Munar Express! Get there the fastest!

Doesn't look like this challenge survived the form wipe, so I'm gonna revive it.

The aim is simple: Get from KSC to the Mun as fast as possible.

Rules:

No hyperedit, teleporting, save editing, etc.

Engines, fuel tanks, and command pods must be stock, or KSPX. You may use whatever you like apart from that, but must declare what you've used.

(See below for the exception.)

Required are photos with MET visible at take of, and with MET visible on the Mun. Your time will be judged based on this.

For return trips, two more photos are required. The moment you throttle up on the Mun, with MET visible, and the moment you touch down on Kerbin with (-you guessed it-) MET visible.

Extra photos illustrating the trip are appreciated.

Also, it does not count if the Kerbal or probe does not survive the landing.

Loosing parts is OK, but simply smashing something on the surface does not count.

There will be two main categories: One way trips and return trips.

Subcatagories will be added based on the number of kerbals that went for the trip, if this gets enough replies.

Another category may be added if someone wants to try using spaceport ion engines (mod ones or otherwise) to see how fast they can get there. But you must declare what engine pack you're using.

The leader board will be made here once there is one.

Edited by Tw1

Ok, lets get this started. This was my attempt. I've used mechjeb, and some novapunch struts between tanks, and novapunch landing legs.

I stuck my little SSTO rocket on my 48 ton lifter. (The SSTO is a fraction of that.)

The Mun was almost in a perfect position.

Hh4ldUW.png

At about ten kilometers, I set my target as the Mun. No mucking around in orbit this time.

ZgsSLsk.png

I continued to burn until the last stage of the launch vehicle was used up, with Danfrod there thinking I'm crazy.

T2CGWJi.png

After some small corrections, I had a trajectory straight for the Mun.

96yu5MN.png

I entered the Mun's SOI with more speed than I'd ever done before. I began cautiously slowing down. - no prize if you end up a splatter on the surface.

DiEFpZo.png

fdWFeHg.png

Taking advantage of my high TWR, the main deceleration burn was undertaken a lot closer to the ground.

a9XMuSP.jpg

And we've made it! This was a one way trip, so it doesn't matter that I didn't exactly land straight.

4gs4WW3.png

Nfd1q7l.png

One hour and 19 minuets. Very fast.

But I reckon You can do better!

Your second post says there's no prize for splatting on the surface, but that doesn't seem to be anywhere in the main post. If that's the case, can you add it?

Thought it would go with out saying, but sure. No reason why not :)

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.