RocktCo Industries Orbital Parts Set + Sneak peek of new set on page 2! WIP 4!

Deusoverkill

Feanor: well... this is the stage set i plan to use, as far as i researched its correct. all liquid, with RD-108 cluster with verniers or a single RD_120K in first and second (to save modeling =P ) and an RD-0146E in third. right?

i splited the second stage in two tanks, to re-use the top one in the third stage, and save texture size. i think its more practical.

thanks for your comment!

stageset.jpg

Ah. excellent! I saw your 3d pictures and assumed they showed a single part for the boosters + core stage. If they are all liquid you\'ve fullfilled the wish!

And the detachable fuel tank is nice, since you can make R-7 ICBM\'s with this set aswell then.

I assume you know about the soyuz staging? The core stage fires at the same time as the boosters at liftoff time, so that it\'s fuel / consumption rate are balanced so that it burns out after the boosters.

Looking forward to it!

I assume you know about the soyuz staging? The core stage fires at the same time as the boosters at liftoff time, so that it\'s fuel / consumption rate are balanced so that it burns out after the boosters.

that i didnt know.

guess i need to be very carefull about the proportions of the tanks and thrust output in the core stage to match the timings then, awesomene stuff feanor, thanks so much! :thumbup:

Just a little detail: I recently noticed that your texture files (might be only the one on Hidra, though) are HORRENDEOUSLY large. I actually once had a 'Out of memory' error because of it. You should try increasing your compression settings (what is great with PNGs is that they have lossless compression).

Otherwise, great stuff, keep it comin\'!

Just a little detail: I recently noticed that your texture files (might be only the one on Hidra, though) are HORRENDEOUSLY large. I actually once had a 'Out of memory' error because of it. You should try increasing your compression settings (what is great with PNGs is that they have lossless compression).

Holycrap youre right! i totally forgot to downscale the chutes texture, its 2048 and the rest of the set is 1024, i`ll fix this in the next release,

sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for pointing that out man.

Very nice stuff. Will be downloading when it goes live. A few questions though;

-Will any of the engines, say stage 2 and stage 3 engines, be capable of gimballing?

-Will that sexy looking command pod be capable of any sort of glide? Re entry in it looks fun.

-What sort of payload can this thing deliver?

-Will any of the engines, say stage 2 and stage 3 engines, be capable of gimballing?

Usually yes and no, the first and second stage of the soyuz craft uses RD-107 and RD-108 engines, and this engines come with vernier thrusters instead of gimballing per se, as far as i know; so in a way, yes. because this verniers can change their angle to correct course.

its a matter of making the verniers a single object and thats easy, when te option becomes available ingame will see. but i dare to say yes to the rotating verniers.

-Will that sexy looking command pod be capable of any sort of glide? Re entry in it looks fun.

I hope so, or at least face the ground and deploy the chute in a propper way. have to test it extensively. :D

-What sort of payload can this thing deliver?

not sure yet, cause all the stage parts need to be balanced first (fuel amount, weight, output) but i will say a satellite or two, have to test it extensively too.

Thanks so much for the comment and questions Derhp! :)

Usually yes and no, the first and second stage of the soyuz craft uses RD-107 and RD-108 engines, and this engines come with vernier thrusters instead of gimballing per se, as far as i know; so in a way, yes. because this verniers can change their angle to correct course.

its a matter of making the verniers a single object and thats easy, when te option becomes available ingame will see. but i dare to say yes to the rotating verniers.

Hey that\'s awesome. I\'m even more excited about this project now. That command pod looks like a great edition to any rocket. If you get it out in time for 0.12, I might scrap my Hairies and take yours to the mun.

Why? Because:

Korolyov_cross.JPG

is awesome, amirite?

hmm, diffirent approaches to that - you could let the verniers be actual new engines, and have the stage above it have 5 attach points - 1 for the central engine, 4 for verniers - or you could let it be a single part, and just adjust the gimballing engines to have only the verniers moveable.

You\'ll have to go harvester for this, if that is possible.

Looking forward to this! A correctly-sized soyuz is such an important thing to have - it\'s the only currently man-rated booster - and it\'s derivative, the shenzou, of course.

And the Ariane V

And how is Shenjian a Soyuz \'derivative\'? The design may be vaguely similar, but China\'s space program was started after the Sino-Soviet split, and there is a clear progression to it from prevous designs.

Some more info-

Just like the Atlas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65_Atlas ) the soyuz core stage fires from the ground.

