Would you be ready to have a microchip transplant inside your brain?

Anyway, I just don't see the worry. Hackers? The only reason hackers even usually hack is to obtain information such as credit cards. There are some who just do it to try, but what are the chances you will be involved? It probably be even less common then getting robbed.

Ummm, I'm sorry, that turns out not to be the case.

The vast majority of unprotected computers are infected with malware uses to create botnets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

aka "zombie army"

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/botnet

These botnets are used for a variety of unsavory purposes, such as denial-of-service attacks, email spam, click fraud, and fast flux.

According to the Symantec Internet Security Threat Report, through the first six months of 2006, there were 4,696,903 active botnet computers.

A chip in your brain could do similar things to your mind. Such as recording everything you see and hear, identity theft, and even hypnotizing you to alter your behavior.

Ummm, I'm sorry, that turns out not to be the case.

The vast majority of unprotected computers are infected with malware uses to create botnets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

aka "zombie army"

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/botnet

These botnets are used for a variety of unsavory purposes, such as denial-of-service attacks, email spam, click fraud, and fast flux.

According to the Symantec Internet Security Threat Report, through the first six months of 2006, there were 4,696,903 active botnet computers.

A chip in your brain could do similar things to your mind. Such as recording everything you see and hear, identity theft, and even hypnotizing you to alter your behavior.

Oh yes, because the chip is able to do all of that. -.- You know, it's the magic chip that can do anything.

If the chip doesn't have the capabilities to control a person, then guess what ... no hacker will be able to do that. You obviously don't know anything about what your talking about. A chip is not a computer. A single chip can only do so much. Someone hacking a computer is not the same as someone hacking a chip in someones brain.

The most this chip can do is send and receive information. It doesn't have the capabilities to control you. Even if all this was possible, you are underestimating the power it would take to try and do something like this. Another thing is you said "Unprotected" computers. Let me ask you this, if you made a password say DoGv5.37D Do you know how long it would take to brute force this password?

Also most of those files you are talking about are downloaded by the user. They where not hacked and then the files put on their computer. You need to give a hacker a point to access from, and peoples stupidity is what allows it.

Just to put this into perspective, my password that I use would take a desktop PC, 631 Thousand years to crack. It really wouldn't be hard to keep 1 chip secure. Especially since it isn't accessed directly by the user like a PC is.

Edited by Brabbit1987

Well, if this chip is made to receive information from a computer (Like information, or anything) and then transmit it to your though, someone could hack said computer and "make" you though things you would normally not. It would not control you directly, but it would influence you to do thing in an even worse way than television

Well, if this chip is made to receive information from a computer (Like information, or anything) and then transmit it to your though, someone could hack said computer and "make" you though things you would normally not. It would not control you directly, but it would influence you to do thing in an even worse way than television

No no no. Example: If a robot doesn't have an arm ... you can't hack it to use it's arm ... it doesn't have one. You can't hack another computer to use it's arm .. . again .. it doesn't have one.

In order for this chip to be able to control you, it would need to physically have this capability.

Edit: I think the biggest issue is everyone is paranoid due to watching too many sci-fi movies and mistaking it to be realistic.

Edited by Brabbit1987

Oh yes, because the chip is able to do all of that. -.- You know, it's the magic chip that can do anything.

If the chip doesn't have the capabilities to control a person, then guess what ... no hacker will be able to do that. You obviously don't know anything about what your talking about. A chip is not a computer. A single chip can only do so much. Someone hacking a computer is not the same as someone hacking a chip in someones brain.

The most this chip can do is send and receive information. It doesn't have the capabilities to control you. Even if all this was possible, you are underestimating the power it would take to try and do something like this. Another thing is you said "Unprotected" computers. Let me ask you this, if you made a password say DoGv5.37D Do you know how long it would take to brute force this password?

Also most of those files you are talking about are downloaded by the user. They where not hacked and then the files put on their computer. You need to give a hacker a point to access from, and peoples stupidity is what allows it.

Just to put this into perspective, my password that I use would take a desktop PC, 631 Thousand years to crack. It really wouldn't be hard to keep 1 chip secure. Especially since it isn't accessed directly by the user like a PC is.

If the chip was implanted for the purpose of giving a person a sense such as sight, then someone could tap into that signal and make it so you see only what they wanted. Essentially brainwashing someone, a la A Clockwork Orange. Maybe even while they sleep so they wouldn't consciously know it.

