TT's Mod Releases - Development suspended till further notice

TouhouTorpedo

In your case, I *think* there's a way now to have multiple parts using the same resources, so all those different wheels you've got with the same model/textures but some with or without steering, power, or both, could just use one set of models, textures, and resources. No idea how to do it though, if I had to guess I'd say combine the part.cfg files with each one in its own PART{} wrapper. Granted, it's also possible to turn steering/power on and off via a right click config option like the stock wheels, but that might require modifying the plugin. Now I'm back I might try that 'multiple part CFG thing' just to see if it works.

power/steering on/off could be done in the plugin but there isn't much point when its more about building it structured in the first place to not need to do that lol

power/steering on/off could be done in the plugin but there isn't much point when its more about building it structured in the first place to not need to do that lol

Yeah, I don't disagree. It's annoying having to flip it on and off every time I launch it. You missed my edit though, after I tried putting all four of the 'TTcarwheel_' variants into the same .cfg file.

Short Version: it worked. All four variants loaded as separate, working parts from one model, one texture, and one .cfg file (with the four PART{} definitions inside it) in just one folder.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if it might be possible to get the noarch variants in there too...they use the same texture so if there's a way to put two models in and have it load the second one with the first texture... now I'm really going out on a limb, lol.

Edited by Tiron

Oh yeah I've no doubts that'd work either. The problem is loading four different models and seeing any benefit. Because a lot of the different components of each part are embedded in the heirarchy loading them with MODEL{ } wouldn't yield the right results, unless it can allow you to choose parent transforms.

Oh yeah I've no doubts that'd work either. The problem is loading four different models and seeing any benefit. Because a lot of the different components of each part are embedded in the heirarchy loading them with MODEL{ } wouldn't yield the right results, unless it can allow you to choose parent transforms.

Well a simple .cfg file edit didn't work. I moved the base noarch's model into the TTcarwheel_ folder renamed as model1.mu, and changed the mesh= parameter in that PART{} entry to match. It loaded the fifth part alright, but it ignored the mesh= setting (or maybe I did it wrong, I really don't have a clue, I'm just guessing at stuff) and loaded it with the 'arch' model anyway.

But at the very least it looks like you can now do variants on a part as just extra entries in the .cfg file if they share the same model[Edit: And texture, since it's specified in the model as I recall?]. Makes sense. Why else would you start requiring that PART{} wrapper except so that you can have more than one of them in the same file?

Edit: Well I don't know if it helps RAM usage any, but I do right now have all four of the arched littlecar wheels loading from one set of assets, so the download'd be smaller, at least.

Edit2: It occurs to me that this might cause problems with some of the landing gear that have different textures for the different variants, that make them say what variant it is right on the casing.

Edited by Tiron

Yup. See this is pretty much why I didn't bother initially. The little car wheels also all have different models. No single one of them is the same. They do have identical components within those models, which under normal circumstances could be shared. But since they are embedded in the model hierarchy and can't be up the top of the model (else they won't work properly) It means sharing models isn't ideal unless I wanted them all to look identical... Then they'd be impossible to differentiate. The truckwheels do have some sharable assets that aren't within hierarchy, as in the arches, but sharing just the arches only is more or less a waste of time and effort for the end result. For the included textures as some do vary again the benefit isn't great.

The biggest benefit I've seen is just that people may find it easier to install (but I wouldn't be shocked to still see it be done wrong) and that modders might have a better time with it when doing things like their own textures. But then budding modders are also just as likely to update it to the newer system themselves anyway, as has been seen on the previous pages.

I wasn't actually expecting any issues moving to the new system. The biggest reasons really were that I didn't know how to take advantage of its new features (and really, still don't) to actually improve performance. Though I am aware now for texturers the new system is very useful.

Indeed it literally is just part wrappers and placement thats needed to do it. I've just not got around to doing so. But as you've seen, its not hard to change manually if you're desperate for those extra features, and it'll run without provided the instructions are read through.

When I do make the change though, I'm going to drop the DR hinges out of the mod. They just cause more harm than good in general.

This can be done for sure now, you can rest and get rid of that problem. Sirkut released his pack in MSI and its really really good.

At the moment I've got two things I'm very slowly working on when I've time.

Seat Fixer - plugin that lets Kerbals start in seats. - partly complete, still really buggy

Plot B1 in Kerbal City - started but having a few inspiration issues to get it ready

I'm a bit slow as I'm on an 8-5 job with a few other commitments at the moment.

got a week off though after next week, so I might be able to get some stuff done then at a decent pace.

Seat Fixer - plugin that lets Kerbals start in seats. - partly complete, still really buggy

Plot B1 in Kerbal City - started but having a few inspiration issues to get it ready

I'm a bit slow as I'm on an 8-5 job with a few other commitments at the moment.

got a week off though after next week, so I might be able to get some stuff done then at a decent pace.

You should take that week and just relax and forget about KSP.

Seat Fixer - plugin that lets Kerbals start in seats. ...

Seat loader plugin would be awesome. !! :D

I have been struggling for hours messing with the cfg for the seat trying to make it load kerbals on launch.

But have had no luck. I don't know enough to make dll's.

The furthest I've come is to be able to choose which kerbal to put in the "error spam chair of instant kerbal poof!". :P

Its expecting internals which doesn't exist, and trying to call random phrases listed in the .mu file doesn't help. hehe..

The only way i've been able to add them without manually walking over to the seat is to edit a quicksave and reload.

Which is more work than actually walking over to the craft and boarding the seat :P

So seat loader plugin yeah.

That would be awesome. +1 and thumbs up and all of that.

I've heard that seats are actually being reworked for a future version of KSP now, so either starting this development in the first place (or moaning about them often enough) has had the desired effect.

I don't know if they'll be in 0.22, but I beleive we're going to get the command seats we've wished for soon!

Could you update your part mods to use 0.21 folder structure? You could make Multiwheels share textures (decreasing memory load) and greatly reduce the size of the Mk3 expansion packs by texture sharing.

Could you update your part mods to use 0.21 folder structure? You could make Multiwheels share textures (decreasing memory load) and greatly reduce the size of the Mk3 expansion packs by texture sharing.

MK3 Expansion everything has a different texture map, so no space saving there is possible. Sure Multiwheels could texture share, but I don't plan to do any update until either I've got any actual content to add (would like to do a recode of its basics to relate action to the control transform rather than the vessel). If you're desperate though, its not hard to adjust the CFG yourself to the new system.

Yesterday I saw an old fire truck up on blocks with its wheels removed. This got me thinking, would it be possible to create a part that was just the wheel hub / axle and be able to attach rim/tire parts of various sizes and styles to this one wheel hub?

The wheels aren't starting, i made sure the wheels are powered wheels, i also have engines and i supplied them with the correct resource. I also tried redownloading the mod but it is still not working. Could anybody help me?

EDIT: NVM! The first page LIED to me, you had to physically put the engine onto the wheels, awesome mod though :D

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

The wheels aren't starting, i made sure the wheels are powered wheels, i also have engines and i supplied them with the correct resource. I also tried redownloading the mod but it is still not working. Could anybody help me?

EDIT: NVM! The first page LIED to me, you had to physically put the engine onto the wheels, awesome mod though :D

Actually you don't, but if they're liquidfuel powered engines the engines have to be attached to the fuel tanks, either directly or with a fuel line/crossflow capable parts. Monoprop and electricity propagate automatically throughout a craft, liquidfuel does not.