[0.21.x] KerbCom Avionics 0.3.0.6 Alpha (29 August) - now with video!

ZRM

Is there anywhere I can download this mod? Seems like the link has been removed. I'd really like to try it out.

The last release was removed by the mods due to me not including the source in the download or making the source available. The next version is nearly ready to be packaged for release, and will include the source, so this problem will not happen again.

Nice to see an update. A little confused on the installation though. I have been using the previous version and have made copies and modified my Kerbal Engineering parts to be the 'host' parts for RCSBalancer. I have also modified all instances of 'name = ModuleRCS' to read 'name = ModuleARCS' on ALL rcs parts in my install.

In this circumstance how would I install version 0.2?

edit1: I don't have ModuleManager installed and am reluctant to install yet another mod.

Edited by Gristle
additional info

Nice to see an update. A little confused on the installation though. I have been using the previous version and have made copies and modified my Kerbal Engineering parts to be the 'host' parts for RCSBalancer. I have also modified all instances of 'name = ModuleRCS' to read 'name = ModuleARCS' on ALL rcs parts in my install.

In this circumstance how would I install version 0.2?

Ah, I forgot to add details on how to migrate to the new version. If you made backups of the parts you edited, replace them with those. The way the plugin works now, you should not need to edit any stock parts. You will need to undo the changes you made previously.

Edit: There, I've added clarification to the Installation issues section.

Edited by ZRM

Ah, I forgot to add details on how to migrate to the new version. If you made backups of the parts you edited, replace them with those. The way the plugin works now, you should not need to edit any stock parts. You will need to undo the changes you made previously.

Ummm...yea...restore my backups...I did make backups, right?

Actually I used Notepad++ to do a mass find-replace. Should be easy enough to undo. I take it I'll need to modify my host parts and add the new module name "KCAvionics' instead of 'ModuleRCSComputer'?

Ummm...yea...restore my backups...I did make backups, right?

Actually I used Notepad++ to do a mass find-replace. Should be easy enough to undo. I take it I'll need to modify my host parts and add the new module name "KCAvionics' instead of 'ModuleRCSComputer'?

Yes, in your case that is required (and it's 'ModuleKCAvionics' not 'KCAvionics'). I have only made ModuleManager configs for MechJeb and stock command pods.

Also, be sure to check out the example craft I have added to the main post. It was made using MechJeb as the host part for ModuleKCAvionics. You can change this if necessary. I am actually surprised at how well it flies. I can land easily with it. Just make sure you keep SAS enabled.

Does the change back to 'ModuleRCS' in parts mean that other mods that use 'ModuleRCS' will now work correctly? I'm specifically thinking of the RCSBuildAid mod.

Yes, it will now work with RCSBuildAid. Though you don't really need RCSBuildAid any more, except to find the most fuel efficient port layout, as KCA deals with any torque/translation issues.

I'm seeing the issue where the RCS animation plays even though RCS isn't enabled that ModuleARCS fixed. So far I'm only seeing this on the B9 S2 Command pod.

Is this on a flight that existed before you installed the new version? I thought I had fixed this as I have yet to come across it myself using the new implementation.

Is this on a flight that existed before you installed the new version? I thought I had fixed this as I have yet to come across it myself using the new implementation.

No, new flight right out of the SPH. The B9 R12 RCS block was fine.

update: on a Restart Flight the R12 is now showing the animation.

Edited by Gristle
update

No, new flight right out of the SPH. The B9 R12 RCS block was fine.

update: on a Restart Flight the R12 is now showing the animation.

Hmmm. I have now managed to reproduce this, though it only happens sometimes, and only on certain RCS blocks (I have never seen it on the stock RCS block, which is what I used for testing). It also seems that if it occurs on one RCS block, it will also occur on all of the other RCS blocks it is in symmetry with.

I have no idea why this happens.

You can replace ModuleRCS in configs with MyRCSModule (search and replace) to fix this as a workaround.

Edit: Now I have added the workaround to the OP.

Edited by ZRM

Great release - I just had a play with your sample craft it is certainly the best handling VTOL mod around :)

I suppose we will have to mount engines at angles until gimabling support is in?

A couple of suggestions:

The sensitivity sliders need to be the same length (as each other), probably longer, and ideally with a text readout and/or edit box to manually set vars.

How about save / load of profiles in the config file? That way, you could configure a setup, name it and then recall it at flight start rather than having to set up each time.

Great release - I just had a play with your sample craft it is certainly the best handling VTOL mod around :)

I suppose we will have to mount engines at angles until gimabling support is in?

A couple of suggestions:

The sensitivity sliders need to be the same length (as each other), probably longer, and ideally with a text readout and/or edit box to manually set vars.

How about save / load of profiles in the config file? That way, you could configure a setup, name it and then recall it at flight start rather than having to set up each time.

Thank you for the feedback! I was sat here, watching the download counter rack up, not knowing whether people were enjoying the mod or getting frustrated by it. I was just hoping that it was so good no one had time to reply.