That is, because at the start of the space program, both soyuz and atlas designers didn\'t want to deal with starting up a big LOX engine on altitude; groundbased is safe.

Thus, atlas has sustainer engines, and Soyuz has boosters that fire at the same time as the core stage.

Later development 'fixed' this. Continued using proven designs.

The russians where even better at doing this - The R-7, the first intercontinental missile, has basically the same booster and core stages as the current soyuz.

Now that\'s proven design. An upgrade might be needed ( and is being worked on), but you don\'t fix what ain\'t broken.

GPN-2002-000184.png

Just look at that bottom part. Beautifull.

And the Ariane V

And how is Shenjian a Soyuz \'derivative\'? The design may be vaguely similar, but China\'s space program was started after the Sino-Soviet split, and there is a clear progression to it from prevous designs.

Ariane V is designed, but not actually implemented various parts. It is therefore not manrated. Same for current falcon 9 - it has it\'s margins, but not the actual implementation (yet).

Sorry about the chinese missile, I was thinking about the spacecraft, not the launcher. You are absolutely correct. I hope you don\'t mean to say that the Shenzhou isn\'t soyuz derived ;)

Current man-rated is not the same as 'designed for people' - you have to actually implement the features ( not only error detection, but also systems that do something with that data ).

It\'d also help if there actually was ever a human launched with it.

I\'m not bashing the ariane V, mind you. It\'s excellent, but it also is not a currently flying people launcher.

you could let the verniers be actual new engines, and have the stage above it have 5 attach points - 1 for the central engine, 4 for verniers

this is the way to go with the gimballing and the verniers. 8)

GPN-2002-000184.png

Just look at that bottom part. Beautifull.

Very usefull data; and the scalling image is the thing i just needed to land everything into proportion!

thanks so much for the info Feanor!

Epsilon, Kryten, Derhp: thanks for commenting :)

yeah you`re right, i tend to use more oranges, blues and overall high contrast in my textures... but this is cause they are not real world rocket parts; and i may be wrong, but i see a colorfull game (the editor, icons, and the environment, they are all colorfull or at least, thats the way i see em), and thats what i try to match and try to make better in my parts. but yeah, the colors may be too shinny and contrasty.

I quite like your parts the way they are. It\'s almost as if they were cell-shaded.

So I spent most of my work day looking at youtube videos of Soyuz launches and documentaries. I am now determined to go to the Mun in a Soyuz, to do the soviets justice in the Mun space race. No pressure deus, but I NEED this to be finished for 0.12. We\'re...

bill-lumbergh-1_Full.jpg

...gonna need you to work through the weekend. :P

So I spent most of my work day looking at youtube videos of Soyuz launches and documentaries. I am now determined to go to the Mun in a Soyuz, to do the soviets justice in the Mun space race. No pressure deus, but I NEED this to be finished for 0.12. We\'re...

bill-lumbergh-1_Full.jpg

...gonna need you to work through the weekend. :P

That reminded me about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz-2_%28rocket%29

Will Kliper have its own RCS thrusters/thruster blocks, RCS tank and parachute?

Deusoverkill, can you make (somewhen) Zenit and Angara rocket families, which also were proposed as launch vehicles for Kliper?

Some good CG of winged Kliper at the Russian site about reusable launch systems - http://buran.ru/htm/foto12.htm (Note the LES-adapter)

0G26f6TR.gift33amwhm.th.jpg

Will Kliper have its own RCS thrusters/thruster blocks, RCS tank and parachute?

Deusoverkill, can you make (somewhen) Zenit and Angara rocket families, which also were proposed as launch vehicles for Kliper?

Those will have to be diffirent parts, but that can be modelled; it depends on how big the kliper 'command' module is. You could easily make it so that that command module does not have wings or RCS or a parachute, so that you can attach those yourself ( or not ).

Zenit and Angara rockets are a nother big step, let him make his soyuz first ;)

Phoxtane: thanks for the support, glad you like the styling of the current parts :)

Kairu: thanks for the high rez cg images, Very usefull stuff! :thumbup:

'Will Kliper consist of several separate parts?' 'its own RCS thrusters/thruster blocks, RCS tank and parachute?'

YES, it will consist of several parts, splited as the real ones or as close as i can get thinking about functionality.

can you make (somewhen) Zenit and Angara rocket families, which also were proposed as launch vehicles for Kliper?

posibly yes, in future releases, but as Feanor said, first things first. ;)

Derhp: mun!, WORK ON WEEKEND!! :o

thanks everyone for you comments and support!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.