The L.O.G. Multiplayer Project

MarkusA380

Do you like the idea of it?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of it?

Well, it might be a little tricky when considering the reference frame. Its easy on the ground... you can use the planets "away from center"-vector. But in space you have to consider stuff like rotating planets...

Your timewarp system works for interplanetary travel, but if some obnoxious user decides to timewarp out, they have effectively avoided anything headed there way. Say you shoot a missile at someone, once they see ti coming, they can timewarp, and the missile never hits them.

Timewarp won't work with PvP and KSP isn't designed for PvP as well. Opposed to what modern media is suggesting are space battles pretty boring anyway (was it a manley vid?)

So we might should just have a nice MP for the beginning and someone can later try to figure out PvP.

Edited by Faark

Can I make a suggestion - having played several Paradox games, there has always been a permission system for timewarp. Players agree and timewarp commences. Now, if this is coupled with something like Kerbal Alarm clock so people can't be dicks and overshoot your node, then you could easily have a functional warp that will be friendly to all players.

Like I said, super easy :P At worst, you just deconstruct the Quaternion into 4 separate floats and reconstruct it on the other side.

That's funny. Why didn't you all read the description of the video?

There it is written that nothing changed at the mod; I still haven't added rotation! :D

But CARROTSAREAWESOME and I will add it in the next version.

Well, it might be a little tricky when considering the reference frame. Its easy on the ground... you can use the planets "away from center"-vector. But in space you have to consider stuff like rotating planets...

Timewarp won't work with PvP and KSP isn't designed for PvP as well. Opposed to what modern media is suggesting are space battles pretty boring anyway (was it a manley vid?)

So we might should just have a nice MP for the beginning and someone can later try to figure out PvP.

I completley agree on that.

There it is written that nothing changed at the mod; I still haven't added rotation! :D

Oh, that is embarrassing. I might shouldn't watch vids and comment on them late in the night^^

But no, i haven't read the video description, since i watched the embedded version that does not display any.

But CARROTSAREAWESOME and I will add it in the next version.

I didn't watch the new video, just commenting on Faark's posts about the Quanternion :P

Have you gotten timewarp to work? If not, you should probably focus on that, it'll probably be a massive job. Looking forward to getting to build massive spacestations with my friend!

Also, will mods make the server/client go haywire?

He already fixed multiplayer. It wasn't that hard, what is harder is rotation.

Read the OP

I think there will be an option for this.

But, I don't understand your example. :D

I think with time warps.... just having whoever is local to one another, check their times... if they are not at the same time they don't show up to one another, if they are in the same area but at different game times a pop-up a box will list them and if you want to sync to the other players time you click the name and click sync.

If one player warps, they just stop being updated by any player not at the same time as they are.

This is very simple and realistic. Furthermore: Say Billy is on the moon, mining Keth, and Jim-bob wants to join him, all he needs to do is get to the moon, in the same general area, and bring up the sync time window. Jim-Bob selects Billy who is 3 days ahead, and then clicks 'sync time' and ta daa! they can see one another.

Problem of warp is solved. (basically).

KSP may not be designed for war but that's why we have mods :) So PVP is staying in my list of hopefuls for this project or other projects that might come after. It's up there with Spore-like civilization building in different star systems :P (for multiplayer at least, SP can stay just Kerbin)

On a side note: Do you guys have any idea's on maybe bridging architecture/features with Kerbal Live Feed. I don't mean taking code necessarily (because that's in all probability impossible) but things like an active player listing with location details (what they are flying/building/crashing) as well as orbital map information? While I believe things would be low priority for you now I think they could be cool things to help flesh out the multiplayer. Also I would like to second the question about how you think mods would fair with L.O.G. as I believe that is something that is hugely important.

Edited by PhoenixTheSage

KSP may not be designed for war but that's why we have mods :) So PVP is staying in my list of hopefuls for this project or other projects that might come after. It's up there with Spore-like civilization building in different star systems :P (for multiplayer at least, SP can stay just Kerbin)

On a side note: Do you guys have any idea's on maybe bridging architecture/features with Kerbal Live Feed. I don't mean taking code necessarily (because that's in all probability impossible) but things like an active player listing with location details (what they are flying/building/crashing) as well as orbital map information? While I believe things would be low priority for you now I think they could be cool things to help flesh out the multiplayer. Also I would like to second the question about how you think mods would fair with L.O.G. as I believe that is something that is hugely important.

Those are some good questions.

I will try to answer them as good as I can:

The server software will be downloadable by anyone. You will be able to use any mod on your server, as long as everyone on the server has got it.

How we will solve this in particular is not cleared yet.

PvP will work. If we don't find any better solution, you will just be able to turn off timewarp to make war possible.

Yes, will implement Chat and things like they have in KLF. That's necessary to make a good MP. :D

But, it's low priority.

Those are some good questions.

I will try to answer them as good as I can:

The server software will be downloadable by anyone. You will be able to use any mod on your server, as long as everyone on the server has got it.

How we will solve this in particular is not cleared yet.

PvP will work. If we don't find any better solution, you will just be able to turn off timewarp to make war possible.

Yes, will implement Chat and things like they have in KLF. That's necessary to make a good MP. :D

But, it's low priority.

Thanks for responding, very cool. As for everyone on the server having the same mod, you could go the Minecraft route and have a sort of checklist server side (for Minecraft though, the mods HAD to be installed server side to work at all in MP, not entirely the case for KSP I suppose but that depends how you're server setup is built) that checks anyone who joins against it, denying them on join if they don't have all the required mods.

How is progress on the plugin? Usually development goes quickly initially, but then activity kind of dies down.

CARROTARAWESOME is on vacation atm.. But we will have the next version with rotation and more than two players possible out soon.

"With the Release of 0.22, All work on this project will be delayed due to this Badass update. Any suggestions will go to my receptionist Mitzy, Be back as soon as this update gets boring (A While from now)"

Not really. I just can't play anymore without thinking how cool it would be to play all this together... and five seconds and one Alt + F4 later I am again working on L.O.G. . :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.