Yes, you will have to angle your engines until gimbals are supported.

I know the sensitivity sliders and the need to change settings every time you start a flight are not ideal, but I am focussing on gameplay features for the time being.

Once it is at the top of my to-do list, I plan to add "tweakables" to the VAB/SPH in Action Group mode, similar to the way it is done in Modular Fuel System.

Edit: Also, do you feel the UI explains itself well enough - e.g. the need to enable engine control, select auto-trim, tweak settings and then activate the engines for the example craft?

Edited by ZRM

Now checking out the update. GUI is easy to understand, and the help texts describe the modes well.

Did forget to enable engine control the first time and wondered for five seconds why nothing was happening, but that was it.

Is the example craft supposed to be part of the download?

Now checking out the update. GUI is easy to understand, and the help texts describe the modes well.

Did forget to enable engine control the first time and wondered for five seconds why nothing was happening, but that was it.

Is the example craft supposed to be part of the download?

I am keeping the example craft separate for the time being. If you did not notice it the link for it is the "Here" starting the sentence about it. I will make that more obvious.

Thank you for the feedback! I was sat here, watching the download counter rack up, not knowing whether people were enjoying the mod or getting frustrated by it. I was just hoping that it was so good no one had time to reply.

Registered specifically so I could give feedback and say, thusfar, this mod has been awesome. It turned my semi-balanced (and hellishly unstable) VTOL spaceplane into an absolute dream to fly.

Edit: Also, do you feel the UI explains itself well enough - e.g. the need to enable engine control, select auto-trim, tweak settings and then activate the engines for the example craft?

So far, yeah, no real questions. I'd personally like to request a text field so I can manually input the sensitivity percentage in a later version though.

Very nice mod. The balancing capabilities are impressive. I just wanted to mention that having a KerbCom Avionics part on my plane causes Firespitter propeller animations to not play. The propellers still work, I just can't see them spinning. Perhaps related to the RCS bug?

Also, it'd be great if there was a way to save the settings on a given vehicle. Perhaps it could be done similar to how B9's vtol engines can be setup from the screen where you edit action groups?

Keep up the good work!

Registered specifically so I could give feedback and say, thusfar, this mod has been awesome. It turned my semi-balanced (and hellishly unstable) VTOL spaceplane into an absolute dream to fly.

Thank you as well for the feedback. Mod makers do not know whether it is worth continuing their effort if they do not receive feedback. I'm glad it's working well for you.

So far, yeah, no real questions. I'd personally like to request a text field so I can manually input the sensitivity percentage in a later version though.

That is on my to-do list, as I think I might have mentioned either here or in the development thread. However, it is not very high on the list as engine gimbal support will stay at the top until it is done.
Very nice mod. The balancing capabilities are impressive. I just wanted to mention that having a KerbCom Avionics part on my plane causes Firespitter propeller animations to not play. The propellers still work, I just can't see them spinning. Perhaps related to the RCS bug?

I have not tested with Firespitter parts yet, but I can think of a particular reason why that would happen, and it is not related to the RCS bug. I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, it'd be great if there was a way to save the settings on a given vehicle. Perhaps it could be done similar to how B9's vtol engines can be setup from the screen where you edit action groups?

Keep up the good work!

That is exactly what I am planning (both the settings editor and the "good work"). However, as above, my priority is engine gimbal support right now.

What does everyone think about the possible release of this mod on Spaceport?

I am concerned that, judging from several comments on other mods where users just don't follow the installation instructions, the mean competence levels of users there may not be high enough to install and use the mod correctly, resulting in a bad rating. The lack of gimbal support may not help opinions either. Please correct me if this is in fact an overwhelming minority of users.

However, if I do release it on Spaceport I would very much like a suitable screenshot to use as its icon. If anybody has a particularly aesthetically pleasing VTOL plane they would like to provide a picture of, I would be grateful. My example craft is not exactly photogenic. Alternatively, if you can think of a suitable graphic to use as an icon other than a screenshot, please post your suggestions (or send them via PM).

What does everyone think about the possible release of this mod on Spaceport?

I am concerned that, judging from several comments on other mods where users just don't follow the installation instructions, the mean competence levels of users there may not be high enough to install and use the mod correctly, resulting in a bad rating. The lack of gimbal support may not help opinions either. Please correct me if this is in fact an overwhelming minority of users.

However, if I do release it on Spaceport I would very much like a suitable screenshot to use as its icon. If anybody has a particularly aesthetically pleasing VTOL plane they would like to provide a picture of, I would be grateful. My example craft is not exactly photogenic. Alternatively, if you can think of a suitable graphic to use as an icon other than a screenshot, please post your suggestions (or send them via PM).

I would go ahead and release it, making sure to carefully state the instructions in the appropriate place. Having never posted a mod myself, I don't know how Spaceport works.

Oh, and I'm going to try this one out once I've downloaded it. I wonder what you'll do with this mod once .21 comes out? The ASAS is supposed to be much improved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.