Geosync problems and Remotetech

I have a base on eve, and mun. Signal can be patchy from remote tech due to my satalites going out of geosynchronous orbit. Can i get some tips on deploying them. Currently i launch 4 in the right distances to cover all 4 corners of orbit but they all launch with 1/2 m/s and slightly out from each other so they deposition after a warp for something else. Is there a way to keep them in position in geosynchronous from each other with out them drifting. I ask here as this is more of vanilla question than remote as i just want to have stable geosync.

Should i use more than 4 to help stop the drift as more sats = more chance to be in range. Thanks guys.

Since it's basically impossible to place the satellites so that they don't drift, I usually either place more satellites in orbit than I need and hope that they don't get too bunched up such that my coverage really degrades or I edit the save file and set the orbits so that they satellites aren't drifting.

Editing the save only works so long as the satellite(s) remain in the "on rails" simulation, so if you have to approach the satellite(s) again for some reason and the physics loads, the orbits will drift.

I had this crazy idea....researching real-world satellite arrays! What I found is that if the satellite is high enough, then a 45 degree orbit above the body will allow for visibility in many situations. A couple of those will definitely strengthen your array. I would have never thought of that.

in a geosync orbit the magical word is inclination. don't put your satelites in the same inclination since this gives the satelites more "vision" to have contact to the other ones. Try it. Now.

The way i manage the signal is to have 5 smaller satellites in a geosynchronous orbit around Kerbin i can never get exact so they will drift over time hence 5 of them. then to do the Interplanetary Coms i have 2 large long-range satellites on a large inclined orbit around Kerbin (Roughly between Mimius and Mun) and these are pointed at each planet.

Doing it this way the Interplanetary satellites always have coms and because Kerbin is quiet small at this range you never lose coms..

I am sure there are much better ways of this i do it this way because the small satellites are normally the first thing i put in space.

in a geosync orbit the magical word is inclination. don't put your satelites in the same inclination since this gives the satelites more "vision" to have contact to the other ones. Try it. Now.

Not sure what you mean here. The only inclination for geosynchronous orbit is 0 degrees equatorial inclination. Anything else will not be geosynchronous.

• 1 year later...
Not sure what you mean here. The only inclination for geosynchronous orbit is 0 degrees equatorial inclination. Anything else will not be geosynchronous.

This may be a little late, but: geosynchronous != geostationary.

I have a base on eve, and mun. Signal can be patchy from remote tech due to my satalites going out of geosynchronous orbit. Can i get some tips on deploying them. Currently i launch 4 in the right distances to cover all 4 corners of orbit but they all launch with 1/2 m/s and slightly out from each other so they deposition after a warp for something else. Is there a way to keep them in position in geosynchronous from each other with out them drifting. I ask here as this is more of vanilla question than remote as i just want to have stable geosync.

Should i use more than 4 to help stop the drift as more sats = more chance to be in range. Thanks guys.

Check out the RT guide (NOT tutorial) in my sig.

When trying for any orbit that requires the satellite to remain in a specific place, what matters the most is orbital period. Not eccentricity, not inclination. As long as your satellites are in nearly circular, nearfly 0^ inclination orbits, if they have a 6:00:00 period they'll be fine. Not being totally circular or 0^ inclination will mean they wobble about a fixed point in the sky by a very short distance, like Ike does at Duna, but it won't be enough to break an RT connection. Of course, it's nearly impossible to get precisely a 6:00:00 orbital period, but as long as you're off by no more than 1/2 a second, you'll be fine for a decade or so, then will only need a slight nudge to get back where you want to be.

Anyway, if you focus on orbital period, you only need 3 kerbostationary satellites.

What Geshosskopf said.

When I put Comstilation (My name for com sat program) sats up I follow the following process. First I launch to a curricular 100k orbrit. Then when I am on the opposite side of KSC, I raise my apoapsis to 2868.7 KM. When I get there I am 1/4 turn away from KSC. I then raise my orbit until its period is 4:30. I can usually hit this within a second or so. Then every time I get to apoapsis I am 1/4 turn ahead of last time. I release a sat and have it raise the orbit until a 6 hour period. I normally can get within 1/2 a second. This produces a perfect square that lasts many days. You need some sort of thruster on the sat, or simply releasing it introduces enough error to limit your sat network life it about 100 days. Also if you have a thruster on the sat itself you can then leave your deployment craft on its 4:30 orbit for the next release.

This setup will release 4 sats instead of 3 but this only means that they can drift longer before it becomes a problem.

It wouldn't be that hard to modify for 3 sats. From 100k you boost 1/4 ahead of KSC. You will reach apoapsis above KSC. Boost for a 4 hour orbit instead of 4:30. Release a sat and extend for 6 hour period.

Signal can be patchy from remote tech due to my satalites going out of geosynchronous orbit.

I just want to be clear on the issue: The problem is maintaining the link from KSC to your orbital satellites, right? Not further down the chain, e.g. Kerbin to Eve or Eve orbit to the surface?

This may be a little late, but: geosynchronous != geostationary.

Yeah, just a bit late. Personally I don't know how much has changed with RT over the last year, but I believe there are more recent discussions on this topic.

Also, please avoid dredging up old threads just to clarify a point that is 17 months old.

Cheers,

~Claw