So I thought it would be fun to build a boat, and man was I wrong. After a few hours of frustration (part if it being the hassle of getting to the water to test) I'm stumped. The game seems to handle water like a trampoline that destroys everything it touches. Has anyone had any success building a boat that's actually fun to drive?

Many people have. It appears the trick is that a part that enters the water at any but the most gentle speed will likely dissolve. However, once a part is in the water, it's safe. There was a challenge about boating around the island near KSP in which people were sailing at 100-200 m/s. They just had to slam on the brakes and enter the water at less than 3 m/s.

I have entered the water under 7 m/s safely. Just depends on the length of the boat and direction one enters the water. Shorter is better as it will less likely brake things of when entering the water. Also suggest getting one of the mods that has boat parts that use electricity to avoid using jet engine to produce thrust as the fuel does not last forever and it can be a pain in the buns to refuel without cheating more fuel in. This is my first boat attempt with stock parts only.

038F6D51D0551DDB24744F453696A1F7CFFC1578

As you can see it can drive on land as well as refuel while in the water. The plane in the background I had fun landing that in the water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.