Interplanetary Auto Racing!

The Kerbal Auto Racing League is going interplanetary! KARL needs you to transport the finest of Kerbal racing vehicles to the most scenic landscapes in the system, where brave Kerbals will race for glory and a large cash prize, thanks to our sponsors. It's your job to transport the vehicles to your planet of choice, and set up the racing track.

Rules:

1) At least 4 cars must be present for a race, in close enough proximity to each other for a picture.

2) Cars must be manned by one Kerbal each, in an external chair

3) You must set up some manner of race course, either by placing objects to drive around, or however else seems logical to you. If you can justify it in the description, it's good enough.

4) The race course must have some sort of defined start/finish line. This can be a flat object in the roadway, or two beacons placed side by side- whatever makes sense to you.

5) Mods are allowed, but cheating is not. Kerbal challenges should be fun, not exercises in rules lawyering.

6) Get some good shots of the race!

7) You can use whatever launch vehicles you want, or however many you want. Whatever works and makes you happy.

8) If there's not a rule against it, and it isn't douchey, you can do it. (I swear every time I make one of these, like 30 people ask for clarifications on little nuances of the rules, rather than just getting in there and having fun with it.)

Scoring:

1pt for each car transported safely, up to a max of 40 (as in still race-worthy after it lands)

1pt for each car safely returned to Kerbin after the race (score not modified)

1-10pts for racetrack setup, car coolness, and general epicness of the photoshoot, based purely on my subjective judgment.

2pts for having a comm sat in orbit around the planet you choose so the Kerbals back home can watch the race in HD.

Modifiers:

x0.1 for Kerbin

x1 for the Mun or Minmus

x2 for Duna, Ike, Eve, or Gilly

x3 for Moho, Laythe, Bop, or Pol

x4 for Dres or Eeloo

x5 for Vall

x6 for Tylo

If you hold the race on multiple planets with the same cars and equipment, you get to add your scores together.

Here's my crappy proof of concept (there's a fourth car on the Mun, but I forgot to grab enough kerbals before I left like a moron, so I'm going to have to send a second vessel). By happy accident I landed right next to the arch, which formed a delightful start/finish line. Track setup is still in-progress. I'll make a much sexier attempt when I have a little more time over the next week.

WIxLw69.jpg

ypFbdl7.jpg

E0RwRyL.png

Now THIS is a challenge I can get behind. The FIA has gone interplanetary, and thanks to Jeb they ditched the V8 limitations, F1 will never be the same and this time that means good things. +1 vote for a new name, Ayrton Kerman.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.