• Lv 30
    • Nerva
    • Pb ion
    • Poodle engine
    • Mainsail
    • Large radial engine
    • Tiny radial engine
    • Mainsail and the KSPX one

I don't tend to use the LV 30 or 45 that much. My launchers tend to make use of the mainsail and skipper (formerly atlas) engines. In orbit, the little LV-900 or the LV-N tend to get more use, for efficiency. The poodle and 77-24 get a fair amount of use too, in landers.

1. The skipper engine, it has power, is mildly efficient and my god, frocks and that banjo it looks awesome.

2. The nuke, it has a massive ISP, and spends more time being naccelled on my vacuum stages than any other engine

3. 909, it has a good TWR, and is perfect for hops to the mun and back.

4. Rockomax 24/77, amazing TWR, and so versatile.

I feel like the only person who really likes the larger radial engines. 2 of them can land such a relatively good sized lander with ease, and they are decently efficient. The radial mounting is very easy to place and build for too.

No, it turns out there are two of us. :)

I don't really have an opinion. I use all engines. And when there is an engine that I don't use, I slightly improve it's values in the config file, so that I might consider using the engine a little more often, or perhaps find an application it is suited for.

If my puppy was a rocket engine, he would be an LV-909. But my favourite engine has to be the 30. Why settle for a boring, inefficient and prone to failure mainsail when a bit of skill in the VAB can leave you with a mighty cluster of solid awesome.

Why doesn't the Rockomax "Skipper" have it's own option? That's my favorite launch engine and the LV-N my favorite orbital and small celestial body engine.

Sorry, it fitted it with the Mainsail, Polls are limited by 10 options :P

The Skipper is a beautiful thing. I started a new, stock save for .20 and I'm trying to simplify my designs into smaller, lighter packages with fewer parts... Most of my payloads are around 10-20 tons to LKO, so I don't need all the thrust of a Mainsail. The Skipper fills the first-stage engine role nicely, letting me avoid the complication and part-count of clustered engines. With these kinda payloads I usually have a pretty low TWR at launch, so it also gives me an excuse to use SRBs which makes Jeb happy :)

I so nearly chose the skipper. It's a gift to heavy lifters, and works much better in vacuum than the brutish Mainsail. It was pipped in my vote by the NERVA though. It's big, heavy, too long and has a pathetic amount of thrust, but 800 ISp in vacuum; how can you not forgive it everything for that?

NERVA is the obvious choice, but I want to be out of the norm. I do love my Ion probes, low power sure, but can make big differences with the right maneuvers.

Just curious, for a mun/minmus lander should I Use aerospikes or lv 909s?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.