No no no. Example: If a robot doesn't have an arm ... you can't hack it to use it's arm ... it doesn't have one. You can't hack another computer to use it's arm .. . again .. it doesn't have one.

In order for this chip to be able to control you, it would need to physically have this capability.

Edit: I think the biggest issue is everyone is paranoid due to watching too many sci-fi movies and mistaking it to be realistic.

I think you didn't understood what I said correctly...

If the chip use is to think of a question and then it google it for you and send the answer to you directly in your though (Like : Hey, how does train work? I don't know ! oh ! I know it (because the chip just inserted the answer in my mind)). if a chip can do such a thing, someone could hack the computer or the service that is sending you the answer and brainwash you.

If the chip was implanted for the purpose of giving a person a sense such as sight, then someone could tap into that signal and make it so you see only what they wanted. Essentially brainwashing someone, a la A Clockwork Orange. Maybe even while they sleep so they wouldn't consciously know it.

This would require the video feed signal be connected physically to a networked connection. Why would an eye sight implant need that? Wouldn't the video be coming from a small camera? How would you hack this input when it's inside someones brain?

Why would you even do what your saying in the first place??? I think a person would realize if they where all of a sudden in a different spot. You know .. I could have sworn I was just in my room >.>

Ya .. you know .. i'm sure that plan would work fantastic. They will not notice a thing.

I think you didn't understood what I said correctly...

If the chip use is to think of a question and then it google it for you and send the answer to you directly in your though (Like : Hey, how does train work? I don't know ! oh ! I know it (because the chip just inserted the answer in my mind)). if a chip can do such a thing, someone could hack the computer or the service that is sending you the answer and brainwash you.

You mean injecting information into you brain? How would this help you brain wash someone? Just by simply knowing something doesn't really do much. Learning something fishy out of no where would be pretty obvious as well.

But then we get back to the point how would they be able to even do all this in the first place? How are they going to locate which chip they need. How are they going to actually hack the thing? What info could they possibly inject to mess with someone that much?

Edited by Brabbit1987

Computers implanted in multiple brain regions and wired directly to the internet would almost certainly be a horrible mistake. The medical uses described would, if all implemented at once, allow a compromised system to show the user anything and direct their body to do anything. Even if thought control possible, a full hijacking of your body probably is.

That said, there's first of all no reason at present to want that level of permeation. The chips described in the article are all corrective measures for forms of brain damage. They'd receive their inputs from the brain only, and so long as they were well shielded from outside electromagnetic influence there's no reason for them to be remotely hackable. If I had any of the issues described, I'd accept a chip in a heartbeat unless they had a poor track record.

Anything else is purely speculative. I can conceive augmentations that I'd willingly take, and ones I wouldn't. I'd be extremely hesitant about anything networked, especially wireless.

Computers implanted in multiple brain regions and wired directly to the internet would almost certainly be a horrible mistake. The medical uses described would, if all implemented at once, allow a compromised system to show the user anything and direct their body to do anything. Even if thought control possible, a full hijacking of your body probably is.

That said, there's first of all no reason at present to want that level of permeation. The chips described in the article are all corrective measures for forms of brain damage. They'd receive their inputs from the brain only, and so long as they were well shielded from outside electromagnetic influence there's no reason for them to be remotely hackable. If I had any of the issues described, I'd accept a chip in a heartbeat unless they had a poor track record.

Anything else is purely speculative. I can conceive augmentations that I'd willingly take, and ones I wouldn't. I'd be extremely hesitant about anything networked, especially wireless.

I agree.

Chips located in many regions of the brain wouldn't be a smart idea for anyone to do nor is it even necessary unless to correct a particular issue, in which case it wouldn't need to be networked at all.

If the chip doesn't have the capabilities to control a person, then guess what ... no hacker will be able to do that. You obviously don't know anything about what your talking about. A chip is not a computer. A single chip can only do so much. Someone hacking a computer is not the same as someone hacking a chip in someones brain. The most this chip can do is send and receive information. It doesn't have the capabilities to control you.

Your computer's internet connection comes in through your ethernet or wifi connection. Those are I/O devices. They transmit information into your computer. The I/O device does not know or care if the information is a web page, a data file, or a worm or trojan. It is all data as far as it is concerned.

