FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

Is it possible to get a version of the kupola without the seethrough windows?

Edit: could we perhaps get an intrim release without IVA??

Perhaps, although either way the Kupola will still be relegated to R0.03a.

With the bulkheads, what exactly is meant by "FusTek Compatible"?

The bulkheads are cosmetic structural elements that make the ends of fuel tanks look nice :D

Yesterday, I have installed "Fate" module (a pun on "Destiny") on my Horizon-2 station during KTS-19 mission

That, good sir, is one sexy spaceplane. B9 Aerospace pack I presume?

sumghai, have you though about writing some missions for your modules for use with the Mission Controller mod?

I'll probably leave it up to other modders to write their own missions with the ModuleManager DLL, since I'm more of a sandbox-mode type of guy.

this may sound silly, but what i'm looking forward to the most is the compressed TGA / MBM textures, my ksp has become incredibly laggy (and i have a very ott pc!) i was wondering what the problem could be and then i saw that it could be the textures! hoping it is, but thanks for these parts, absolutely fantastic!

Progress Report, 18 June 2013

Some experimenting in SolidWorks later, I've managed to devise a preliminary layout for the Habitation Module interior. For now, the only purpose of this information is to help me place viewports, but it has also given me an opportunity to think about Kerbal ergonomics, etc.

The first thing I did was to determine the actual usable interior volume of a typical Karmony module:

- Ignoring the tapered ends and accounting for the bulkheads (15.625 cm), this leaves 3.375 m for actual crew occupation.

- Modules nominally have a 2.5 m outer diameter, but one has to also account for the Whipple shielding layer outside, the inner pressure hull, and the gap in-between. This arrangement is designed such that the outer hull takes the brunt of any micrometeorite/debris impact, breaking the latter up into tiny chunks spread over a larger area, that the inner layer can more effectively resist.

- According to a 1998 ISS familiarization manual, US pressurized segments (from which fusty was inspired to make the original Karmony series) had a 1.27 mm (.05 in.) thick aluminium separated from the inner pressure hull by a 101.6 mm (4 in.) gap. This gives a total protective thickness of at least 102.87 mm.

- A common rule of thumb in KSP is that Kerbals are 64% the size of the average human, and as such most spacecraft have to be scaled accordingly. This gives the actual protective thickness as 102.87 mm x 64% = 65.84 mm.

- Given the average Kerbal's tendency to comically over/underengineer things, 80 mm seemed like a good round number.

Therefore, in the case of the Karmony series, the approximate usable interior volume is a cylinder 3.375 m long and 2.34 m in diameter.

The next thing to consider were minimal safe passageways and sleep station dimensions.

Some of you may recall my hamfisted analysis of Kerbal anatomical proportions last month, which gave an idealized bounding box of 0.9 x 0.5 x 0.5 m for a shirt-sleeve Kerbal (flight suits are not usually worn whilst working in pressurized compartments during orbit). This allowed me to quickly determine rough dimensions for a sleep station that can comfortably contain one Kerbal in a sleeping bag velcroed to the wall, along with one or two (unseen) personal effects.

As for the passageways, I found that a minimal 1.15 x 1.15 m square corridor would permit up to four Kerbals travelling lengthwise through each module, ideal for emergencies or Jeb's frequent announcements that he found something shiny off the starboard bow.

The remaining space could then be used for monopropellant tanks and general stowage / utilities.

Finally, there was the issue of laying out the Habitation areas along the length of the module:

- Viewports were included in each sleep station to counter claustrophobia. Presumably, Kerbals wanting a good night's sleep would pull down internal shutters anyway.

- Viewports had to also be spaced regularly (aesthetics) and kept well away from bulkheads (structural concerns).

- Toilet and shower facilities were considered essential for long-duration missions.

- The Galley would be the primary recreation and relaxation area, with a dining table, food heater (microwave ovens are very Kerbal), beverage dispenser, trash compactor, video conferencing screen(s) and possibly a stowable stationary bicycle.

The finalized configuration is depicted below in Figure 17, with allowances for partition wall thicknesses. In hindsight, I think that the corridor would have slightly truncated edges where illumination light strips could be fitted.

karmony_hab_module_iva_layout_by_sumghai-d69e508.png

Fig 17 - FusTek Karmony Habitation Module - IVA layout

I have a feeling I'll be able to get the Habitation Module external released by the end of the week, along with all the other new modules most of you guys have seen so far.

