Whats that dot in the sky?

j-tk

I've heard of/seen things called "meridians".

Its when the sunlight reflects off the antenna of a satellite causing a huge beam of light.

They're extremely predictable, and fun to watch. :D

Iridian flares. I see them a lot. There out of commission satellites that are tumbling in orbit. Which is why they flux in magnitude.

There are some defunct satellites, but there are a ton of working ones, too; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation.

I wonder if something similar could be added to KSP. Instead of just showing the little tracking reticule, vessels in the correct orbit could be shown as streaks of light across the sky. This would required some way of knowing if the vessel in question is currently in sunlight.

It's not exactly a priority. But, it would be cool if you could look up and see a bunch of streaks crossing the sky.

There are some defunct satellites, but there are a ton of working ones, too; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation.

I wonder if something similar could be added to KSP. Instead of just showing the little tracking reticule, vessels in the correct orbit could be shown as streaks of light across the sky. This would required some way of knowing if the vessel in question is currently in sunlight.

It's not exactly a priority. But, it would be cool if you could look up and see a bunch of streaks crossing the sky.

Well real satellites can only be scene for a few hours after and before sunset. There so high up that there still in daylight until they pass into Earth's shadow. That shouldnt be too hard to emulate. If the craft is in the sun it should be displayed as a pin head sized dot in the sky.

It's def planetary moons. Went thru using hyper edit, and from each planet you can see small moons/and or big moons, ie from Kerbin you see Mum as a full size moon, and minmus as a white dot arcing thru the sky. Will edit this post with a few screenies

after wife lets me go play some hookey, aka KSP :)

edit, Here we go, here's an Example of Gilly as Seen from Eve Orbit:

i7e.png

Edited by j-tk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.