Recording Videos

airlynx99

Hey there, not sure where to put this, but I need some help recording videos. I go to YouTube and see all the wonderful videos and I just want to contribute to the fun, but seem to have problems. I noticed in Scott Manley's video about editing .cfg files and parts that he uses CamStudio and it's open source, so being an open source fan that was my natural choice. Unfortunately it has less than optimal performance for me as you can see in my first attempt here:

The default encoder didn't work so I tried in SWF mode, which gave me a recording framerate of less than 5 per second, ick. The above video was recorded with the Microsoft Encoder on AVI which gave me a better framerate, but the quality of it is terrible and it seemed to slow down pretty much everything on the computer until I closed CamStudio itself (things were slow even when I wasn't recording). Also I don't seem to be able to record from microphone and the game simultaneously. I have a fairly decent computer, quad-core AMD A-8 Vision processor, AMD Radeon graphics, 12 GB RAM, and Windows 8. So my question is this: What sort of system stats, settings, and software do you use when recording your videos for YouTube? (extra points go to open source solutions :) )

Use Bandicam (the free version is enough), with an option to record mic and sound on one or two audio tracks (two is best so that if the sound of the game drowns out your voice, you are able to turn the game sound down).

The low quality of the video is most likely due to the compression you have used (or lack there of). In Windows Movie make (for example) it gives you the option of the quality of the .mp4 file you wish to upload (this being your video). Preferably do not upload .avi files to YouTube, as in my experience the upload quality is set to the minimum.

I hope this helps.

Checked out Bandicam demo, much better quality recording with much less monkeying around to get it to work. License is ~ $40 so I guess it's not too bad to get rid of the watermark. I'm recently making a return to Windows from years of using Linux, so I'm relearning lots lately :) Thanks for the input.

Use Bandicam (the free version is enough), with an option to record mic and sound on one or two audio tracks (two is best so that if the sound of the game drowns out your voice, you are able to turn the game sound down).

The low quality of the video is most likely due to the compression you have used (or lack there of). In Windows Movie make (for example) it gives you the option of the quality of the .mp4 file you wish to upload (this being your video). Preferably do not upload .avi files to YouTube, as in my experience the upload quality is set to the minimum.

I hope this helps.

You know, i always use .AVI to youtube. mostly because it's what blender outputs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.