low level speed challenge

the idea is to accelerate to as fast as you can under 250m sea level

you can use mechjeb and all mods are allowed if you are using the parts for weights. using the non-stock engines is banned

no drop tanks

x2 score if it is VTOL capable (must provide screenshot of it hovering)

+50 if it is manned (+20 every kerbal above 1)

x2 if it can land on water (provide a screenshot)

+50 if it can turn around and land (screenshot)

+50 if you can get within 5m of the water horizontally (screenshot)

+50 for an escape mechanism

+50 for no wings

x2 if you can reach the other continent (not the island sorry)

+50 for reaching the island with the airport on it

awards

lightest ship-

heaviest ship-

(will add more)

leaderboard

1. cuddly bunny-1848m/s

2. Troma3D- 948m/s

3. Nalin_Airheart- 600m/s

4. redwolfy-SV1-338m/s

here is my entry SV1

YHZ4vJX.jpg

and here is it hovering

R6KF6EB.png

so that would be

base speed- 119m/s

+50 as it is manned

x2 for VTOL

so 338m/s

Edited by redwolfy

How about using basic jet engines as VTOL engines? They drain alot less fuel than rocket engines so you'll be able to hover for an extended period of time.

Basicly, create a main body, place wings, and under the wings hang fuel tanks out to the sides of the main body, while keeping them all in line with the center of mass.

Hi !

Here is my entry

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Highest speed : 274 m/s

+50 as it manned

+50 as it flown below 5m

+50 for landing on a runway (the island one was on the way of the other continent so i've done everything on the same flight)

+50 for an emmergency mechanism (a parachute on the command pod because I hate to kill kerbals during trys)

x2 the other continent was reached

so the final score is 948 m/s

Okay, so i tried this and screwed up a little bit, but hopefully you can still count it.

On my island landing i knocked off my vtol engine, i did the speed run with it and had already landed and taken off from the water with it. I think my points go like this:

+50 if it is manned

+50 if it can turn around and land (screenshot)

+50 if you can get within 5m of the water horizontally (screenshot)

+50 for an escape mechanism

+50 for reaching the island with the airport on it

x2 score if it is VTOL capable (must provide screenshot of it hovering)

x2 if it can land on water (provide a screenshot)

My speed was 212 so including all of these my speed was 462 x2 x2 so its 1848:).

Link to album : http://imgur.com/a/3pcVo

Couldn't we just do some insane TWR shenanigans with a rocket/jet engine cluster and achieve insane speeds under 250m? Also a parachute would allow for fairly easy water landings. AND INFINIGLIDE, oh I've reached over 450m/s with a manned infiglide rocket and 4km/s with an unmanned winglet cluster. I will attempt this legitimately but just what are you going to do about the aforementioned problems? I'd recommend using Speed over Land as limiter.

Alright I've done it, in the .18.3 Demo I've made a simple rocket with enough wings to go horizontal.

Ground Speed: 301m/s

+50 for one Kerbal

+50 gliding at 5m

Score: 401m/s

I could make a new design but it's insanely hard to balance out the tiny winglets in the VAB.

Here are the pics.

EDIT: And I've done it again, this time with a less prone to dieing chemical rocket that can actually hover.

Ground Speed: 200m/s

+50 for one Kerbal

+50 gliding at 5m

2x it can hover

Score: 600m/s

Pictures are in the same album as the last one and finally here's the video.

Edited by Nalin_Airheart

Couldn't we just do some insane TWR shenanigans with a rocket/jet engine cluster and achieve insane speeds under 250m? Also a parachute would allow for fairly easy water landings. AND INFINIGLIDE, oh I've reached over 450m/s with a manned infiglide rocket and 4km/s with an unmanned winglet cluster. I will attempt this legitimately but just what are you going to do about the aforementioned problems? I'd recommend using Speed over Land as limiter.

I actually had the same idea as this for a bit but decided the Multipliers were probably the way to go as even with a rocket under 250m its hard getting good speed while still haveing an easy plane to fly. I was also going for the other continent multiplier but i ended up so happy with how well it flies VTOL i didnt want to strap the extra fuel to it so my life would be easier in landings(still screwed it up). I'm hoping he doesn't accept infiglide submission because its all pointless then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.