Copenhagen Suborbitals Discussion

I felt the need to make this as we really need one! Here we could discuss everything Copenhagen Suborbitals!

Now, I thought the Sapphire launch was epic, I wonder what the next rocket/launch will be, and when Copenhagen Suborbitals will become Copenhagen Orbitals.

Thoughts on Sunday's launch and what the next thing they launch will be?

I felt the need to make this as we really need one! Here we could discuss everything Copenhagen Suborbitals!

Now, I thought the Sapphire launch was epic, I wonder what the next rocket/launch will be, and when Copenhagen Suborbitals will become Copenhagen Orbitals.

Thoughts on Sunday's launch and what the next thing they launch will be?

The next rocket will be the HEAT-2X with active guidance.

Not sure why they didn't use GPS for the parachute deployment

Most GPS system have a limit. They Shut down at a certain acceleration and attitude, we cant make it too easy for the North Koreans ;)

It looked like it was going "Off-on-off...-on" What was that about. Was it planned?

No it wasnt planned but expected. Using liquid nitrous oxide and polyurethane has its advantages and disadvantages.

The HEAT2-X will run on a liquid engine using LOX and ethanol.

Most GPS system have a limit. They Shut down at a certain acceleration and attitude, we cant make it too easy for the North Koreans ;)

Ah, I see.

Congratulations on the successful launch, it's a magnificent achievement.

It's probably a range safety thing. Given the population density in denmark, there can't be many inland areas large and uninhabited enough to drop rocket stages in.

I was thinking about that the other day while watching test stand footage of the rocket motor tests and notice that at least one office building there gets a great view of the rockets going off.

Skip to 1:27

Edited by Tommygun

Yeah, population density can be a problem. A lot of people lives in Baltic area, there are cities, ports and tourist resorts everywhere. And what is not populated, is a national park. Nazis had a rocket testing facility in Peenemunde on Uznam island, but it's not like they care :P

Yeah, population density can be a problem. A lot of people lives in Baltic area, there are cities, ports and tourist resorts everywhere. And what is not populated, is a national park. Nazis had a rocket testing facility in Peenemunde on Uznam island, but it's not like they care :P

I thought Denmark wasn't so populated, well I guess I was wrong.

That doesn't particularly make sense, or are you talking about jerry-rigging a commercial GPS device onto a rocket?

That doesn't particularly make sense, or are you talking about jerry-rigging a commercial GPS device onto a rocket?

Yes, for a long time the US government insisted on degrading the accuracy of US GPS systems to have an error of a few hundred feet to prevent terrorists from turning small aircraft like a Cessna or other things into cruise missiles.

Edited by Tommygun

That's exactly what they're doing. I can't speak to the situation in Denmark, but in the US it's a matter of some difficulty to get an unlocked GPS receiver, involving federal agencies and Paperwork. I'm working on a cubesat project for an Air Force competition (so the part where you have to convince them that you have a legitimate purpose for an unlocked receiver was easy), and it still took several months to get our GPS module unlocked.

I can certainly see how, even if it were possible to convince the authorities to let them have an unlocked GPS, the time and effort wouldn't be worth it for low-altitude test launches with a significant risk of losing the payload.

Yes, for a long time the US government insisted on degrading the accuracy of US GPS systems to have an error of a few hundred feet to prevent terrorists from turning small aircraft like a Cessna or other things into cruse missiles.

That's actually very smart, NOT TODAY NORTH KOREA! By the way, the grammar nazi in me feels the need to correct the misspelling of *cruise.

That's exactly what they're doing. I can't speak to the situation in Denmark, but in the US it's a matter of some difficulty to get an unlocked GPS receiver, involving federal agencies and Paperwork. I'm working on a cubesat project for an Air Force competition (so the part where you have to convince them that you have a legitimate purpose for an unlocked receiver was easy), and it still took several months to get our GPS module unlocked.

I can certainly see how, even if it were possible to convince the authorities to let them have an unlocked GPS, the time and effort wouldn't be worth it for low-altitude test launches with a significant risk of losing the payload.

Why not just build one? Or do the laws prohibit such actions.

(I mean, selective availability has long been dead Tommygun; the operations / specifications of the GPS system is publicly available. And I seem to recall that even the encrypted military channels can be utilized without a proper key, to provide additional accuracy for altitude corrections.)

Civilian receivers are classified as a munition and export controlled unless they cease functioning over 18 km altitude and 515 m/s speed, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Restrictions_on_civilian_use

Why not make your own? Money, time, and effort, I imagine. I do wonder how hard it would be to find a made-in-China (or elsewhere) receiver that isn't subject to these restrictions...

Not hard at all. Manufacturing of these devices is not illegal. Only export from US is. So as long as all of the components are made in China, it's not a problem. And there are plenty of such units on the market.

That said, civilian band GPS is really not good enough for missile guidance without a decent INS to back it up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.