R0.02a released - see announcements thread for download link

R0.02a        19 June 2013 
---------------------------

Features:
- New Parts
- Karmony Habitation Module
- Karmony Habitation Module Adapter
- Karmony Science Module
- Karmony Science Module Adapter
- Karmony Utilities Module
- Karmony Utilities Module Adapter
- Karmony Bulkhead (2.5m cosmetic structural part)
- Karmony Habitation, Science and Utilities modules come with MechJeb2 support and toggleable window lights
- Karmony Utilities module come with RemoteTech (RemoteCommand) and Chatterer support, and also has a small RTG for powering small stations / outposts with less than four connected modules (Solar panels will be required for larger structures)
- Karmony Bulkhead converts any 2.5m fuselage or fuel tank into ones that match the FusTek aesthetic
- Can also be used in conjunction with the Karmony End Ring

Changes:
- Cost of Karmony module variants and Kuest Airlock increased to 8500 and 2500 respectively
- This makes them comparable to the half-sized stock PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container (4000), as Karmony module variants are twice the Hitchhiker's length and (allegedly) use superior construction techniques
- Monopropellant capacity in the Habitatation, Science, Logistics and Node modules reduced from 180 to 100
- Original value was considered too overpowered
- All models now use compressed TGA textures, due to a Unity bug that causes PNG images to load very slowly
- Those responsible for painting all the modules have been sacked
- Crew capacities for all modules have been adjusted:
- Nodes: 2 Kerbals
- Logistics: 2 Kerbals
- Habitation: 4 Kerbals
- Science: 4 Kerbals
- Utilities: 2 Kerbals
- Airlock: 1 Kerbal (Unchanged)

Bugs/Known Issues
- All crew-capable modules currently STILL use the default generic "UniKarmony" internal model
- Module-specific unique internals will come at a later date
- Karmony Habitation, Science and Utilities modules may have incorrectly-formatted resource outputs/requirements in the VAB/SPH part description
- This is due to various KSP internal PartModules not combining nicely in the part description
- Part functionality is not affected

I reckon I need a week's vacation from modding before I start thinking about R0.03a...

Now I can start adding things to my station. I have the FusTek truses and solar panels and tons of open docking ports to stick these on and these things look awesome. Having the different modules adds so much more variety and depth to a station. I can't wait until we get IVAs and they really start to look even more different. Speaking of IVAs, have you considered using the open KASPAR rack system?

Edited by Read have Read

Speaking of IVAs, have you considered using the open KASPAR rack system?

Technically, the KASPAR isn't for IVA - it's EVA-based cargo grabbing/transfer/attachment.

I've traded messages with nothke, and I'm very keen on working with him to make a set of Karmony-style modules that can hold KASPAR payload racks. But that'll probably come long after I've finished the core FusTek Station Parts Expansion.

Sumg, can we have a short status update on Kupola?

I haven't started on the Kupola yet - I've barely gotten R0.02a out the door!

Like I said, I'd like a one week holiday from modding before I start thinking about the Kupola and the pesky "Kerbals blow up modules on EVA" issue.

Okay, so I sort of lied about that one week vacation - I believe I can get a hotfix for the exploding airlock bug out by this weekend. THEN I'll have my vacation :D

Detonating airlock before all else; will keep people from screaming " My ship just fell apart despite a plethora of stuts and other stuff!!!!"

Any plans on making a 2.5 version of the airlock?

The Kuest Airlock that has already been released since R0.01a is 2.5m in diameter for the whole length of the module.

You may have been confused by my concept art with the 1.25m lockout chamber that I ultimately decided not to do.

R0.02.1a BUGFIX released - see announcements thread for download link

R0.02.1a BUGFIX    21 June 2013
---------------------------

Fixes
- Resolved exploding hatch issue with all Karmony modules
- Consequently, part origins / attachment nodes MAY be affected. Backup your persistence/quicksave files and crafts before installing this fix

Warning: This bugfix for the exploding EVA hatch issue MAY affect your savegame due to adjustments made to part origins / attachment nodes. Please backup your persistence/quicksave and craft files before installing this update.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause - however, it was down to either offsetting the part origins or continue having rapid unplanned disassmeblies whenever Jeb forces his way out of a blocked hatch.

