Quick question about selecting crew members

Guest Aaack

Guest Aaack

Hi guys, here's a quickie for you:

Is there a way to launch a capsule (the apollo one with 3 crew members) with just 1 kerbil?

Im flying a test mission and don't wanna kill my "good" ones :sticktongue:

Thank you in advance!

You have several options, none to simple.

1. EVA out the ones you don't want. Ladder system to ensure safe passage to the ground optional.

2. Add a part that only holds one kerbal before you add the 3 man pod. Eva across. Ladders recommended. Discard the one man pod (by decoupler or docking port) before launch.

3. Download a mod called crewmanifest. Remove any kerbals you don't want.

4. Wait for the next update, and its crew management feature.

Alternatively, use the F9 button, this restores the flight to before the moment of launch. That, or to the last point you pressed F5.

Edited by Tw1

Guest Aaack

Oh Awesome Tw1, I think I'll wait for the next release. right now if anything goes awry I just restart the mission and that somehow "resets" the kerbals, assigning to the capsule the same crew.

I think that's good enough for now, thank you!

Guest Aaack

Hey Tank!

Oh, that's a good idea too, I think next gen of shuttle carriers I'll make will be like that!

But... if I add kerbals inside the capsule... what will command it? the kerbals or the probe, also... it matters? <--not rhetorical I'm asking for real :)

But... if I add kerbals inside the capsule... what will command it? the kerbals or the probe, also... it matters? <--not rhetorical I'm asking for real :)

Depends. When you have multiple pods or cores, you can click control from here. But all this really does is orientate the navball to that particular pod or core. You can still choose to control from a manned pod that has no kerbals in it, it makes little difference. The main difference is kerbals can (magically) control craft that have no power.

Multiple cores pointing different ways can be useful for complex designs.

Guest Aaack

Interesting, for what I have in mind (make a ridiculously large station orbiting the mun with tons and tons of fuel, a gas station basically) it may be very convenient, I had wild rides with my current orbital gas station (around kerbin), that may be easier to handle from another point of the ship...

Thanks for the idea! I'm learning so much every day about this game, phew!

its too bad the kerbals couldnt be for example a geologist, or a flight engineer, or envirometalist specialsit, or any number of careers, and in choosing each kerbal for a spcific job giving him experience..making the ship easier to handle and such..after awhile you could give your experienced kerbals a command ( for example to land on the mun ) and a rocket and have them to do it, while sending back messages and such..just like the real thing...

perhaps someone with some computer expertise could design a module or plug in type application...

Guest Aaack
its too bad the kerbals couldnt be for example a geologist, or a flight engineer, or envirometalist specialsit...

Hey!

It's interesting but... Would that changes the game's nature completely?

Where would be the fun if you let the game play itself? Perhaps I didn't understand your premise...

its too bad the kerbals couldnt be for example a geologist, or a flight engineer, or envirometalist specialsit, or any number of careers, and in choosing each kerbal for a spcific job giving him experience..making the ship easier to handle and such..after awhile you could give your experienced kerbals a command ( for example to land on the mun ) and a rocket and have them to do it, while sending back messages and such..just like the real thing...

perhaps someone with some computer expertise could design a module or plug in type application...

This is indeed the way Squad are making Kerbal Management. Basically, [besides their starting stats] you train them in the field you want them to be. Some Kerbals will pick up on things quickly, while others will just not work out. Not 100% that the Kerbals can "control" any crafts you direct them to, but there have been Live Streams where Squad do talk about that aswell.

Hey!

It's interesting but... Would that changes the game's nature completely?

Where would be the fun if you let the game play itself? Perhaps I didn't understand your premise...

Indeed KSP is definately better to Control for yourself, but there are some people out there who prefer to use Mechjeb's Autopilot, mainly because when you have Space Stations and you are constantly sending ships up to keep your Refueler happy, it can end up being abit tedious. Having Kerbals that could do this for you can help give you more time for enjoyable things to do in the game rather than constant chores over and over.

Guest Aaack

Hi Emission!

I didn't think about the tediousness of a repetitive mission, I'm so new on the game I jump in delight every time a gauge in an instrument moves!

I guess it would be a good idea if the very first kind of missions (first landing in a planet, first recently, first rendez vous, etc) were mandatory to be human controlled just for the fun of the challenge and then if it suits you you could send specialized kerbals to do it after the first successful mission, it cold be masked as "training"

Idk, just a wish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.