Horror games discussion

joppiesaus

There are several horror games, and I want to discuss them.

Personally I love the penumbra series. These are scary, entertaining and you must think what to do next. Like amnesia. The game makes you really feel scared, then confortable, and than again scared. Not like short horror story's. For example slender, one time WTF:huh: and than it is just slender. That gets bored I think. Penumbra is different in that, it is always something else, and you don't get too scared so you don't play it anymore.

There are lots of indie horror games, sometimes you will find a good one.

I am not someone who really knows horror games. I just played some games, not them all.

(Sorry for my bad english. I have dislexia and I am dutch)

Your English is fine. :)

I don't really see that many great horror games now days. Most big developers that try to make them end up attempting to cater for the lowest common denominator by holding the players hand and releasing a boring action game with no challenge, they often just pack in a load of cheap scares to justify its placement in the genre.

If there are any good ones out there, they're probably hiding in the huge pile of today's indie games.

I noticed that horror games become much more scary if you can't shoot what chasing you. :sticktongue:

In a sense, yeah. There was a horror game I'm vaguely recalling in which your avatar was a young girl on a steampunk-y airship. It was haunted, but the only way you could see the ghosts coming after you was with a camera you were carrying around. Ghosts would show up in the photographs; finding out they were places you didn't expect, or hoped they wouldn't be, was much more terrifying than so much of the "make you jump" horror stuff I see out there now.

Amnesia : The Dark Descent had enough immersion to be seriously terrifying both in the action parts and the non-action parts

FEAR had also a good amount of great scares (except for 3, which was garbage). Alone in the dark - The new nightmare still gives me the creeps thinking about it. Very athmospheric.

Doom 3 wasnt that scary, but had a nice amount of immersion to at least care about the effed upness of the situation.

Metro 2033 and Stalker both have that special amount of "Oh dear lord what the hell is happening" to be way enjoyable.

And then there are games that are not spcifically designed for 'hide under your blankets' horror at all but are still unsettling enough, like Half life and Portal. So far, i have to say Amnesia has been the first game to get me into fetal position since Alone in the dark. thats like, what, 10 years?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.