[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

Hey, have any mac users out there been able to successfully create a bodies.ini file? I have a bare-bones Realism Overhaul install, 32bit, with just the required dependencies to make it run. I'm following the instructions on the main page; Run KSP and get to the flight scene, then open up KSP TOT and click "Create New Bodies File From KSP" but I just get error messages.

First one says "Please make sure KSP is running in the Flight Scene with the KSPTOTConnect plugin loaded before continuing."

Second one, with a headliner of No Data reads: "There was an error pulling data from KSPTOTConnect. Is KSP running in the Flight Scene with the KSPTOTConnect plugin loaded?"

At this point I decided to test out the Real Time System to make sure that it could actually connect to my game, and it did. It appears that the KSPTOTConnect plugin works just fine. But Then I tried to get the bodies.ini file again but ran into the same two error messages.

I've also tried this exact process on an Outer Planets Mod install, as well as on the stock game, and had the same results each time, so I don't think Kopernicus is the issue.

Any help in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated, this is an awesome tool and I'd love to be able to use it to it's full potential! :)

Love this tool thank you Arrowstar.

I have one question though, on the mission architect in the "select event to insert" and DV Maneuver there is a Circularize option, but it doesn't seem to have an optimize-able varaiables so how do you use this option?

In future would it be possible to set up some way of setting the initial state and first burn in mission architect from the selected burn in the porkchop plot? Would also be great to have more options in the porkchop plot, similar those that Alexmun's porkchop plotter has like ability to specify starting orbital altitude and specify larger or smaller departure and arrival windows. ie It is handy to investigate a wider initial search and then focus more closely on individual minima

I have one question though, on the mission architect in the "select event to insert" and DV Maneuver there is a Circularize option, but it doesn't seem to have an optimize-able varaiables so how do you use this option?

There's nothing to optimize for a circularize event, the event is calculated when it is selected and you get a circular orbit after carrying out the maneuver. If you want to optimize it, just change it back to the default proscribed maneuver after saving it as a circularize event and the values will show up in the radial/normal/prograde boxes

hey Arrowstar I did a pretty exhaustive prediction of what my [URL="http://bit.ly/meeny"]captured asteroid[/URL] would do over the next couple of months:

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/nDa10eA.png"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nDa10eAm.png[/IMG][/URL]

It recently encountered Mun for its first time since it was captured and I let the entire encounter run from the tracking station. When I took the new orbital data from the SFS file and plotted future SOI encounters now I have this:

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/uoPRm0W.png"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uoPRm0Wm.png[/IMG][/URL]

So instead of 18 separate Mun encounters before being thrown out of the system in 3 years it now has one Minmus and Mun encounter before ejection. Is this just precision inconsistency at work? I recall earlier how I was asking about not getting an SOI hit when loading up a saved file rather than from importing orbital data.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Arrowstar I've been using the Mission Animator in some system-wide views lately and noticed the child bodies feature suffers from the same impairment the figure rendering used to have - they render too small to be seen at that scale. They should also be replaced by markers if the view gets far enough away.

Also some additional minor quibbles about the Mission Animator - the Azimuth Offset seems itself to be offset by 90 degrees (that figure is rendered at X-Y View), and you can only get 89 degrees on the Elevation Offset which doesn't quite give you a proper top-down view (not sure tho if that's just due to a camera issue and gimbal lock)

h8yb9J0m.png

Aaaaand teeny little niggle I've had for a while is if you render a Graphical Analysis plot with subplots the Data Cursor tool isn't automatically selected like it is with single plots

Edited by Gaiiden

So, I'm back after forever, and it occurred to me to ask... has anyone thought about writing an advanced guide to build upon the basic tutorial? There are a lot of things I'm sure you can do with this program that are either not apparent to a new(ish) user, or their implementation is complex enough that you might not be able to figure it out through trial and error.

Is there a standard bodies.ini for 'the solar system'? I was thinking about playing around with real life flybys and it sounded like 'all you need' is the bodies.ini - is that right?

I'd also been reading a little and it sounds like real life planners use 'conic patch lambert solvers' to get some approximate solution and then refine the solutions they like using some kind of 'n-body something solvers'. Is that your understanding also? It sounds like this tool does the conic patch version (which fits real kerbal life), do you have any references for the n-body ones?

4 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

So, I'm back after forever, and it occurred to me to ask... has anyone thought about writing an advanced guide to build upon the basic tutorial? There are a lot of things I'm sure you can do with this program that are either not apparent to a new(ish) user, or their implementation is complex enough that you might not be able to figure it out through trial and error.

if people have thought about it but haven't done it, then they probably don't have time to do it. Or experience. I'm lacking in both at the moment but what I've managed to learn so far has been added to the KSPTOT Wiki

1 hour ago, DBowman said:

Is there a standard bodies.ini for 'the solar system'? I was thinking about playing around with real life flybys and it sounded like 'all you need' is the bodies.ini - is that right?

