A Madman's Creations

I regulatory prototype and test all manner of, well, sometimes bad ideas. Being the Spacecraft exchange I figure this is the best place to contain/showcase my harebrained ideas, perhaps to inspire and get feedback from the community. That way I minimize the amount of crazy I'm spilling all over the forums.

And with that!

WADE

The few of you who have met me may recognize the Wade from a post or two of mine. Wade is my mobile "base" the big guy is the product of my frustration with small, flimsy (efficient) rovers flipping over and crashing at the slightest alteration in the wind. The main difference between 01 and 02 is some communications antenna's and the addition of some thrusters in the back to improve driving up slopes. Here's Doodman, Wade 02's Official Pilot, when he was stranded on Eeloo, a daring rescue by all of you on the forums got his mission back up and running. The return and rescue craft is still on route to rendezvous with Wade 02 and extract Doodman once his mission is complete.

Save_Dude.jpg

WINSTON

Wade now has a little brother who is serving on Eve, Winston. The landing gear on the sides where very helpful absorbing the shock of landing on the high G planet. I am presently in agreement with much of the forum concerning these new wheels, they're control is a little bit doddgy and tend to jerk when you maneuver. However I think I can attribute this to what I believe is intended to be very high traction. In addition I discovered that you can mount lights inside trusses (with a little rotational trickery) and they will still provide all the light they normally would, slims down the design a little.

Winstin.jpg

One of the best features about Winston, the new Cab (which will be implemented in Wade 03), rove around all day from the driver's seat! The on-board "laser" cameras add to the field of view, and the laser targeter is mounted just below the cab.

Winstin_Cab2.jpg

Thats all for now! I hope you enjoyed them and please if you have any feedback lay it on me right here! Its a really creative community here and you've got some fun ideas. I'll be periodically uploading new pictures of various creations as time goes on.

Edited by Chrono

• 3 weeks later...

So, i've been experimenting with new and... Jeb here may disagree, but innovative methods of flying spacecraft. I believe the external control seat offers the pilot an outstanding view of his surroundings and improves overall situational awareness.

Jeb_Flys_EVA.jpg

Flashtan.jpg

I also believe we have successfully cornered the market on what we are now calling "Flash Tanning"

Edited by Chrono
broke img link fix

So, i've been experimenting with new and... Jeb here may disagree, but innovative methods of flying spacecraft. I believe the external control seat offers the pilot an outstanding view of his surroundings and improves overall situational awareness.

Jeb_Flys_EVA.jpg

Unfortunately, the external seat also makes him vulnerable to damn near everything, such as accidentally hitting something.

Flashtan.jpg

I also believe we have successfully cornered the market on what we are now calling "Flash Tanning"

Unfortunately, the external seat also makes him vulnerable to damn near everything, such as accidentally hitting something.

Of course it does, I wouldn't have strapped Jeb onto the outside of a ship and then shot him into the atmo at over 1000m/s if we where worried about exposure... His skin is already green after all. In-fact the chair disconnected when the ship lurched when the parachutes opened in low atmo. Surprisingly he survived the encounter and the chair did not fall off the roof.

Naturally, once I shot Jeb into orbit, I had to try it out on a spaceplane. This is the Whitewing, an aircraft I built biased off of NASA's Helios aircraft. In short, a small engine, maximum wingspan for a massive amount of lift, throttle up and it flies itself...

Bill_gets_wings.jpg

Edited by Chrono
added a new entry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.