Best video editor?

togfox

So I have fraps and I've got some nice ksp in-game video.

I've been using windows movie maker which has easy/mediocre editing features but has really terrible output options.

I'm looking for a video editor that has some nice output options (high res/high def) in friendly formats.

If is free, then great, if not, then it needs to be a reasonable price as I won't be using it a lot to justify a big purchase, but I'd have to demo it first.

Titles and effects are optional.

What do you guys use?

I tried Sony Vegas/Sony Movie Studio for a while. I think I recall it's under $100. It took a little getting used to, but it's actually pretty great, at least based on the time I used it for. Trial ran out of course. A lot of other people reccomend it too.

I've looked for a good freeware editor for ages. They were all utter garbage, almost completely unusable. There were a few that were semi-usable, but still very annoying to use and barely more capable than movie maker (when it still had the timeline). Finally I was reccomended one called lightworks which has a free version. It has an ugly and somewhat irritating interface but would seem to be quite capable and has a lot of good features. Only problem is that (despite having a 1080p monitor) my coputer refuses to let me go to 1080p and the main toolbar gets stuck in the middle of the screen sticking up through the top and it won't let me move it so I can't use all the features (It did go to the left ONCE, so that's how I know I was missing important features that were only found on the toolbar), including some fairly basic ones. If I could fix up the toolbar, then it seems like this would be the best program to use. It has, apparently, a very good timeline system, can control output settings, has some effects and all those sort of things. Look into it at least.

I'm planning on buying Sony movie studio when I get a new computer, which will be later in the year most likely.

Windows movie maker is good for simple stuff, such as comments, but it isn't quite advanced.

WMM is a glorified slideshow maker. The worst thing, though, is that it used to be a DECENT editor (albeit limited to common consumer formats of the day), and then they simplified it and simultaneously made it less intuitive. A video editor without a timeline? What the hell is that?

I installed lightworks just nowbut it didnt accept my raw fraps like WMM does. :(. That said, if i can understand which resolution lightworks accepts then i can set fraps to use that mode.

WMM has some nice effects, but it doesn't have a lot of said effects. I tried once an AVS program, but frankly, its interface was terrible. I haven't "forayed" much into the world of video editing, but from what I've seen, most people use Vegas.

Wait, what do you mean they removed the timeline feature?

WMM has some nice effects, but it doesn't have a lot of said effects. I tried once an AVS program, but frankly, its interface was terrible. I haven't "forayed" much into the world of video editing, but from what I've seen, most people use Vegas.

Wait, what do you mean they removed the timeline feature?

All they've got is a sort of demi-timeline, where a clip has it's length visualisation made by rounding (not accurate length). You can't pull back the beginnings and ends of the clip, you have to go through and cut with the edit mode. I have no clue why they have it like this. Older versions had a proper timeline and a slideshow mode. Both were better at their respective jobs interfacewise then the current way it's done.

The new Movie Maker is called 'live' or something but the Movie Windows Movie Maker 2.6 still runs fine if you can find/source it. You just need to search for it.

It was called live, they've removed that part now. I know about 2.8, and it's the one I'd rather use, only problem is it has very limited output options, is not of amazing quality, and doesn't accept a lot of filetypes, including the video from my camera.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.