Onega launcher + Kliper reentry ship for 0.20

soo, maybe of of you have seen it on the soyouz's thread, but i'll add it here too :)

the Onega Launcher + the Kliper reentry vehicle and it's orbital module.

(i designed a launcher this huge, because of the Kliper itself - it makes light rockets tumble because of it's wing lift)

the name 'onega' is the name of a soyouz style rocket intended to carry the russian Kliper orbital ship.

note : that thing has 944 parts - things get better as you jetisson parts :P

the construction technique used in it is very solid - almost no wobble with all engines gimballing and ASAS on.

note : the onega is not designed to be an asparagus. if you transform it into an asparagus, the core stage will be too heavy on separation. (it's designed to burn around 2/3rd of it's fuel before separation)

ascent profile :

the rocket has 6302 m/s of delta V (before using the Kliper) - so plenty of room for corrections if needed, the kliper's command pod torque is enough to steer the upper stage without rcs.

so just head to start your g-turn at 10000 meters, then go smoothly to the horizon (fast to 45° until 20000 meters, then more slowly to the horizon until 50000 meters - once at 50000 meters push your apoapsis to the desired height before circularizing.

(note, with a circularization in LKO, you might be able to use the upper stage as a transfer stage - the upper stage should have around 1400m/s of delta V remaining once in orbit)

abort : the escape tower will normally launch the kliper out of harm's way, just remember to deactivate the ASAS immediately after aborting, then hit '1' to separate the escape tower once the separatrons have finished their burn.

you can then glide your way safely to the ground.

The Kliper :

the kliper is a winged reentry ship, designed to carry up to 6 kerbals. (comes with two, and additional room for 4)

it come's with it's orbital module, which gives it around 1200 m/s of delta V.

it uses only linear RCS's, and is not wobbly - so very economic on RCS, it has plenty of RCS for docking manoeuvers. (dock by the rear of it's orbital module - there's a ladder on the orbital module for your kerbals to go from the modules to the orbital part, to reach more easily your space station)

when you have deorbited the kliper, jetisson the orbital module, and do the reentry nose first with the rest. (you can use or not the ASAS, the kliper can handle itself alone during reentry) the kliper will be hard to control until speed has dropped under 200m/s, before, it will want to go back to the prograde marker as soon as you release the controls.

landing :

the kliper is a great glider, aim for a landing speed around 50m/s, with a prograde marker max 10 degrees below horizon (else, your vertical velocity will be too important)

it can land even without KSC's runway, it's sturdy engough to land in the wild.

your kerbals can then exit the craft through the ladder at the rear of the kliper.

here's the .craft file : http://www./download/ahmxbb3rrr1pr31/Kliper_Onega.craft (reuploaded in 0.21 to remove engineer redux chip - tell me if there is problems with this version)

post for kliper on my Angara launcher - with .craft file and flight instructions - much less part heavy than the Onega !

some pictures of it :

Onega + Kliper at liftoff.

CmMgAwNl.jpg

Boosters separation :

ylMtCf3l.jpg

upper stage jetisonned with a pe at 22km (that's at this height i usually drop the stage, unless i need it for transfers - no debris in orbit :P) , kliper starting it's circularization manoeuver alone.

VwIxDVLl.jpg

Kliper after deorbit burn, jetisonned it's orbital module.

Gf9317Cl.jpg

Reentry:

eBH8wyNl.png

KSC's runway approach for landing (in this picture, i overshot KSC at 20000 meters - the kliper allowed me to turn around and glide safely to the runway)

v4H6vSjl.jpg

Have Fun :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Hello, i now have a complete redesign for my onega launcher - now around 600 parts on the pad instead of 950.

this one also come with a scaffold with ladders for allowing more kerbals to join the fun.

some pics of it :

in the VAB :

iIspNFwl.jpg

Boosters separation :

l4REC93l.jpg

Here's the .craft file : http://www./?1kca8uv1aimvto0

for this launcher :

Action groups :

1 - used to separate the escape tower from the Kliper (used only after an abort)

2 - disable gimballing on some of the boosters engines. (press twice before liftoff)

3 - deploy the ladders on the scaffold.

Abort sequence :

hit backspace or the abort button to abort - remember to disable ASAS just after hitting the abort key, else the escape tower will make the kliper enter a deadly spin - you can reuse the ASAS after jetisonning the escape tower with the 1 key.