By the way, does that mean I can have my one week vacation now? :D

Suggestion/Request:

Could we get a docking "umbilical" such as what was used to dock the Space Shuttle to the ISS, a small module to act as an extension/buffer so that large crafts don't get too close to other station modules. Something similar to your original kuest mock-up would work great, I just want something matching the FusTek aesthetic.

Could we get a docking "umbilical" such as what was used to dock the Space Shuttle to the ISS, a small module to act as an extension/buffer so that large crafts don't get too close to other station modules. Something similar to your original kuest mock-up would work great, I just want something matching the FusTek aesthetic.

Sounds perfectly reasonable - I've actually been thinking about a dedicated docking module for a while.

I'll start work on that and the Kupola right after my break.

Sounds perfectly reasonable - I've actually been thinking about a dedicated docking module for a while.

I'll start work on that and the Kupola right after my break.

Since you've already answered one of the questions I had (docking module), I might as well ask a few more. Do you have any plans for truss segments similar to the K1? Any additional station parts (solar panels, etc)?

I ask because I've been toying with the idea of trying my hand at some parts. I love these parts (and the original FusTeks), but I'd like to construct a whole station using the same theme as these. If you're going that route, thats great. If not, I might have to give it a try (for my own personal use at the very least)

Do you have any plans for truss segments similar to the K1? Any additional station parts (solar panels, etc)?

Personally, I'm not fond of the K1 truss, because its sides are composed of thick slabs rather than the latticework most people expect from trusses. And while truss sections would be much easier and fun to design that the pressurized modules (no airlock shenanigans! :D), I don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel given that Semni has some excellent THSS trusses that work really nicely with these parts.

So, yeah, while I'm having my week away from modding (doing some IRL postgrad stuff), I've have some thoughts about what I wanted to do next. Nothing is set in stone, but anyways:

R0.03a

Kupola Observation Module

- Similar to ISS Cupola and stock Panopticon

- 2 Kerbal capacity

- No flight instruments; strictly an observation module for faux robot arm / docking control

- Toggleable animated blast shutters (sliding segments for sides, iris for top circular window)

Karmony Warehouse Module

- For use with Orbital Construction Redux mod; essentially a "spare parts" tank.

- Not pressurized, will not hold any Kerbals, no viewports etc.

- Distinguished from similar-looking Logistics Module by different Module Identifier Symbol. (And hazard stripes. Lots of hazard stripes)

Docking Module

- Tentatively named "Kirs"

- 2 Kerbal capacity

- Half-length like the Kuest

- Possible Designs

- #1: "Stepped" design like original Kuest mockup in
Fig 1
, with separate 2.5m and 1.25m segments of equal length

- #2: Tapered design, with main 2.5m cylinder segment capped by a truncated cone tapering to 1.25m diameter

- #3: Telescoping (rigid) cylinders

- #4: ISS PMA with FusTek panelling

Karmony Node Covers (2 variants)

- Cosmetic structural elements for covering up unused docking recesses on the Mk III Node

- Plain and viewport variants

- Removable / reattachable via EVA (will require Kerbal Attachment System)

R0.04a

- IVAs for all released modules, up to and including those from R0.03a (
Good luck with that, sumghai...)

- Aesthetics will be a mix of ISS US segments and Squad's stock KSP internals

- Kupola may have Kerbals viewable from outside (seating positions correspond with IVA, and if no Kerbals, module will be empty)

- Will lay out general ideas / basic geometry

- Texturing will probably require external talent familiar with stock aesthetics

R0.05a

Karmony Hydroponics Module

- Standard full-length module

- 2 Kerbal capacity

- Racks upon racks of plants!

- Toggleable blast shutters to reveal plants (and any Kerbals) inside?

- IVA

Edited by sumghai
Added info on node covers

Personally, I'm not fond of the K1 truss, because its sides are composed of thick slabs rather than the latticework most people expect from trusses. And while truss sections would be much easier and fun to design that the pressurized modules (no airlock shenanigans! :D), I don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel given that Semni has some excellent THSS trusses that work really nicely with these parts.

Have to agree about the K1 aesthetically, but I do like the idea of it as a sort of primary component from which to expand the station. I'll have to try out THSS (seen it, just never DL).

Definitely looking forward to the docking and observation modules. Love the great work!

Sounds awesome!

Personally, for the docking module, I like the old kuest design; just my two cents.

I'm tempted to run a poll and gather everyone's thoughts on this. Unfortunately, it seems that I can't edit existing posts / topics to add one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.