Booster Issues

Hi all.....me again =P

I have been working on a RATO system for carrier jets. The basic idea is a seperatron with built in decoupler that uses the KAS grab/attach modules so that jets can be refit when they land.

I started testing with a copy of Squads actual sepmotor1. Initialy it went very well, I even managed to get a K-17 (included craft with Firespitter mod) off the runway in almost a short enough distance for it to be carrier certified (for me a plane must be able to liftoff in 130meters to be carrier ready). With testing wraped up I decided to move onto production....and thats when the trouble began.

Note: You will notice a few NovaPunch textures in my Unity assest. I assure everyone I have no intention of using those on any of my final products. They are there for speed of testing....I am horrible at texturing, so I use the NP ones to slap textures on tests fast.

Issue 1: Facing

No matter what direction/axis my model is facing in Unity it shows up in KSP with the booster tip facing top of SPH.

My latest attempt...

YYiqMBU.png

Here it is in SHP...makes no sense to me at all, if +Y in Unity is 'up' then how is this happening.

tE1MB1G.png

Issue 2: Clipping

I have tried a few diffrent things so far. Using diffrent colliders, possitioning them diffrently. Always the same end result, my part sinks into whatever i attach it to.

In this pic there is mesh collider for the booster, and box cillider for the mounting bracket (that you can even see in this pic). I was going for the same effect as the Seperatron as far as attachment goes.

q4iHwBP.png

Issue 3: Thrust

I can not figure out how to rotate the axis of a gameobject Im trying to use as a thrust transform. So far I have been rotating the model so it lines up to the transform how it needs to, but I know there has to be another way.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and as always the continued tollerance of my noobness. =)

In unity make sure you are viewing the local coordinates and not global. This will allow you to see the orientation of the thrust transform as well as the model.

You may need to change the rotation in your modeling program (x -90), but you will need to view the local coordinates first.

As far as your clipping issue, it looks like a possible cfg problem. Can you post you cfg, specifically the node definitions and attachment rules?

Edited by Yarbrough08

hehehe OOPS, I was looking at global when i was fiddling with the thrust transform, so thats all fixed up, thank you sir!

Here is the config, sorry not sure how to put it into a lil box:

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = RATO18.mu

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_exhaustFlame_yellow = 0.0, -3.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

fx_exhaustSparks_yellow = 0.0, -3.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

fx_smokeTrail_medium = 0.0, -4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

sound_vent_large = decouple

sound_vent_medium = engage

sound_rocket_hard = running

sound_vent_soft = disengage

sound_explosion_low = flameout

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 600

category = Propulsion

subcategory = 0

title = KhaosCorp RATO-18

manufacturer = KhaosCorp-PMC Division

description = The Rocket Assisted Take-Off system was designed to help large planes launch from carrier decks.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.5

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 1

crashTolerance = 8

maxTemp = 3200

breakingForce = 200

breakingTorque = 200

fuelCrossFeed = True

stageOffset = 1

childStageOffset = 1

stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler

anchorName = Anchor

ejectionForce = 250

explosiveNodeID = srf

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleEngines

thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform

throttleLocked = True

exhaustDamage = False

ignitionThreshold = 0.1

minThrust = 0

maxThrust = 18

heatProduction = 550

useEngineResponseTime = True

engineAccelerationSpeed = 10.0

allowShutdown = False

fxOffset = 0, 0, 0

PROPELLANT

{

name = SolidFuel

ratio = 1.0

DrawGauge = True

}

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 120

key = 1 120

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = SolidFuel

amount = 250

maxAmount = 250

}

}

Im still mostly clueless about config finer points, I got all this from looking at various other parts configs.

Ok, so your problem here is with: node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

Oh boy...feelin kinda stupid now =)

At one point there was a '0.002' in there, not sure how it got to be all zeros.

Thanks for the help bud, think I got it all squared away now.

As for #1, are you trying to change the orientation by rotating the object that has the part tools attached in unity? If that is the case then it won't work as that rotation doesn't seem to be exported by the part tools, you either need to rotate a child object (e.g. the RATO18 object in this example) or re-export the model from your modelling program (make sure to freeze/reset transforms if applicable).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.