Eve in career mode

korda

I was wondering what will be Eve status after career mode release, since while getting there is very easy (just put a parachute or two), getting back from there... Well it is issue. Mostly because of part count... I remember reading somewhere around that the lightest lander weighted something around 70 tones, and it was made to land on one of the highest points to lower delta V required.

My lander was like 150 tons and had a tons of parts. Next I had to built something capable of pushing it to Eve and I had to refuel it in orbit, and refuel lander too and then when I was like few hundreds meters from docking them while fighting with aligning them while my computer was screaming for mercy I decided that it is not worth all the effort (and if something would turn out to be working wrong I would probably kill someone)...

I really hope devs aren't planning missions including getting back from Eve. Well, maybe one mission - and it would be like final boss of the game...

I see career mode as more like Sim City, or Transport Tycoon than set missions. With the high risk and effort of getting to Eve, there'd better be a good reward for doing it. And a big penalty for leaving kerbs out in places, without habitats.

A good way to do career mode would be like in Prison Architect currently, with grants that give you a budget, a set of objectives, and a bonus upon completion, but otherwise leave you to do what you want. It keeps the sandbox-y feel of the game, but provides a little more structure.

I'm not all that concerned. After all, you can just prototype vehicles all you want in a sandbox game, make your mistakes there, and transfer the craft file(s) over to career once you're happy with it. That's essentially how I build farms and complicated redstone stuff in Minecraft. A bit "cheaty" to some, I'm sure, but I'll just call it a simulation that's used in lieu of a team of skilled engineers telling me everything I did wrong before physics gets the chance.

I'm not all that concerned. After all, you can just prototype vehicles all you want in a sandbox game, make your mistakes there, and transfer the craft file(s) over to career once you're happy with it. That's essentially how I build farms and complicated redstone stuff in Minecraft. A bit "cheaty" to some, I'm sure, but I'll just call it a simulation that's used in lieu of a team of skilled engineers telling me everything I did wrong before physics gets the chance.

I do the same in MC :P

Problem I see here is not that it's not possible but it is very hard, even in sandbox mode. And my point is, if it will be necessary to land there and physics engine will be still so much ineffective (I know, I know - "it's not Squad fault") then we have an issue. Because you will be able to play game in normal way and then BAAM! No way to land and get back from Eve without heavy controls lag and very low FPS.

Also I don't want to start thread about how career should look. I assume here that there will be set targets, no need to argue about it here because even if this would be optional it's still not acceptable that you need real power horse for one important thing in game's content while rest of the game runs smoothly. Hopefully, they will optimize more before release or make Eve gravity bit smaller.

I've seen Eve done with a reasonable amount of parts ,so it's not impossible. It would still be expensive though, which I think will be the main issue in career mode.

And my point is, if it will be necessary to land there and physics engine will be still so much ineffective (I know, I know - "it's not Squad fault") then we have an issue. Because you will be able to play game in normal way and then BAAM! No way to land and get back from Eve without heavy controls lag and very low FPS.

Also I don't want to start thread about how career should look. I assume here that there will be set targets, no need to argue about it here because even if this would be optional it's still not acceptable that you need real power horse for one important thing in game's content while rest of the game runs smoothly. Hopefully, they will optimize more before release or make Eve gravity bit smaller.

It is perfectly acceptable, what are you on about? You don't get to decide what should and shouldn't be in the game.

Besides, the game is nowhere near finished yet, and only version 1.0 matters for balance. Who knows if the part count required for Eve will be anywhere near as high, or cause anywhere near as much lag in the final product?

It is perfectly acceptable, what are you on about? You don't get to decide what should and shouldn't be in the game.

Besides, the game is nowhere near finished yet, and only version 1.0 matters for balance. Who knows if the part count required for Eve will be anywhere near as high, or cause anywhere near as much lag in the final product?

No it's not acceptable and it should be considered serious issue, if they will put some minimal system requirements and then it turns out that there is a mission that doubles them then what?. Also I already stated that I hope that it will be fixed in some way before release, but you can't say 'hey, it will be probably fixed in 1.0 so no worries' for every issue. Do you think they will just sit for 2 days and fix all issues just before release? I think they only leave some issues because those issues won't matter in future (because, for example, buggy mechanic will be replaced anyway, so no need to fix it).

A good way to do career mode would be like in Prison Architect currently, with grants that give you a budget, a set of objectives, and a bonus upon completion, but otherwise leave you to do what you want. It keeps the sandbox-y feel of the game, but provides a little more structure.

I imagine career mode will probably give you a monthly budget, as well as a list of possible assignments of varying degrees of difficulty. Obviously the easier ones will give less money but alternatively will require less advanced craft to complete.

So yeah, something like the grant system. "Land an autonomous rover on Duna: 11 billion Kerbal bucks. 7 on initiating, 4 on completion." you'd have to throw together a rocket with that 7 billion or risk dipping into your bank for a possible profit loss.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.