Help with editing CFG file

dethsturm

I decided that I want to try to learn how to mod in KSP and I was starting out simple. I'm trying to convert the LV-909 from being a LFO engine to a Mono-propellant engine from I the CFG file. I removed the second propellant requirement and changed the first requirement to MP, updated the ratio and removed the line to enable the fuel bar. I even compared what I did with the MP engine from Kosmos Space Station Parts. Every time I try to test it, the engine flames out and claims it is out of liquid fuel. Am I missing something? Is there another file I need to modify to get it to burn Mono-propellant? My goal is to create an OMS system that is throttle-able and independent of RCS.

I don't think you can convert a LF engine into a monopropellant engine just by editing the cfg file... :/
That's what I'm thinking based on the results I had. I do not know exactly how this game is structured for parts and this is all trial and error for me. What other files in the part folders contain properties related to the actual function of the part and not just the model/mesh?

That's what I'm thinking based on the results I had. I do not know exactly how this game is structured for parts and this is all trial and error for me. What other files in the part folders contain properties related to the actual function of the part and not just the model/mesh?

*Everything* related to the function of the part is in the part.cfg to my knowledge. Some of the effects have to be set up in unity, but not the resource system. What you described should work. I'd go test it myself, but I FUBARed my KSP install. Post up the full cfg inside a code tag?

EDIT: You know, on second thought, I give 90% odds that you didn't change the 'name' field of your new part, which makes it so the game can't tell the two apart when loading a saved ship. In your case, you MP engine would revert to a LFO engine on the launchpad. I've had it happen to me before with part rescales. That name field always has to be unique across the entire install.

Edited by FireStormOOO

EDIT: You know, on second thought, I give 90% odds that you didn't change the 'name' field of your new part, which makes it so the game can't tell the two apart when loading a saved ship. In your case, you MP engine would revert to a LFO engine on the launchpad. I've had it happen to me before with part rescales. That name field always has to be unique across the entire install.

This was one of my first obstacles. You can certainly change an engine fuel type using the .cfg file. I would recommend looking through other mods to get a sense of what you can do with a .cfg file.

*Everything* related to the function of the part is in the part.cfg to my knowledge. Some of the effects have to be set up in unity, but not the resource system. What you described should work. I'd go test it myself, but I FUBARed my KSP install. Post up the full cfg inside a code tag?

I do remember changing the in-game name of the part but not the name in the general parameters. I will test this as soon as I am at home.

Edit: Seems like that was the issue. All Engines are working fine!

Edited by dethsturm
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.