Few questions about science

Nxsonup

Hello, i wanted to ask a few questions about science, that i cant find in google (im handy with it)

Lets say, i have an iron chunk, like 10cm x 10cm, if i grind it for lets say infinite time, will it become liquid(?), something like if i grind it to maximum possble level?

Another one i thought for some time, is does explosion effect stack? For example, i have 1 TNT stick, and i detonate it under ground, and it blows 1m x 1m hole (spherical). Now lets say i have 10 TNT sticks, and i detonate it underground aswell, so it will be perfectly 10x bigger than with 1 stick?

A1 : No, you will get fine iron powder, below certain grain size, your capability to further break up grains will decrease rapidly to zero as you will eventually press as many grains together as you crush apart. ( that is when you allow the heat of friction to escape, otherwise the powder will heat up to the melting point of iron, and then you will get you liquid, but not the way you probably intended )

A2 : blast wave decreases with square of distance and energy per volume with cube of distance, so, I would say, that you will get cca 10^(1/3) = cca 2.1 x increase in diameter when you increase the amount of TNT 10 x.

Edited by MBobrik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.