Moho is a pig

Khrissetti

The satelite was an afterthought, to be honest (although I forgot that when I disconnected it, my RCS would no longer be balanced, making my lander sway madly when it came to land) the key task of the Cheyenne mission was to land safely on Moho's surface.

The next task is to land a kerbal there, plant a flag and get him home again. That might involve docking a ship together in orbit, I don't think I could build a much bigger launch vehicle and avoid lag.

My first mission to Moho resulted in a stranded Kerbal on Moho and two others in solar orbit. Underestimated the required Delta-V a bit. I'm launching a rescue mission as I speak.

Update: the rescue team now needs to be rescued too ... !

The best way I've found to go to Moho is to do a gravity assist around Eve. If you spend the 1.2 km/s to get there you can often aim the post-encounter orbit to get you to a PE near Moho. Then you just need to orbit a while until you get a good encounter.

Returning from Moho was my greatest achievement back in 0.17. Its actually not particularly difficult in terms of dv- I can do it with a roughly 4-500T craft, or under 200 parts if you use 3m parts.

The main problem is understanding enough about orbital mechanics to get an accurate transfer. If you have the patience to set up a maneuver node that directly intercepts Moho from Kerbin, you can get there without doing a plane change at all- which is nice. The same can be done on the return. But it takes about half an hour to do- mega effort. To be fair I've landed on almost all the planets 4 times now and I've only just perfected my transfers.

Hm Eve gravity assists are a good idea actually. Main problem is you'd have to match Moho's plane exactly after the assist

Not really, you just have to put your AN or DN on Moho's orbit, then wait for intercept there. I was able to transfer directly from Eve to Moho on my attempt at the optimal gravity assisted tour challenge. I got to Moho on day 75 of a new game using a total of about 6500 m/s from Kerbin's surface -- about 1900 m/s from orbit (and I could have been 500-700 m/s more efficient if I'd known what I was doing better.) Of course I would have needed another 5km/s or so to actually land...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.