Flies straight, then asas puts it immediately towards ground

I've been playing with planes the past few days and finally got the hang of it. I've got a few planes that fly nicely, and the most recent (a hybrid jet-ion) flies very straight as well, but whenever I turn on ASAS, it sends it quickly into a nosedive. At first I figured it was just unbalanced (even though I could fly it) - but now, when I let the controls go, it flies perfectly. If I turn on ASAS, still straight into the ground.

What could cause this? Do I have control surfaces on upside down or something. Tried everything I can think of :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. Sorry, no pics available.

Edit: I took some advice and was able to get things flying. As someone mentioned, I was using an avionics package which might have been the trouble. Also tried various engine types, eventually getting it working. I'm pretty sure my main issue to start with was the avionic package - it was as if the sas was 'pushing' it down, and that makes sense if it's some orientation issue on the part or placement.

Edited by Krisism

Cockpit or probe core for controls? If, somehow, one of those is on backwards, the controls get all wonky.

Or if you're using a "puller" design, with the engines up front?

Um - I'm not good with planes, better with rockets. Not sure of other possible causes.

Cockpit or probe core for controls? If, somehow, one of those is on backwards, the controls get all wonky.

Or if you're using a "puller" design, with the engines up front?

Um - I'm not good with planes, better with rockets. Not sure of other possible causes.

Double checked, the cockpit is upright, as is the asas unit (if that matters). There are two sabre jet engines on the large wings, about half way down the wings and around the center of mass for the whole plane. Then there are 4 ion engines and 1 hybrid engine in the back (70kN thrust).

Flies like a dream and like 12k delta V, I just don't want to hold the controls for ages while gaining altitude for orbit. (also runs completely in the dark at full thrust!)

Edited by Krisism

Flies like a dream and like 12k delta V, I just don't want to hold the controls for ages while gaining altitude for orbit.

If it flies very stable with no inputs you can just use the trim (alt+direction key) to hold the nose up. If it doesn't fly very stable then you can understand why the ASAS is overcorrecting and flipping it.

Also, make sure you're using an actual heading-control ASAS unit and not an "avionics package" that doesn't actively seek your assigned heading.

Sabre engines, huh? Maybe ASAS is reacting with it weirdly? You say the craft is stable, but maybe the moment the aggressive ASAS kicks in, it might cause the plane to flip. Probably not, though.

Players in the How-To sections never cease to perplex me with seemingly unanswerable problems. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.