Are you interested in an intense design challange?

aftershockzap

Warning, long post so before I begin, I will start with explaining why this post is here!

First off, I.R.L. free time for myself is something I get maybe a few times a week without going into personal details so because my idea is a very large project, I thought I would just ask the community if your interested before putting forth the time!

Second, in relation the lack of free time from the above, I am writing this while waiting for an appointment on my tablet which has no spell checker. I have the spelling of maybe a feeble child so, please forgive me.

I have an idea for a new design challenge that will use an extremely detailed point system determine the winning designs (More on why this is different later) of launch vehicles with the emphisis of multipurpose useage and a very different cargo area specification. The rules would be simple, its the scoring that presents the challanege!

The rules:

The launch vehicle must deliver the cargo to a stable circular orbit around kerbin of between 450,000 and 455,000 feet.

The cargo must not be used nor damaged in ANY WAY.

...End...

What about damage to the launch vehicle? Umm... That was ment to happen!

Thats right, the point of the challange is just to deliver cargo, anything goes as long as the cargo is in an orbit, and untouched!

Here is the twist. The points!

This is what I want to know if you would like me to spend time developing:

**warning this idea is undevloped and in depth, which is why i'm asking if there is interest BEFORE balancing the following rambalings**

The point system would boil down into two factors. Multiplyers and raw score. The "Raw Score" would be some computation of Cost of ship(Taking into account any parts SAFELY returned!) vs. payload mass.

The multiplyers were where the design part of the challange would come in. I would attempt to give certian features a point system, that would be multiplied by the raw score to determine winners. A very small part of what I had in mind was this:

+1 for each different sized docking port on launch vehicle

+1 for each radious size of cargo bay (I.E. 1 large fuel tank = +.5(Yeah, its supposted to bee a fraction =D), 2 tanks radious=1, so on)

+1 for length of cargo bay

The multiplication is what makes the design part so fun, thats the multipurpose part. Deliver a massivly wide thin payload, stupidly long payload, whatever. The point system is what would take into account all the smaller design details and allocate a score. So you delivered a smaller mass payload, but your cargo bay had space for 3 large stations, or 8 smaller sized moduels, or 25 probes. and thus your multipler was huge because your vehicle was that multipurpose!

And lastely keep it fun, and kerbal.

Once you launch 1 PAYLOAD into space. Thats it. Your rocket design is flawless and cannot be disputed. Your rocket works and your score payload proves it, so if the buyer blows up? "Pilot error." Runs out of fuel? "Should have bought the extended model." But the rocket can't deliver my payload!? "Sounds like a case of didn't buy insurance"

So thats it, I know its very vauge at the moment but thats because I would really have to sit down and crunch numbers to balance all the ideas and I just reeally don't want to do it if this challange is boring to others so yeah, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.