Orbital rendezvous and docking help?

Hi! So I got this game a few months back and so far Jebediah got to the mun but destroyed his engine so I rescued him, and the launch of the Nirvana 1 Satellite over Kerbin was a massive success.

Now I want kick things up a Notch. Orbital rendezvous and docking. But I've only watched vids and I can't find any good ones...

So. What I need help with.

1. When do I launch?
  2. How do I rendezvous?
  3. How I dock?
  4. Is it the same on, say, the Mun, Minmus, Duna etc?

Thanks,

Rex3921 :).

P.S: I've built my ship and do I need to show photos to help you guys???

Edited by Rex3921

Have you check this: Drawing board

Scott Manley's youtube tutorials helped me a lot for docking and orbital RV.

Mun an Minmus can be done using Hohmann transfer... thanks mechjeb :P For other planet you should check phasing angle... check this out: http://ksp.olex.biz/

Hopes this help!

Thx but I don't have MechJeb. And I can't orbit at an angle like Scott did... Cheers anyhow :P

And I can't orbit at an angle like Scott did...

You mean the orbital inclination?

Concepts remains the same. What he explain will work on a 0° inclination (i.e. tilting rocket toward east).

For orbital RV, wait the target is over KSC and launch. After just change the orbit Lower OR higher to catch the target (like Scott explain).

Good luck!

1. When do I launch?
  2. How do I rendezvous?
  3. How I dock?
  4. Is it the same on, say, the Mun, Minmus, Duna etc?

1 - As JaySmoka said, Usually when the Target is over KSC. I generally do it a little bit earlier, but thats just my preference.

2 - Set your Target as, the Target =P then get into a Orbit. Put either your AP [or PE] equal to your Targets, and your PE [or AP] about 10km below your Targets Orbit [start small when first learning, do not go larger or you'll miss windows].

* After each Orbit you both do, you'll see that your Close Encounter Marker on the Map will get smaller and smaller.

* When the Encounter is around 1 - 2km [lower if possible] then equal out your PE with your Targets Orbit, so you're both Orbiting the same.

* Once your Orbits are on the same paths, the easiest way to do it is to burn [slowly] towards your Target. You want to get your Prograde Marker on the Target Marker [Watch your Speed though] At close distances, you do not want to come crashing into it!] Travel at about 10 - 30m/s depending on your distance.

* When you get within 50 - 100m Burn Retrograde to take your speed down even more. 5 - 10m/s.

* Feel free to slow down whenever you start feeling a "oh sht" moment come along though =]

3 - Once you have reached your Target at about 5 - 10m, you want to make sure your not traveling away or towards the Target. Once you have stabilized that, Target which ever Docking Port you wish to Dock to.

* You want to use RCS Thrusters to align yourself with the Port you are heading for.

* Once you are aligned, then slowly start thrusting [with RCS] towards it. I would recommend no more than 2 - 3m/s until you get more comfortable.

* When you are almost connected, take your Speed down to 1m/s.

* Once you connect, it's best to not have ASAS on, but there is a trick if it wobbles alot to turn it on when they are lined up, this will minimize the wobble and Dock them up.

4 - All RV is the same no matter where you are [Orbiting that is]

Just Remember, Quick Save is your Friend! Don't be afraid to hit that F5 key often. That way if you Burn the wrong way, or make what ever mistake, you can just Reload and learn from your Mistakes.

I hope that helped abit more. Let us know if your still having troubles. It's late here but tomorrow I might get some time to get some Screenshots. Pictures always tell a better story than my babbling!

Just put together this quick little Tutorial for Rendezvous and Docking. I tried to make it as simple as possible, [first Tutorial so apologies if somethings might not be clear] but anyway, I hope it help. I used Information Boxes from MechJeb so it's easier to follow whats occurring rather than Maneuver Nodes and Mousing over Intercept Nodes, but all the information is the same.

Just put together this quick little Tutorial for Rendezvous and Docking. I tried to make it as simple as possible, [first Tutorial so apologies if somethings might not be clear] but anyway, I hope it help. I used Information Boxes from MechJeb so it's easier to follow whats occurring rather than Maneuver Nodes and Mousing over Intercept Nodes, but all the information is the same.

Thx a ton! managed to do it! RV'd and docked! Soz forgot pics :( But still thanks to you all especially EmissionGeneration for the vid!

Rex3921 :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.