What's the best way to set up a Joystick for this game?

I just realized that my good ol' Sidewinder 2, which has served me well in the space sims of yesteryear, would be a wonderful thing to have working for this game. I looked around the web and saw that other people have reported successfully using this joystick in the game, so I went into the options and got things set up... or so I thought, anyway.

I'm having a problem where the joystick axes aren't neutral by default. Instead the instant I load up a ship my controls are all skewed in one direction along each axis, which means that everything starts spinning around uncontrollably right away. Am I doing something wrong? I tried playing around with the axis configuration in the options a bit, but I haven't had much luck so far.

Anyone have suggestions on how to best configure things here?

Well I did some more digging around, and apparently the problem has to do with a bug in the Unity engine. I don't know if this is something Squad can address, or if it has to be fixed by the devs of the Unity engine. For now I'll try some of the workarounds in these threads, as well as leave them as a reference to anyone else who ends up with the same problems:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/10978-Joystick-controls-are-screwy

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/67906-Gamepads-and-GetAxisRaw

Yeah it was a bit of a pain. But after following those leads I created a virtual mirror of my joystick using PPJoy and GlovePIE that acts as a middle-man between my physical flight stick and the game. Took me a while to pin down the PIE script and even longer to manually map things to my preference in settings.cfg (trying to map things in-game with this setup doesn't work), but I'm now flying my rockets and planes with unmatched precision!

I could prolly post the steps I used to pull it all off if anyone cares. Especially if anyone else also has a Sidewinder 2 that's misbehaving.

Edited by FenrirWolf

It is amazing that Unity is using the raw values from joysticks. I haven't heard of such a thing in donkey's years. It causes me problems with my setup.

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, Saitech Pro Fl;ight Combat Rudder Pedals and an GoFlight GF-LGT. I can set them up just fine, but because the joysticks IDs are determined by which order Windows detects them on startup the setup created in KSP may be referring to the wrong device :huh: I cannot use my preferred solution, TARGET, because that is a virtual DirectX joystick that Unity cannot recognise.

Here's hoping that PPJoy can give me some relief.

• 1 month later...
I could prolly post the steps I used to pull it all off if anyone cares. Especially if anyone else also has a Sidewinder 2 that's misbehaving.

Hello all, another sidewinder2 user here. I could really use some help Fenrir if you don't mind going through what you did. I have glovePIE 0.45, and ppjoy v0.84.6.000 running on win7 64bit. So far I have made confused attempts to paste MK3424's pie script:

PPJoy1.Analog0 = Joystick1.x

PPJoy1.Analog1 = Joystick1.y

PPJoy1.Analog2 = Joystick1.z

PPJoy1.Analog5 = Joystick1.RotZ

I've created an ini in PPjoy for a 4 axis 8button 1hat joystick, not really sure if that was necessary.

I don't know where to start with KSP settings.cfg, can you post yours with some steps please?

• 2 weeks later...

Further information for MS sidewinder 2 usage; in the 64bit linux edition the hat switch is not detected, and I couldn't throttle down completely BUT the joystick axis all work! It may be easier to tweak this than ppjoy etc., but ultimately I hope calibrated input gets patched.

• 2 years later...

June, 2016 - I still see problems with the Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 2 and 'neutral'.  When in neutral the roll and yaw are hard-left and pitch hard-down. I've noticed that if I install the Fly By Wire mod and I hover my mouse into any open panel of that mod, my neutral space is fixed!  I don't know if that helps figure out what is wrong with KSP, but this joystick is still perfect and I use it in other games without a problem.

Luckily, I have a multiple monitor setup and I can just scroll my mouse off the screen and get the same neutral position fix. However, you cannot access any of the UI :(

Edited by technicalfool
Not an edit. A message from a moderator. Yes I know it's a necro. It's also relevant. Please don't bury me under reports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.