People try to protect their computers but there are too many vectors for malware to gain access. Recently Mozilla decided to totally block Java in their Firefox web browser because it rendered the browser vulnerable to "drive by malware", where just visiting a website was enough to become infected.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Java-plugins-unplugged-by-Mozilla-and-Apple-Update-1782628.html

The described brain computer chip is an I/O device. It transmits information. It does not know or care if the information is a web page, a data file, or a memetic virus. It is all data as far as it is concerned. It could be full of subliminal stimuli for all it knows.

The point being is the chip is not controlling you. The data is.

Even if all this was possible, you are underestimating the power it would take to try and do something like this. Another thing is you said "Unprotected" computers. Let me ask you this, if you made a password say DoGv5.37D Do you know how long it would take to brute force this password?

According to this website

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

the time required would be 1.77 hours, by a botnet optimzed for brute force password cracking.

Your computer's internet connection comes in through your ethernet or wifi connection. Those are I/O devices. They transmit information into your computer. The I/O device does not know or care if the information is a web page, a data file, or a worm or trojan. It is all data as far as it is concerned.

People try to protect their computers but there are too many vectors for malware to gain access. Recently Mozilla decided to totally block Java in their Firefox web browser because it rendered the browser vulnerable to "drive by malware", where just visiting a website was enough to become infected.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Java-plugins-unplugged-by-Mozilla-and-Apple-Update-1782628.html

The described brain computer chip is an I/O device. It transmits information. It does not know or care if the information is a web page, a data file, or a memetic virus. It is all data as far as it is concerned. It could be full of subliminal stimuli for all it knows.

The point being is the chip is not controlling you. The data is.

According to this website

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

the time required would be 1.77 hours, by a botnet optimzed for brute force password cracking.

Massive Cracking Array Scenario is not a botnet as far as I am aware and have no idea how you came to that conclusion. At closest I would say it would be on par with a Online Attack Scenario, since it technically has to be done that way.

Also, I have said it once and I will say it again. Even if you somehow did hack it, what information are you going to send this chip, and to do what? How is the information going to control a human? I have a feeling you are thinking to sci-fi, and less realistic. If what you say is so easy .. then how come no one has taken over the world yet? All nuke missiles can be launch using computers. Satellites are run by computers. All these things are connected to a network that can be hacked. Why has it not happened. Surly these things are more useful then hacking a random person.

Massive Cracking Array Scenario is not a botnet as far as I am aware and have no idea how you came to that conclusion. At closest I would say it would be on par with a Online Attack Scenario, since it technically has to be done that way.

Also, I have said it once and I will say it again. Even if you somehow did hack it, what information are you going to send this chip, and to do what? How is the information going to control a human? I have a feeling you are thinking to sci-fi, and less realistic. If what you say is so easy .. then how come no one has taken over the world yet? All nuke missiles can be launch using computers. Satellites are run by computers. All these things are connected to a network that can be hacked. Why has it not happened. Surly these things are more useful then hacking a random person.

That depends on who that person is, what they know, who they know, how powerful they are. And I'm pretty sure military computer systems have large groups constantly working on maintaining security over a large and complex system to prevent just that sort of hacking. There is a real threat of hackers gaining access to military information, at least so far as I have heard.

And of course nobody knows how to hack a human through a brain chip, but back before they were invented, nobody knew how to hack a computer either. If someone works out the technology to utilise the brain's functions and integrate them with a chip, who's to say that a hacker can't use this information to learn how to take advantage of that?

That depends on who that person is, what they know, who they know, how powerful they are. And I'm pretty sure military computer systems have large groups constantly working on maintaining security over a large and complex system to prevent just that sort of hacking. There is a real threat of hackers gaining access to military information, at least so far as I have heard.

And of course nobody knows how to hack a human through a brain chip, but back before they were invented, nobody knew how to hack a computer either. If someone works out the technology to utilise the brain's functions and integrate them with a chip, who's to say that a hacker can't use this information to learn how to take advantage of that?

Well yes, this is pretty much exactly what I mean though. Not everyone needs to be concerned about it. It wouldn't just happen to everyday people.

As for hacking a computer when they where first invented ... you are wrong. Hacking was a term that started in the IT profession. IT has existed pretty much at the very start. Hacking isn't some oddity in a computer that wasn't known, it was something any IT professional could do. However during that time, it was not used for bad purposes.

