Changing the time of day?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I'm a newbie!

I'm starting a mission but when I go to the launch pad, it's dark. I'd like to launch during the day, so I time warp, but that makes my big ol' rocket all wonkey and crash (apparently accelerating does bad things to the physics model). So then I tried to time warp in the VAB and Tracking Station, but nothing happens. Going into orbit view and warping has the same result.

So, is there any way to change the time of day other than just waiting?

You can build a small rover, really small just a core and some wheels + battery. Move it off the launchpad and switch to this vehicle whenever you want to timewarp to daylight. Then go back to space center and launch your flight.

Alternatively, you can attach lights to launch clamps or a nearby rover to illuminate the launch area. Though that would only be good for a few hundred meters.

Edited by georgTF

pressing . and , increment and decrement time warp, respectively. If you see the 4 arrows only, you're in physics warp and need to go back to 1x, wait for your rocket to stop dancing on the pad, then press . so that there are a lot more arrows, put simply.

You can build a small rover, really small just a core and some wheels + battery. Move it off the launchpad and switch to this vehicle whenever you want to timewarp to daylight. Then go back to space center and launch your flight.

Alternatively, you can attach lights to launch clamps or a nearby rover to illuminate the launch area. Though that would only be good for a few hundred meters.

Thanks - never thought of putting something else on the launch pad.

I'm only having this problem because I'm trying to use someone's Saturn V mod and it's a little shaky on the pad.

And probably add a OX-STAT panel on the rover so it doesnt go dead on you.

You never know when you might want to move it around.

Someone posted a rover that was really a probe core, NUK generator and tall structural piece and a spotlight. Wheels as well obviously. The purpose was to move it away from the launchpad area then park it so it illuminates the launchpad at night. It can also be used to timewarp as fast as you like in case some other vessel is limited by altitude.

I can't find it in the spacecraft exchange so i can't credit this person. I liked the idea very much. Also having a few of these spotlight rovers lined up near the runway makes it easier to approach at night as they show when you fly in closer than 30km. Since the part count is low it doesn't affect fps.

Someone posted a rover that was really a probe core, NUK generator and tall structural piece and a spotlight. Wheels as well obviously. The purpose was to move it away from the launchpad area then park it so it illuminates the launchpad at night. It can also be used to timewarp as fast as you like in case some other vessel is limited by altitude.

I can't find it in the spacecraft exchange so i can't credit this person. I liked the idea very much. Also having a few of these spotlight rovers lined up near the runway makes it easier to approach at night as they show when you fly in closer than 30km. Since the part count is low it doesn't affect fps.

I may have to try to build this myself. I like the spotlight idea, and combined with the solar panel to keep it running, it effectively becomes a permanent installation. Thanks!

Edit: worked like a charm! I actually went with the nuke option. As a nice side benefit, I also got some practice building rovers, which I'll need when I reach Apollo 15.

Edited by dfscott
solved

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.