelerating the ship, things will be fixed. Maybe.

Trouble with canister drops is that they are fired at 45 gs to a speed of 90 meters per second, they travel to a point 23 meters below the pusher plate. Each canister is 0.6 meters tall. In other words they are tiny objects visible for a quarter of a second. I'm not sure how visible they are.

I would like to make some sort of cone shaped flash from the detonation to the pusher plate, representing the plasma flare. Unfortunately everybody says that Unity does not do volumetric lights very well.

Edited by nyrath

Trouble with canister drops is that they are fired at 45 gs to a speed of 90 meters per second, they travel to a point 23 meters below the pusher plate. Each canister is 0.6 meters tall. In other words they are tiny objects visible for a quarter of a second. I'm not sure how visible they are.

I can't say that I've ever noticed them. EDIT: I just tried to capture it on video and there doesn't appear to be anything there.

Here's a short video with a few other things I've spotted, explosive effects trailing north for example. I don't know how much of what I spotted is down to your plugin, and not just part of the game.

Jeb also absolutely loves the Orion, I've rarely seen him so ecstatic about anything.

Edited by hoojiwana

Atomic Blimps, because someone needed to.

It's surprisingly slow with just the 0.88Mn Nukes. I only hit about 150 m/s.

I think I'll try bigger nukes next.

At lower altitudes you lose an awful lot of velocity very quickly to drag.

I can't say that I've ever noticed them. EDIT: I just tried to capture it on video and there doesn't appear to be anything there.

Ah, no, you misunderstand. Boosterspice was hinting that it would be real nice if I added the canisters.

I was explaining that it would appear to be a lot of work for something that might not even be visible. But I will look into it.

Atomic Blimps, because someone needed to.

It's surprisingly slow with just the 0.88Mn Nukes. I only hit about 150 m/s.

I think I'll try bigger nukes next.

Oh, lordy, I've created a monster! It never ceases to amaze me the innovative ways people have found to use an atomic bomb powered rocket! Cool stuff.

Edited by nyrath

Here's a short video with a few other things I've spotted, explosive effects trailing north for example. I don't know how much of what I spotted is down to your plugin, and not just part of the game.

Very interesting! I thought that holding the Z key down would launch bombs at the same rate as throttle at 60% to 100%, with a delay of 0.8 seconds. But that obviously not the case, the overheating proves that.

What the heck was that red bar that kept appearing next to the green bombs left display on the stack indicator? Was that an overheating warning or something?

The north trailing effects is apparently a Unity 3D thing, that is, I didn't program it.

And apparently there is something dreadfully wrong with the explosion sound.

Was that an overheating warning or something?

And apparently there is something dreadfully wrong with the explosion sound.

That is the stock engine overheat warning popping up. If you had enough bombs firing for long enough you could probably overheat it completely.

The explosion sound was mixing with the air-going-very-fast sound and so KSP didn't agree with it.

That is the stock engine overheat warning popping up. If you had enough bombs firing for long enough you could probably overheat it completely.

At one point I did put the heat-per-bomb just a little bit higher. The rocket turned a pretty glowy yellow color just before the engine exploded.

Marvelous! Looks like a NASA educational presentation. You make it look so easy!

Any chance of releasing the .craft file?

Of course but you need tons of mods for this :) But i'm going to put it in the Craft exchange thread soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.