If you want a .ini for the Solar System (as in, RSS) then you just need to generate one. Load up your RSS install and start KSPTOT and then select File->Create New Bodies File from KSP while in a flight scene (vessel loaded)

4 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

if people have thought about it but haven't done it, then they probably don't have time to do it. Or experience. I'm lacking in both at the moment but what I've managed to learn so far has been added to the KSPTOT Wiki

If you want a .ini for the Solar System (as in, RSS) then you just need to generate one. Load up your RSS install and start KSPTOT and then select File->Create New Bodies File from KSP while in a flight scene (vessel loaded)

I'll have a look at that, thanks.

5 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Thanks Gaiiden. I wanted the Actual Solar System - RSS might well be identical - I'll give that a shot. If anyone has one handy please post it. It might make a nice 'easter egg' for the mod also.

Ok, so here's what I'd like to do for my next mission, and I think KSPTOT can help me with it, but I've got no clue how to approach the planning. I'm sending a probe to Duna, where it will end up in a polar orbit for scientific and mapping purposes, but on the approach, I'd like to setup a flyby of Ike so that I can pull science from there and also drop off a lander probe. There will also be a landing probe on Duna itself. Is there a way to coordinate all of that through KSPTOT, and if so, how?

For clarity, this is the mission profile:

1. Depart Kerbin
  2. Fly-by of Ike
  3. Release Ike lander
  4. Release Duna lander
  5. Polar mapping orbit of Duna

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Ok, so here's what I'd like to do for my next mission, and I think KSPTOT can help me with it, but I've got no clue how to approach the planning. I'm sending a probe to Duna, where it will end up in a polar orbit for scientific and mapping purposes, but on the approach, I'd like to setup a flyby of Ike so that I can pull science from there and also drop off a lander probe. There will also be a landing probe on Duna itself. Is there a way to coordinate all of that through KSPTOT, and if so, how?

This is definitely doable with KSPTOT. Based only on a single mission I've planned to Duna that successfully inserted into a pre-planned polar mapping orbit (no Ike flyby), you have two options once you plot a trajectry from Kerbin to Duna polar orbit (see the included Kerbin->Laythe tutorial which outlines the same steps):

1. Finagle the departure time from Kerbin to reach Duna at an appropriate time for an Ike intercept
  2. Insert a mid-course correction burn while in Kerbolar orbit to adjust your trajectory to intercept Ike

Not sure which would be easier to work out or better for efficiency. But anyways after doing the initial trajectory switch to the event view where you hit Duna periapsis and click the options to show child bodies so you can see Ike's position at that time. You want it to be somewhere close to directly behind Duna along your SOI entry trajectory so you can adjust course a bit to travel higher over Duna and hit its SOI. Then use the optimizer to search for a periapsis event within Ike.

Gaaahhh maybe that was a crappy explanation but bottom line is its totally possible and if you really can't figure it out I could prob work up a simple example...

2 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

This is definitely doable with KSPTOT. Based only on a single mission I've planned to Duna that successfully inserted into a pre-planned polar mapping orbit (no Ike flyby), you have two options once you plot a trajectry from Kerbin to Duna polar orbit (see the included Kerbin->Laythe tutorial which outlines the same steps):

1. Finagle the departure time from Kerbin to reach Duna at an appropriate time for an Ike intercept
  2. Insert a mid-course correction burn while in Kerbolar orbit to adjust your trajectory to intercept Ike

Not sure which would be easier to work out or better for efficiency. But anyways after doing the initial trajectory switch to the event view where you hit Duna periapsis and click the options to show child bodies so you can see Ike's position at that time. You want it to be somewhere close to directly behind Duna along your SOI entry trajectory so you can adjust course a bit to travel higher over Duna and hit its SOI. Then use the optimizer to search for a periapsis event within Ike.

Gaaahhh maybe that was a crappy explanation but bottom line is its totally possible and if you really can't figure it out I could prob work up a simple example...

I'll give those a try, but I was hoping for a more direct approach than finagling... Do you think the flyby planner would be useful in this case?

What is the procedure for setting up an aerobraking maneuver? I'm trying to set up an aerobrake on the approach to Duna, but I keep getting the warning that my trajectory doesn't intersect the atmosphere, despite the fact that I've gotten it as low as 10km and am getting other warnings indicating my periapse is within the atmosphere.  I asked this once a long time ago and never got an answer... hopefully someone can fill me in now?

So I'm suddenly getting some really odd behavior with TOT. When I try to run it, nothing happens, but when I look for it in my system processes, three instances of the program are active, each using 100kb of memory. They just sit there, however, never actually loading the program. Whats going on here?