Hacking isn't even that hard. The issue is, how do you get passed security measures and is it worth it to even try? What will you be able to do once you get in? What can you achieve? The idea of controlling a human seems like a scary thought, but sending that many signals would kill the chip in a matter of minutes if not seconds. How much charge do you think that little chip is going to have? It doesn't have an infinite supply of energy as far as I am aware of. It is designed with certain functions in mind, if it isn't designed specifically to control a person, you are not very likely to get to far in trying.

People who don't know how to hack do not seem to realize that there are indeed limits. You can't just all of a sudden do everything. You also run a very large risk in getting jail time. Depending on the hacking offence you can even get life in prison. It's also not particularly hard to get caught as well.

Unless you are some billionaire, or part of the military or something along those lines, the chances of someone wanting to try hacking a chip in your brain is so small it's retarded to worry about.

As for hacking a computer when they where first invented ... you are wrong. Hacking was a term that started in the IT profession. IT has existed pretty much at the very start. Hacking isn't some oddity in a computer that wasn't known, it was something any IT professional could do. However during that time, it was not used for bad purposes.

I said before they were invented. Hacking has always evolved as technology and security does.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how this could be hacked if it didn't connect to the internet, unless there was a physical interface (imagine this: This is a public service announcements, Brain-OX 1.4.09 has a fatal bug. Update now or you have a 73% chance of having a fatal hemorage from microchip overheating). Basically, I don't really see how these things could be hacked unless there was a need to be able to connect to them. Therefore, why not have something to help you think faster or solve your mental diseases.

• 1 month later...
Definately not!! Though its a cool and useful idea, the sad truth is there are ppl out there who who take advantage of this and be able to hack into them or install viruses. This could range from annoying to potentialy fatal.

You'd see "There are singles in your area! Find them now!"Pop up in your head every 5 minutes :rolleyes:

A "chip in your brain" is a very vague proposition... What are the specifics of it?

Would it be connected to anything in the brain? Would it have a power source of its own or be powered by induction from an external source? would it have any sort of network interface, and if so, would you be able to configure it? Or is it just a random piece of electronics I found in my head after waking up in a bathtub full of ice one day?

IMO, I understand a "chip in the brain" by the notion that it is a complete computer, only with a very very 'user-friendly' human interface system. No keyboards, touchscreens or anything, just a straight connection by what you will it to do (somehow). The outputs could be visual, or audio, or just a mental image.

The issue then becomes a much more familiar one. What sort of Operating System are you willing to install or have installed? Will it let you tweak it to your liking ala Linux (with the possiblity you might zap your own brain by botching up a tweak), or will it be an in-brain version of iOS?

Computers do what we tell them to do, nothing more and nothing less, and most certainly not necessarily what we want them to do. Whether or not you want one in your head is actually besides the point...

Cheers

A "chip in your brain" is a very vague proposition... What are the specifics of it?

Would it be connected to anything in the brain? Would it have a power source of its own or be powered by induction from an external source? would it have any sort of network interface, and if so, would you be able to configure it? Or is it just a random piece of electronics I found in my head after waking up in a bathtub full of ice one day?

IMO, I understand a "chip in the brain" by the notion that it is a complete computer, only with a very very 'user-friendly' human interface system. No keyboards, touchscreens or anything, just a straight connection by what you will it to do (somehow). The outputs could be visual, or audio, or just a mental image.

The issue then becomes a much more familiar one. What sort of Operating System are you willing to install or have installed? Will it let you tweak it to your liking ala Linux (with the possiblity you might zap your own brain by botching up a tweak), or will it be an in-brain version of iOS?

Computers do what we tell them to do, nothing more and nothing less, and most certainly not necessarily what we want them to do. Whether or not you want one in your head is actually besides the point...

Cheers

Don't forget the also familiar problem of viruses and hacking. (If anyone here has player E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, you know exactly what kind of havoc a hacker can do).

Edited by Themohawkninja

I would like a chip in the form of a wireless I/O device for controlling computers (and by computers, I mean my PC, car, environmental controls and lights in my house, etc). It would run on a closed shell system to prevent hacking/viruses.

Edited by Themohawkninja
Changed from open Intenet connection to a CSS

A good example of what I would like to see is showcased in Accel World, an anime about virtual reality based games that connect directly to your conciousness. The idea is that via a neural interface, a removable computer can be 'hacked' to provide the user with superhuman abilities such as augmented reaction time. This is done by 'overclocking' the thought process, thus allowing the user to experience an altered perception of reality. So it would be like pressing 'pause', thinking about your next move, then resuming to execute the perfect move.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.