Ascent Profile :

disable the gimbaling of some of the boosters engines with the 2 key, and activate your ASAS.

Extremely important : set your throttle to 2/3 for liftoff - else the kliper will gain too much wing lift from the speed, and make the rocket tumble.

hit space a first time to discard the scaffolding, and a second time to liftoff.

start your G turn at 10000m, do your turn smoothly in order to be at 45° at 20000m, then stay in ASAS once you reached 45°

the boosters will have only a few seconds of fuel at the 20000m mark, wait until they dry out, and jetisson them - you can then resume your G-turn.

turn smoothly to reach the horizon at 50000m, then burn on the horizon until your apoapsis is at the desired height. (the core stage will dry out during this part, jetisson it and continue with the upper stage)

circularize as normal with the upper stage once you reach your apoapsis (the command pod's torque should be enough to steer without RCS), you can then deploy the Kliper or use the remaining fuel (it should have around 1300 m/s of delta-v remaining) to make a transfer.

the upper stage is equipped with a probe core and some RCS to be able to deorbit itself.

the kliper is the same as my previous rocket, so orbital manoeuvers and reentry with it remains the same.

Awesome work. Good to see it work with a smaller configuration. Also, I'd like to see your sepratrons (again). I just can't get the Korolev cross to work on my design.

here's two images of the separatrons placement :

(clic the icon to get the larger version :P)

IYxBPtYs.jpg

hFq5wnos.jpg

basically, the two separatrons at the bottom limits the speed difference between the boosters and the core stage, giving them enough time to clear the core stage's bottom - plus they are placed more closer to the core stage than the boosters center of mass, so it will also force the booster outward. the two boosters horizontally in the middle are there to accelerate the rotation. (the pics come from the second's version onega Heavylift version - but it's the same separatrons than the kliper version. (heavy lift payload capacity around 54tons atm, with LVT30's in place of the LVT45's - still WIP :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

here's some WIP pics of the heavylift version - the body is the same than the kliper version, but with the LVT30's (as i don't need the gimballing that much in this version)

Core stage picture :

2xgwpg5l.jpg

Booster side view :

bSxsjnal.jpg

here is my heavylift version of the second onega, derived from the launcher used to sent the kliper in orbit (most notable change : LVT 45's replaced by LVT30's, as i don't need as much gimballing)

it's without payload. be careful with subassembly loader, fuel lines and struts tend to not be saved properly, notably on the boosters.

sU5ooibl.jpg

i sent 54tons of dead weight to a 100x100 LKO with it, with fuel to spare for manoeuvers / deorbiting the upper stage.

http://www./download/9yikyl44vc5bdlu/Onega_launcher.craft

of course, it's more for the looks than for efficiency :P

ascent profile : the same as the Kliper version, except you can lift off with full throttle with this one (no winged payload to annoy you here :P)

orbital manoeuvers are made with the RCS here (not enough torque this time)

Edited by sgt_flyer

the first 'monster' 900+ parts onega brought my kliper to duna (even if i slightly missed the transfer window) - i made the transfer burn with the upper stage, jetisonned it, and finished the necessary correction and aerobrake with the kliper's orbital module (i had half the orbital module's fuel still remaining after aerobrake - and no reentry effects during the aerobrake or after deorbit burn :P - when i reach around 10000 meters altitude, the kliper's wings kick in, and i see the orbit line augmenting tremendously :P)

the kliper glides wonderfully in duna's atmosphere (by setting your PE to 10000m , but the landing is reaaaaly hard to do with a glider - for the moment i only bounce on the surface at touchdown, which is catastrophic :P (because the glider start behaving incontrolably after the bounce) (gravity is reaaallly low, and the wings generate a lot of lift :P) (i'm still trying to get lower landing speeds to not bounce on the surface)

here's some shots from duna :P

in low duna orbit :

HJWL4cVl.jpg

after deorbit burn, gliding in

Vz0GtUgl.jpg

now managed to do a glided landing to duna with the Kliper(okay, 1-way trip, but the kerbals were happy to try this :) (yes, it's the kliper launched by my 'monster' 900+ parts onega which reach duna - with the help of the upper stage to do a trans duna injection :)

