[0.20] 2 better and more realistic wheels for the Kerbals who are still alive

zitronen

The vehicle is quite stable with these wheels. It is able to reach and maintain over eleventy (110) m/s. Until I start driving up a slope. When reaching the first significant slope to the west of KSC, speed drops to around 55 m/s. When getting up higher than that where it gets a little steeper, I am unable to continue at all. I suppose this is a traction issue still.

These wheels did solve the problems of my previous attempts with stock wheels, where it would flip over as soon as any turning happened.

I suppose for now I could use these wheels in conjunction with jet propulsion to maintain or increase speed.

Also, I'd like to put in my vote for giant wheels. Like nearly the size of a Mk3 cockpit, and a whole lot of suspension travel.

Is it possible to give the wheels an angled suspension travel, emulating macphearson or even double-wishbone? This could maybe help further with stability and rollover-prevention.

Yeah I think climb angle is limited to maybe 20deg.

It is unfortunately not possible to have angled suspension or proper suspension geometry with linkages. If you see my other smaller wheel while it looks like a double wishbone but it only really goes up and down. This is a unity wheel collider limitation. Even if it is possible the KSP physics does not simulate things like changing camber, caster and steering axis. Changing suspension type really won't have a huge effect on stability anyway, we need some kind of anti roll bar.

I'm currently working with electronicfox and angusmcbeth to make a set of wheels for a buggy (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/34014-WIP-Rover-RollKage?p=456782&viewfull=1#post456782), after that is done hopefully we will work on some bigger wheels. Electronicfox is so much better at texturing and modelling it'll be worth the wait!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It works fine as long as you update the cfg file to add the science stuff (for career mode).

I would suggest you use the rollkage mod, which has the same handling, unless you just really have to use these.

• 3 months later...
ProbAbly not, as this was last updated for .20. Also, you just necro'd an old thread.

"Necro'd an old thread" People still say this BullS***? That aside, I'm looknig for a good wheel mod, If there is something better, someone should post it here as a link so we don't keep "Necroing" *Rolls-eyes* :rolleyes: