Space shuttle?

I built a Space Shuttle some time ago...It works, but you prob. wouldn't be able to fly it, it's a pain (MechJeb WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF SHUTTLE AND CREW) ;)

The NASA Shuttle concept is insanely complicated compared to a more conventional rocket, making it hard to be built in KSP, so that it actually works. The apparent reasons are the lack of symmetry, which will essentially change a lot as well during ascent. The thrust will have to be applied in a way that it will align with the center of mass during the whole ascend. This is hard because of events like gravity turn, booster separation, etc...

I also used KW Rocketry (for tanks, but mainly the SRBs, because there are no stock ones big enough :) and the design called for MOAR BOOSTERS!!!) The shuttle's main engines are KW Rocketry as well.

Overall, the SSMEs create 1050kN of thrust, the SRBs generating 1100 kN each.

Orbital maneuvering is also very limited because of limited onboard fuel and again, the symmetry.

I'll find you some pics, if you want it, you can just reply here and I'll go and find it (was created in 0.19) You'll have to get KW Rocketry tho...

It's very hard to build in KSP without at least the subassembly mod, not because of the parts used but because of the symmetry types available in the construction buildings. Ideally you want the shuttle to be built as an aircraft using aircraft symmetry rules - so you build it in the aircraft hanger, but you need to attach it to the big orange tank and the boosters in the rocket assembly building and you need to launch it vertically not on the runway.

To get that combination of building techniques available requires the subassembly mod since without it you can't get BOTH airplane-style symmetry AND a vertical rocket take-off in the same vehicle. The only way to build it without the mod is to be 100% perfect in your placement of the wings because you'll have to put them on manually without symmetry help. (if you use symmetry in the rocket assembly building to build your wings, it will end up putting one wing upside down, and be only able to give you a dihedral angle of zero.)

It's very hard to build in KSP without at least the subassembly mod, not because of the parts used but because of the symmetry types available in the construction buildings. Ideally you want the shuttle to be built as an aircraft using aircraft symmetry rules - so you build it in the aircraft hanger, but you need to attach it to the big orange tank and the boosters in the rocket assembly building and you need to launch it vertically not on the runway.

To get that combination of building techniques available requires the subassembly mod since without it you can't get BOTH airplane-style symmetry AND a vertical rocket take-off in the same vehicle. The only way to build it without the mod is to be 100% perfect in your placement of the wings because you'll have to put them on manually without symmetry help. (if you use symmetry in the rocket assembly building to build your wings, it will end up putting one wing upside down, and be only able to give you a dihedral angle of zero.)

My space shuttle was constructed all in the SPH. It was moved to the VAB for launching. You want the aircraft symmetry for the entire build.

Yes, I agree with Kosmo-not... VAB Symmetry is completely pointless, it won't help at all. Below are some pics of my shuttle (uses KW Rocketry). Sadly it is useless as a reliable launch vehicle, because it is pretty much unable to manoeuvre in orbit... Close to impossible to fly anyways :(

On the Pad:

pbB640n.png

After Booster Separation (couldn't take a screenshot during booster ascend, because it is so hard to control :D):

6SqBPrz.jpg

In upper atmosphere:

sE7sgSd.jpg

In Space!!!:

HJ2HylM.png

And here a handy feature if you (like me...) see your Kerbals as intelligent life forms and not test dummies: The Launch, or landing escape system :P The shuttle came out of control during reentry, and this was the only option for the crew:

nTihApj.jpg

So as I said, it's quite useless for actual missions, so i kinda retired it.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I was wondering would it be possible for you to do a tutorial on how to make that shuttle, it is very awesome!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.