COM or COG?

Sathurn

Whic one do you use?  

1. 1. Whic one do you use?

• CoM
    • CoG
    • Both
    • I like to type

I had never really thought about my usage of the two terms..

I've found I use both. Whenever dealing with something KSP related, I always say Center of Mass. For day to day conversations, if the term were to ever come up, I'm sure I would say Center of Gravity. Not sure why that is...

I take centre of mass to be the density-weighted mid point of an object, ie. the point about which it rotates, whereas I would only use centre of gravity to describe the point about which two bodies interacting gravitationally rotate, eg. the point about which the moon and Earth rotate in their orbit (so close to but not quite the centre of mass of the Earth). Not sure I described that well but that's what my Physics background has led me to believe.

I take centre of mass to be the density-weighted mid point of an object, ie. the point about which it rotates, whereas I would only use centre of gravity to describe the point about which two bodies interacting gravitationally rotate, eg. the point about which the moon and Earth rotate in their orbit (so close to but not quite the centre of mass of the Earth). Not sure I described that well but that's what my Physics background has led me to believe.

That makes sense, it's a good way to think about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.