Dock and KABOOOM Bug

NeoMorph

Has anyone figured out what causes the self destruct when you dock with some rockets or bases. It's not SAS as I have made sure that was turned off. I even left the SAS units off my ships to try fixing it. I have come across it with several craft and when I think it's one thing (ie a piece of a ladder intruding on the docking port) I remove it and it still happens.

I just had a perfectly serviceable rocket blow up multiple times after reloading, restarting the game, restarting the PC, saying a prayer... basically trying ANYTHING to get the thing to work right and it just keeps blowing up as soon as I dock. I docked lined up perfectly, Mechjeb turned off, docking speed was 0.2m/s and KABOOOOOOOOM.

There is just something weird about the docking code that when it changes viewpoint from the docking ship to the whole new ship (docking ship plus whatever you dock to) where it just folds the whole thing up. I thought it might have been a mod but I have had it happen in stock mode too.

Anyone know what is really causing this?

EDIT: I just realised the common denominator of every incident.... it is the shielded docking port on the one ship and a normal docking port on the other. As soon as they touch they go kaboom. While it is always this mix that this happens with I know that I have docked normal to shielded many times....

Edited by NeoMorph

It isn't the docking port type. I dock covered/uncovered all the time.

It happens to me if the ports are connected to the ship by the small struts or the thin I-beams. The ship wobbles to **** and flies apart.

I was docking solar panels to my Duna Station. Got around it by decoupling the modules and they floated onto the station. Only docked one of two, and drained heaps of valuable RCS.

I eventually abandoned the ship in Ike orbit, set the autopilot to retrograde thrust for the remainder of the fuel and said BYEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... and to add insult to injury KSP CRASHED JUST BEFORE THE DARN THING HIT THE GROUND. At that point I said "Enough is enough" and shut it down for the day... err... night... OMG... MORNING!

I docked two components together on the surface of Minmus only to watch the whole thing do a slow motion somersault. But somehow nothing was damaged and I was able to hit time warp as soon as it landed back upright. I did this with another identical component, but nothing happened. That's the only time this kind of docking weirdness has happened to me.

I had a other problem I docked two-micro probes, they all started turning very quiqckly once docked, so I pressed . to kill the rotation, and than KA-BOOM! 5 probes were going at 1/2 speed of light, and there were only 2 probes! I switched to it, it looked like debris. Very weird. Jebediah wasn't on board!

I had one probe that I had landed to mark my Kethane mine. Totally inert. I wanted to get a view from the probe last night and switched to it and the probe began spinning and then bouncing off its landing gear before going BOOOM. It was one of the probes that was originally attached to the problem ship in this thread. I think that ship was cursed... well, I know it was... I cursed it long and hard lol.

Had a similar problem perhaps that I managed to remedy.

Had a base and was landing a rover but missed by a few km, so I drove up to the base and soon as I got close enough to see it clearly it exploded.

Managed to avoid the explosion by decoupling a part that was dock and secured with quantum struts, after that no explosion.

Never had any problems with the shielded docking ports so far...

Nope, I haven't figured it out. I just had it happen to me last night. After about an hour of tracking down a lag bug (I had to reinstall Mapsat. For some reason after jettisoning my first stage after take off with my probe, it would lag to one frame every 3-4s instead of my launch frame rate of around 25-30 or so FPS). Well I got the probe up to my Jool ship and every. single. time. I docked the ship would fly apart within about a second or two. Didn't matter if I docked with ASAS on or off on the Jool ship or the probe. It would just fly apart. So I gave up and burned for Jool without the mapping satellite. I'll send it along on its own mission.

It seemed sort of like it is an issue with the dock connector between the drive sections and the station section of the Jool ship as that is where it would suddenly buck like a bronco the instant I docked. Anyway, I gave up after 10 attempts (quick saved about 5 seconds before docking).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.