Manned mission to Duna and back! (PIC HEAVY)

Specula

After many months of playing this game, goofing off and only putting satellites in orbit, I decided it was time to get serious. It was time to get two lucky victims (my legal representative reminds me I'm supposed to call them Kerbinauts...) Take then to Duna and then bring them back to Kerbin safely.

And so, brave sirs Rodgun Kermin and Joewell Kermin boarded the next flight to Duna, unsure if they would ever return.

So, here's the Wildcat IX Rocket they took:

M6QIBlR.jpg

Half way through the trans-orbital burn above Kerbin:

ULcUgoP.png

Careful maneuver node fishing:

jrmtWf5.png

There she blows!

raGZTOF.jpg

Aerobreaking the rest of the way in (Kerbworks were too cheap to stock extra fuel):

J3NxDDQ.jpg

'chutes deployed, a quick tap of the engine...:

wu59nPc.jpg

Touchdown!

e069cg5.jpg

First Kerbal on another world and he's happy about it!

A49uW2a.png

Obligatory "Wish you were here" postcard shot of Ike almost hidden in the glare of Kerbol:

L7ebWRU.png

Heading home:

fTtD8jI.jpg

Saying goodbye to Duna: (All the controls and the navball indicators after separating and flipping over are reversed! This will make getting home interesting...)

5lYM2Nv.jpg

6,200m Kerbin Periapse at 9,000m/s and speeding up? Prepare your rear ends, gentlemen. The ride's about to get real...

mrtdecG.png

A real sight for sore eyes!

4ZSGu8E.png

Extreme aerobreaking. From 11,000m/s to 200m/s in 45 seconds:

QXFumTw.png

Parachutes deployed:

IcAwRUg.jpg

Made it! Two and three quarter years round trip! Now, just have to wait for their friends to come and pick them up:

grENZug.png

Sorry for the long post and many pictures. I hope you enjoyed it all anyway! I've also included the Wildcat IX rocket in a dropbox file if anyone wants to play with it.

Find the craft file here

Edited by Specula

Nice mission! One thing I couldnt help notice is that you didnt use a single nuclear engine! A nuclear engine and about 800 units of fuel can get you anywhere in the solar system. Their efficiency is ridiculous! You really should have used one or 2 instead of all those areospikes!

Thanks for the comments guys. Odo, I've thought about using nuclear engines and for missions that don't involve landing, I do. But for missions where I have to land safely, they're a total nightmare, hence why I didn't use them here. I'm not creative enough to find simple and effective workarounds for using landing struts with LV-Ns and still use my own rocket designs.

Edited by Specula

Thanks for the comments guys. Odo, I've thought about using nuclear engines and for missions that don't involve landing, I do. But for missions where I have to land safely, they're a total nightmare, hence why I didn't use them here. I'm not creative enough to find simple and effective workarounds for using landing struts with LV-Ns and still use my own rocket designs.

Ive got my own original really simple lander with lv-ns that I pretty much use standard now. Its not too hard if you just put the engines up on the side of the craft using a radial attachment point.

They're not bad really, especially if you're trying to push something with a lot of mass. LVN's have limits for heavy/bulky loads. Aerospikes are the next best thing. Less fuel efficient. More powerful. It's a tradeoff.

Nice Work, My last trip to Duna ended with me running out of fuel on approach to Duna and forgetting to put chutes on. Needless to say, they died.

lol that sucks. I'm not afraid to admit that my parachute placement wasn't that crash hot the first attempt of this mission I made. They parachutes deployed and ripped off about 700 meters up. So yeah, they crashed and burned too.

And Umlüx... Genius idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.