hollow mothership challenge

The video above pretty much says it all. But, here is a list of must.

Must be able to refuel, have things dock with it, and transfer fuel. (Check the video)
Must hold at least 200 people, but I prefer 600.
Must have moving doors (air locks), maybe rooms, and so on.
Must be hollow. (Also must have something marking where things are. Like lines or writing.
The people must be able to get in their mission ships to and from the inside of the mother ship. If it's not possible, then maybe an air lock or maybe the mother ship opens up somewhere.
Must be able to hold a massive amount of landing ships, rovers, and so on. (I will send rovers to some places to check out the land. These rovers may or may not come back)
Must be able to move massive things. See the video for ring that I'm going to put around the system.
The ship must have an active communications department, cockpit, living area, engineering room, engine room, and so on.

Things I would like to have in it.

I would like to have escape pods in it for most of the people.
I would like to have it spinning at all times when everything is put on it. This should create 1 G in the ship. So ladders are a must at this point. (If the ship spins then we need to find a way to tether the people to the ship. That away they don't fly off to no where.)
I would like to have it have defense lasers.
I would like it if the inside had air in it.

I'm thinking the best way we can do this is by doing 1 area at a time. We can start with the cockpit. You obviously may use mods, but you must list them when you upload them on here.

UPDATE

Edited by crua9

This may be better in the rocket builders forum as a request.

Things like air locks and rooms aren't in the game, so would need a mod of some description creating, and from the description of the size of the mothership contents it would be a lag monster that would probably be unplayable. 600 crew with life pods is a massive undertaking on it's own, even before adding the rest of the ship and landers.

Also for challenges, you need to show some attempt at trying it yourself.. or failing that try this post in the space craft reqest forum.

The part count will be insane.

Maybe that is true at this time. But, it's possible the part count can be cut down a bit (not counting the ring around the system). I think/hope by the time the mother ship will be done, the game will be fixed enough to do this (64B).

However, it maybe possible if the right person was doing this. (No reason to not try)

Anyways, the ring might not be possible. But, that's not part of this challenge.

This may be better in the rocket builders forum as a request.

Things like air locks and rooms aren't in the game, so would need a mod of some description creating, and from the description of the size of the mothership contents it would be a lag monster that would probably be unplayable. 600 crew with life pods is a massive undertaking on it's own, even before adding the rest of the ship and landers.

Also for challenges, you need to show some attempt at trying it yourself.. or failing that try this post in the space craft reqest forum.

I am working on it myself too. I'm looking at new docking methods, because this would be to hard for any normal docking.

Anyways, you are right about the mod. But, 600 people shouldn't be that hard. Like if we can make 20+ per pod, then the numbers will dramatically go down. So at the end we can really have about 20+/- really in the mother ship itself at any giving time.

I made this challenge not because it was easy, but because we have to think about it. Most challenges are point blank easy. Make a car, plane, etc. This one is hard because it's a working mother ship, and it requires team work with people we never seen before. This one requires mods (maybe new), time, and testing. I am assuming this one can be done within a good 6 months to a year.

Anyways, I think I made an error when I said the first thing that should come out is the cockpit. I think I should've asked for everyone's help in planning this thing. That away we can get the best thing out there.

Edited by crua9

I'm gonna say show it can be done, or it's impossible on that scale without some amazing computer.

It might. But, I am sure there is a few ways we can do it with a normal computer. (I never said how big this thing had to be. I only said what it needs to do.)

Anyways, as I said I think this can get done within 6 months to a year. Keep in mind that's with a team of people on here. So there is no way I can show it can be done if I was to do it myself.

This isn't possible the way you've described it.

Artificial gravity is not currently possible in KSP, neither is defense lasers nor artificial atmospheres.

Artificial gravity and defense lasers are 100% possible. But, IDK about the artificial atmospheres.

Check out this video for the artificial gravity. As for the defense lasers, there is already a mod for that.

(There is a bunch of videos on this. In fact, I think I already have something that can take care of this. I just need to test it out to be sure)

I think this should be considered a request, maybe even put it in the add on requests. I'd suggest you do some research about what mods are available before asking for something not even remotely supported by vanilla.

I think that killed my entire game. I have to test it out later, but that or another mod took everything off my parts list.

It looks like it hasn't been updates in a while, I'm not sure how the asteroid pack implemented it but I remembered seeing it mentioned before they implemented it. Hopefully you didn't lose anything you can't get back!

Artificial gravity and defense lasers are 100% possible. But, IDK about the artificial atmospheres.

Check out this video for the artificial gravity. As for the defense lasers, there is already a mod for that.

(There is a bunch of videos on this. In fact, I think I already have something that can take care of this. I just need to test it out to be sure)

I didn't think anyone had ever gotten artificial gravity to work.

The defense lasers are only possible with the Sunbeam mod, not in Vanilla KSP.

I'm ending this challenge. This game is not mature enough (code and dev wise) for the mods. Basically this one would've required some good amount of mods, and the KSP team didn't set this game up where it's a 100% for all the mods to talk to one another. I'm not blaming the KSP team, but I am just saying the game is too new to do this one.

However, you can still try to do this if you want.

Also, backseat moderating is against the rules too.... And technically me telling you a rule is violating the same rule lol.

That's funny.

@Naten and which one will that be? It's still realistic. I'm just not doing it any more because the game deleted almost all my parts after I downloaded a mod. Giving that this would require some mods, I am going to wait until the game grows a bit before I try a hollow big ship again.

Like it would suck to almost have the entire thing done, then there goes your parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.