3QqmGadl.jpg

landing sequence : from a 100 k orbit around duna, reduce the periapsis to 10000m, that's roughly around the spot where you will land. (so prepare in advance, if you want to land in a specific spot). you can do course corrections in mid descent (like a plane shift, to adjust your landing spot) - then, jetison the kliper's orbital module, and slowly glide into duna's atmosphere. note : you almost won't be able to turn like the kliper can do in kerbin's atmosphere, only at very low speeds (< 150m/s you will start to be able to make some turns, but you will reach this speed only a few thousand meters above the surface)

my landing speed was around 40ms of speed, with almost nothing in vertical speed (needed a 30° AOA for landing - don't forget to disable ASAS if you want) (else, you bounce off duna's surface, and the Kliper goes haywire)

news for the Onega Lite version :)

managed to use the fuel left in the onega's upper stage for a Jool transfer - followed by a direct laythe encounter and aerobrake, then glided landing :) (note, i had not a single unit of fuel left in the orbital module after deorbiting over laythe - and i only had to do a 245m/s correction during Jool's transfer, followed by a approx 250m/s to get the direct laythe encounter and subsequent correction for aerobrake, so not much room for error (i made several saves, as that was the first time i went to laythe :P))

in this case, the upper stage was dropped during mid jool transfer burn, and i finished with the orbital module.

100km orbit above laythe

XOdpObIl.jpg

glided approach

KjGwzAHl.jpg

Landed on laythe

GaeNlECl.jpg

Edited by sgt_flyer

Kliper has now made it's glided landing on all planets with an atmosphere :) (reached eve with the help of the onega's lite upper stage :))

9V5vRZBl.jpg

gnN6ka1l.jpg

the kliper is a fantastic glider here in eve's thick atmosphere (landed near sea level, with no need to input any commands in final approach :P simply disable ASAS, level the horizon above a smooth landing site, and kliper will do the rest without needing to touch the controls :) it's angled control surfaces made it flight with a prograde marker staying 10° below horizon, and it landed nicely around 25 m/s :)

on which one ? :P the monster or the lite ? :) the 'monster' one has basically 2.5meters tanks at the base almost entirely surrounded by FLT-800's (only towards the exterior, there are no flt's at the core stage's contact point)

the flt800 extend past the 2.5m tank bottom, to cover the engines, and a few other 2.5 meters tanks which are shifted a bit from the lower one, all that covered by structural panels :)

the onega 'lite' is simpler, with 1 shifted 2.5m tank, and 4 flt800 mounted on cubic struts to angle them as needed :)

• 4 weeks later...

well, you can use the one inside my Angara thread - the kliper there should have enough Delta-V to make a free return trajectory - although it would be really hard to land it on mün ^^

if you wish to have a bit more delta V with the Angara rocket, use an angara A5 configuration for the URM's (the non capped URM at the center, and 4 capped urm's around it), and add the modified soyouz block I atop of it (the tall one - which is almost the same as the Onega lite upper stage)

that should be around 300 / 330 parts in this configuration (without the Kliper Angara's A3 scaffolding), and the modified block I should be able to approach you from the mün :)

i'm using a lot my angara's lately, it's so damn useful due to the variety of ways i can configure it :P

- yup :) tested it out, using the Angara in A5 configuration, the modified block I can bring the Kliper in a free return trajectory, - without needing to use the Kliper's fuel before Mün circularization (although it's really tight :P) :) by if you manage it, you'll have plenty of fuel left after mün circularization to go back to kerbin :P - so it can service your stations in orbit around the mün :P

ok, i added the Kliper A5 'münshot' configuration to the Angara thread here

Have fun :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

thx, I'll be trying my butt off trying to land this thing on the mun (manually) now.

And since I have some unmanned fuel tankers that I can send to the mun (proven to be able to haul ~100tons from kerbal orbit to mun orbit), I guess I'll be modding it to have a docking port...

...'cause who needs escape systems? :sticktongue:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok, i reuploaded the good version of the Onega launcher after removing the engineer redux chip. note : the .craft file has been saved under KSP 0.21 this time and corrected the link in the first post.

also removed the link to the version of kliper launched by temstar's shllv, and instead of it put a direct link to the post with kliper launched by angara (the angara version has way less parts than the onega or onega lite versions - but the version launched by my A3 only goes to LKO, contrary to the onega or onega 'lite' which have enough delta-v to reach the other atmospheric planets or moons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.