Fastest to the Island and BACK!

Ok, just came up with this challenge a minute ago, it could be quite fun. Lets see who can make it from the KSS runway, land on the island landing strip, and come back the FASTEST!

So, lists and such

Rules

• You must use a manned craft, no probes
  • No mods can be used, this is a STOCK challenge
  • The craft must begin its time trail on the runway
  • Proof is needed for your entry to be valid

So about that Proof? You'll need 3 screencaps.

1. Your craft taking off from the KSS main runway, THE CRAFT MUST BE ABOVE THE KSS RUNWAY WITH THE TIMER STARTED! (just realized you could effectively drive your craft a decent ways to make up distance)
    screenshot38i.png
  2. Your craft landed on the Island Landing Strip at it's altitude (48m). Note this can be a touch and go, your craft does not need to come to a complete stop on the runway, but your screen must show the correct altitude!
    screenshot36en.png
  3. Last but not least, your craft back at KSS, STOPED on the runway. This screen must show that your craft has come to a complete stop and will show your time in the top left. Rally Raid Style :)
    screenshot37pa.png

All forms of propulsion are welcome, as long as you are using STOCK PARTS!

There will be 2 catagories

Rocket Engines: A craft with any rocket motor on it is in this catagory

Jet Engines: A craft that uses ONLY Jet Propulsion

I'm not sure if there will be a big difference in the times but we'll see.

GOOD LUCK!!!:sticktongue:

Edited by BikeKayakSki

I posted a time of 3:28 in a similar challenge. But I used a probe, unmanned. But the challenge also required coming (almost) to a stop on the gravel runway, so I could save some time there. I'll try to modify that plane to switch the probe for a manned cockpit and see what I can do

1. I did land with all 3 wheels, it's just hard sometimes to get a screenshot at exactly the right moment as it requires taking a hand off the controls. The rear of the plane just happened to lift up a little bit as I tried to take the screenshot.

2. I'm pretty sure I actually have the front wheel touching the ground in that image.

3. The altitude while on the ground differs depends on where the plane's center of mass (or cockpit?) is. The OP's plane sits very low to the ground, so its grounded altitude will be lower than most. If you put your landing gear on stilts you could have an altitude above 50 with all wheels on the ground.

Proof that my plane rests at 49m:

91kVm9Jl.jpg

Edited by zarakon

Sorry to say but it looks like yours is invalid because you were at 49M not 48M like the rules say :( I must say that is mighty quick though! Cheers!

Kind of funny you say that when both of your pictures above don't even follow your own rules. First picture was taken before takeoff, last one wasn't landed, let alone stopped.

1. I did land with all 3 wheels, it's just hard sometimes to get a screenshot at exactly the right moment as it requires taking a hand off the controls. The rear of the plane just happened to lift up a little bit as I tried to take the screenshot.

2. I'm pretty sure I actually have the front wheel touching the ground in that image.

3. The altitude while on the ground differs depends on where the plane's center of mass is. The OP's plane sits very low to the ground, so its grounded altitude will be lower than most. If you put your landing gear on stilts you could have an altitude above 50 with all wheels on the ground.

Proof that my plane rests at 49m:

91kVm9Jl.jpg

I am sorry you have a point that it is hard to get that perfect screenshot, just trying to make it fair.

Kind of funny you say that when both of your pictures above don't even follow your own rules. First picture was taken before takeoff, last one wasn't landed, let alone stopped.

What are you talking about? I never submitted a photo on this forum.

I am reminded of the Pizza Delivery Challenge. Of course, the rules differed a little.

I never managed to beat Zarakon in that either, even with more thrust, better brakes, less weight and more lift from mod parts. Seems I just can't fly :(

Sorry to say but it looks like yours is invalid because you were at 49M not 48M like the rules say :( I must say that is mighty quick though! Cheers!

What I think has happened, is that the cockpit was higher than the OP. Could be how wheels are placed, could be other things...

The altitude of the craft depends on the altitude of the cockpit, not the bottom of the plane (ie. the wheels). It's likely that the runway is at 48.9m and rounds it down or something like that, so any slight deviation from the height used in the OP could push it to 49m.

In other words, you can't disallow 49m because it depends entirely on vehicle design.

I never managed to beat Zarakon in that either, even with more thrust, better brakes, less weight and more lift from mod parts. Seems I just can't fly :(

In both this challenge and that one, I start by flying straight upward, then gradually tilt down until I'm basically divebombing toward the runway, almost like a ballistic trajectory. Gaining altitude early lets you save a lot of time because you can go a lot faster for the rest of the flight. I hit around 8000m altitude and 800 m/s speed. With your crazy engines you could probably do this in under 3 minutes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.