How to make a payload fairing with stock part?

Hi all,

I have seen a few craft that have some payload fairing (or even a box around the rover for landing etc;..) that are made out of stock parts (the grey panels).

I just can't find out how does they attach the decoupler (it seems tey use a decoupler and separatron). when they eject everything.

I sadly can't find either the post or video where I saw those craft! I know scott manley have a video where he lands a rove on duna hidden in a box, but I can't find that video anymore :( and I have seen a craft that have proper payload fairing with those panels and cant find it anymore!

So if you guys know to how make them and/or have the link to one of those craft file, I would be happy!

Thanks in advance

Edited by ImpulseSpaceCenter
Answered

have a look to my angara family (in my sig) :) it has a a range of stock fairings :) (basically, the grey panels offer a really strong connection between themselves - so almost no strutting required, except between 'columns' of panels.

the radial decouplers offer a good support for the grey panels (just attach them directly to the 'ejected' part of the decoupler, and the decoupler will go with the panel) - if your fairing goes straight up, no problem, you can add grey panels lateraly to the first panel you just added. if you want to make an expanded style fairing, you will need to 'encircle' the rocket, with parts (like I-beam or cubic struts) which are fixed to your fairing decoupler, and then add your panels onto the decoupler / the I Beams (so each of them start horizontal)

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted :)

I haven't fully understood your explaination, but I didn't thought of the radial decoupler!

From the images on your angara family I don't see where it's attached to, but I will have a look at the craft file.

• 10 months later...