The Creation of KSS Phalanx (Warning Pic Heavy!)

Markotiks

Hello fellow Kerbalnauts!

Just wanted to share with you the evolution and creation of my first Kerbal Space Station, the Phalanx. It was built using a host of mods including FusTek parts, KW Rocketry, KAS, KSPX, RemoteTech, Robodyne Space Junk Cargo Bays, Quantum Struts, Ion Hybrid Engine Pack, JARFR Truss System, Aviation Lights amongst others. It took 5 launch missions to put together and was a blast to do so. The creating, failing, re-creating, then finally achieving success aspect of this game is one of the most appealing factors of it. I also didn't realize until later into the project that you can turn off the HUD for better pictures, so the first few pics have the HUD clutter. Sorry about that! So without further ado, I present to you the creation of the KSS Phalanx. Comments, thoughts, criticism, and praise are all welcome!

The purpose of this station is to provide an orbital Mission Control and as a Mission Hub or Midway for future missions to further reaches of the system. It should be capable of maintaining a sizable crew comfortably, service interplanetary ships, and it should be a secondary communications center.

The first and most crucial part for me was the creation of the SS Core. I wanted to make sure I can build off it easily and that it would provide all the necessary power needed for the rest of the station. It has 4 Gigantor XXL solar panels and 12 1000 Electric Charge MMI External batteries. I also gave it 2 Atomic Bell engines to place it into its final orbit and in case of any future course corrections.

CMdOXHJ.jpg

VDaurRw.jpg

Launching and placing the core into orbit.

qxPZluV.png

Powered up and ready to go!

The next step I took was to create and launch a Tug which would be used to dock all future sections of the KSS much easier. Thanks to Scott Manley for that idea (from his re-usable space program videos on youtube).

zqOrAT7.png

Deploying Space Tug to KSS Phalanx

The first module I added was the fuel cell. The JARFR Truss system gave me wonderful options for this.

This unit holds:

7,920 Units - Liquid Fuel

9,680 Units - Oxidizer

3000 Units- Monopropellant

66,000 units - Xenon Gas

With this section on, the KSS can now act as a refueling station for my future Mun Base project. It has already been used more than once as an emergency refueler for ships returning to Kerbin from Minmus.

1WfHfll.png

Launch. This sucker was heavy.

yBUseya.jpg

KuJo8C3.png

Using the Space Tug to dock the Refueling Module

xcYHfL9.jpg

0ukVpVO.jpg

Docked!

bfs1rQm.jpg

Refueling tanker replenishing the KSS

The next module was a quirky late night idea. I just started fiddling with KAS so I thought it would be fun to make a Utility hub module utilizing the KAS winch system. The module has everything a Kerbal needs for his Emrgency EVA missions: a Vertical Stack Winch, a Grappling Hook, an Electro-Magnet, and 2 Dismountable Radial Connector ports. It also has 2 additional 300 unit Monopropellant tanks as this module will also serve as a new docking "Garage" for the Space Tug.

y9GuSw5.jpg

Creating the KAS Utility Hub

fbXLrCJ.png

Docked Utility Hub and Space Tug in its new home.

2 more sections to go!

The Communication Array Tower was a fun build. This is when I first started messing around with the Aviation lighting mod. The tower has 4 RemoteTech MacroDish Sr.'s pointed at Mission Control, Mun, and Minmus, the fourth one free for now. It also has 2 RemoteTech Sat Dish 9000's pointed at Eve and Duna for future missions.

dq9Qx48.jpg

Once again using the Space Tug for docking.

7FphWsQ.jpg

btiMajE.jpg

The final section needed to complete the KSS Phalanx is the Habitation module. I wanted this module to provide plenty of room for our happy little Kerbals to enjoy Space and do their little Kerbal experiments and stuff. 2 Hitchhiker pods, 2 FusTek Kamony Nodes, and 2 Cupola Modules definitely provides that. Also it needed to provide a dock for new Kerbals to arrive and homesick Kerbals to go home. I differentiated the regular and small docking ports with green and blue lights from the Aviation Lighting pack. This unit had a very sketchy launch. Wobble, wobble, wobble!

2ufje6b.png

I didn't think I would get this far with the amount of wobble I encountered on launch. This section was on top of a larger lifter and I thought at one point the 2 sections were just going to snap apart.

ET8fwUA.png

loLjLnk.png

Retrieving and docking the Habitation Module

Mission Complete!

THE KSS PHALANX

ICiece3.png

FpYvz53.jpg

99T3yie.jpg

Happy little Kerbals in their new space station.

If you made it this far, thank you! If you all enjoyed this then I'll do more Mission Reports in the future for my Mun Base (I think I'll use the HOME mod for this) as well as trips to Eve and Duna, though the last two are still a way off. Thanks again for viewing, and THANK YOU SQUAD!!!

Awesome station. I'll have to say it's much more complex than my little station. I used only stock parts, and just made it big enough to hold enough fuel to fill the tanks of my interplanetary ships. Honestly, it's not much more than a small town gas station you'd expect to be run by a guy named "Earle."

Way to go!

Thanks for the positive comments! Here's a few more pics. They were just some pretty shots so I thought I would include them.

KP77CJt.png

Refueling the completed KSS

The next couple of pics are of a shuttle craft which I'll use to transfer Kerbalnauts from The KSS Phalanx to my future Mun SS.

4wYmk8h.png

Bob Kerman's cockpit view approaching the KSS

ae7fiJ7.png

Nr2eAVb.png

Docking the Kerbin-Mun Shuttle

P2ZowGc.png

X5jvZWq.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.