What's the heaviest thing you've launched?

My Reusable interplanetary cruiser is definately my heaviest. 145 ton payload, 580ton total with lifter. (it had just enough initial fuel to make orbit and circularise at 250km to await refuelling)

It features 2 different styles of 1 man reusable landers (atmospheric and non) both feature kethane drills and tanks, and the atmospheric lander features the air intake for ioncross life support mod. At full fueling (and empty kethane tanks) it has 7.5k DV powered by 6 nuclear engines and can sustain life support for its 3 man crew up to 220 days

I prefer launching smallish things into orbit, as my computer cannot handle big rockets.

But the largest thing I've launched? (As opposed to get into orbit?)

This double-asparagus rocket, attempting to get three full orange fuel tanks into orbit. (I wasn't able to find a picture of the complete vessel, it was that unstable)

screenshot8.png

screenshot5.png

While it may not be the largest vessel to be launched in KSP, it was heavy enough to snap struts at will. I never did manage to get it to orbit...

I use mechjeb for lift off and ascent.

Because time is very long, not interesting to follow a path, the autopilot does it better.

But always land manually, that's the most exiting.

I completely agree, with the exception that I always launch the test of that design by hand first as a proof of concept, and I would add when docking to large ships together.

OT: I believe my duna colony ship is the largest ive lunched at around 150t (roughly 1000 parts) for the ship, plus the 112.47tdrive (over 300 parts). So when docked its about 262.47t. However the game just cheated me and randomly accelerated something around the new docking port and destroyed the ship.

however, my friend did manage to get a 61 kerbal city to minmus with stock parts

Edited by AfailingHORSE

I prefer launching smallish things into orbit, as my computer cannot handle big rockets.

-snip-

While it may not be the largest vessel to be launched in KSP, it was heavy enough to snap struts at will. I never did manage to get it to orbit...

...and that's why I do only restrict myself to launching one orange tank in orbit for refueling missions, only slight changes are to be made (or none at all) at my standard issue lifter since heavy things means bigger and larger boosters, and bigger and larger boosters means more parts, therefore lag.

My heaviest launch: The Bucket.

vryUQRg.jpg

It's a 4000-ton SSTO booster, shaped like a U, pictured here carrying a 450-ton fuel depot. (400 tons for the tanker, 50 tons for the integral lander/refinery module.) Those are 3.75m rocket stacks, but they're not an asparagus; they're all rigidly connected at the bottom. The advantage of the U shape is that the payload can strut itself to the side walls to prevent any wobbling, which really helps with awkwardly shaped payloads. (An asparagus could go a lot higher than 11-12% payload fraction, but I'd lose the stability benefits.)

The Bucket has enough fuel onboard to get that 450-ton depot into a stable 100km circular orbit, and still have enough fuel left over to safely de-orbit itself afterwards. (I go for zero debris.) Alternately, going straight up gets the payload ALMOST out of Kerbin's SOI; while a gravity turn would save a little delta-V, a vertical launch has no control issues and can cleanly deploy the payload without risking a rotational collision.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.