[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

This is really lovely. I'd like it more if the tank colours matched colour-coding (white for O2, grey for CO2, etc), but this is great. Would you be willing to supply a photoshop that has things in layers along with the models and tgas?

Done. Hydrogen RAL 3000 and Oxygen is RAL 9010 as per CEN EN 1089-3. Also added a bump map and cleaner connexions between the pipes and tanks.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by eggrobin

I also feel this might need some more details... regex's had some nice 'connection points' maybe something like that could be added back in?

Added some small details (ports, labels, etc) to the inline modules. Same download link.

Hi, i love this mod and i am using the latest version compatible with 0.23 and i started to use it after i started my campaign mod, not before. But to get to the point I can't get it to work,i tried using it on a different save and it worked then but currently i can't get it to work on my campaign save.

where did those spherical tanks and other 'fancy' parts come from??? Where am I missing those??????

They are done members of the community. Look back through the posts, you should find a link to them. Personally as nice as those models are, I like to think Kerbals would put some covers on things.

Hi, i love this mod and i am using the latest version compatible with 0.23 and i started to use it after i started my campaign mod, not before. But to get to the point I can't get it to work,i tried using it on a different save and it worked then but currently i can't get it to work on my campaign save.

I need more information:

• How is it not working? What do you see?
  • Did you launch the rocket or plane? It does not do anything while sitting on the launch pad so that you can time warp to your launch window without worrying about the crew.
  • Are there any errors in the debug window? Can you upload a copy of your log somewhere that I can see it? Like dropbox or pastebin?
  • What other mods do you have?
  • Which OS are you using: Windows/Mac/Linux?
  • Can you post a screenshot somewhere? Like imgur or photobucket?

Cross-posting this from the realism overhaul thread.

I made models for an electrolyser and a fuel cell (technically a 12-cell stack).

They are available at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4y-shYXMH9BcEhsUWNyLXpXZEU&usp=sharing.

Electrolyser (from the Elektron diagrams, ignoring safety features such as a blast-proof housing and a nitrogen pressure hull).

http://imgur.com/a/0ost5

Fuel cell (from tweaking the previous model and looking at the Apollo Operations Handbook). It's shown packed inside a service module with RCS tanks, O2 tanks, with MechJeb providing some awkward lighting.

http://imgur.com/a/etto1

Caveat: I do not use the same colour-coding as regex for O2, H2 and H2O. I sort of followed ISO 14726 for the pipes (http://www.maritimeprogress.com/downloads/M2-Pipe-Identification-Tape-to-ISO14726.pdf) and although this is probably bad practice, I used the same colour-coding for the tanks. It follows for instance that the O2 tanks in the electrolyser and fuel cell are gray-blue-gray (this happens to match the tanks in the Mk1 pod and on the launchpad), while the regex O2 tanks are yellow. Water is okay, it's blue.

Regarding licensing,

http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-sa/4.0/88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Thanks for these parts. I have downloaded but there were only .mu's .tga's and no .cfg's ????? Where can i see how to put these together, where do they go and if there are part(s) missing,where can I find them. Many thanks for these great additions....

Thanks for these parts. I have downloaded but there were only .mu's .tga's and no .cfg's ????? Where can i see how to put these together, where do they go and if there are part(s) missing,where can I find them. Many thanks for these great additions....

The .mu and .tga's are the replacement models. The part config stays the same. So all you need to do is replace the tga and mu's from the part you're trying to reskin.

Say I try to reskin the converter: I go to the converter part in TAC, I delete all the .tga and .mu files. Then I download the replacement files and put them back in the converter folder to replace the old ones.

Daymnnnnn , those models are like Night and Day , compared to the old ones next to them ! Good job !

Thanks, this is my first attempt at modeling/texturing, so there is a lot of room for improvement. :)

The .mu and .tga's are the replacement models. The part config stays the same. So all you need to do is replace the tga and mu's from the part you're trying to reskin.

Say I try to reskin the converter: I go to the converter part in TAC, I delete all the .tga and .mu files. Then I download the replacement files and put them back in the converter folder to replace the old ones.

You will need to do some cfg editing in order for the parts to reference the right model though. Moreover, there is no fuel cell in the current version of TAC. Finally, there is no Hydrogen resource in TAC.

I just added my cfgs for the Fuel Cell and Electrolyser, as well as a modified TacResources.cfg that includes Hydrogen, in a ThunderAerospace folder that you can just paste in your GameData install. There are no H2 tanks at the moment though, so you will probably want to make one yourself (by cfg editing an existing TAC tank or something similar).

The cfgs being derivatives of Taranis's work, they are CC-BY-NC-SA. The models and textures remain CC-BY-SA.

Bear in mind that my Electrolyser is far less powerful than Taranis's Water Splitter (which violates the conservation of energy, see this bug). It is also a 1.25m part, and it consume 1 Water per day, producing 3.7215675 Oxygen per day.

The Bacon cell produces 3 Water per day (from 3.7215675 Oxygen and 7.443135 Hydrogen), and produces 624 W (0.624 ElectricCharge/s).

The sources for these numbers can be found on page 33 of this thread.

They are done members of the community. Look back through the posts, you should find a link to them. Personally as nice as those models are, I like to think Kerbals would put some covers on things.

Might as well give the link again: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4y-shYXMH9BcEhsUWNyLXpXZEU&usp=drive_web

The problem of the covers was discussed on the Realism Overhaul thread. It certainly looks awkward if you launch with them exposed; I typically hide them under fairings during the ascent.

Also, if at all possible, the ability to have your icons be in the toolbar would be great. It really helps with screens getting crowded with more 'good stuff' all of the time. Great mod, all of your mods are great. Many thanks...

Just want to add that I would also very much appreciate this <3

I completed some more updating of my textures. I think they're pretty much 'done' at this point. They were a bit too "clean" before and didn't really fit in to the stock Kerbal style. So I weathered them a bit, added some scratches, dirt, and minor distressing. I think they blend pretty well with the stock Kerbal look now. I also put a few surface details on the Hex Cans; panels, etc. The download link is the same, so there's no need to update the link from the first post:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22466/TAC_Hex_and_Converter_Textures.zip

Any comment regarding the multi-colour 'life support' containers?

I took a long, hard look at these. I didn't want to use brown since that's the color of Waste Water. I tried purple, but it was distracting in the way it jumped out from everything else. Finally, I tried white. I think it works really well. You can still tell storage apart from recycler by the color of the main stripe. Then white is for "Life Support" and the other colors are for the individual resources.

Note to the mod author:

Taranis, I did notice something. I think you may have a minor issue with your surface normals on the models for the inline containers and recyclers. Notice in the screenshot below how the shading is "flat" across the surface of the Hex Cans, but each of the inline modules is lighter on top and then darker on the bottom? That's likely a result of the surface normals not being oriented correctly. The geometry is flat, but the normals are indicating a curved or beveled surface.

LFkWwlz.jpg

Done. Hydrogen RAL 3000 and Oxygen is RAL 9010 as per CEN EN 1089-3. Also added a bump map and cleaner connexions between the pipes and tanks.

Beautiful. I'll definitely be using this with TACLS and BioMass

Note to the mod author:

Taranis, I did notice something. I think you may have a minor issue with your surface normals on the models for the inline containers and recyclers. Notice in the screenshot below how the shading is "flat" across the surface of the Hex Cans, but each of the inline modules is lighter on top and then darker on the bottom? That's likely a result of the surface normals not being oriented correctly. The geometry is flat, but the normals are indicating a curved or beveled surface.

I've had this problem myself, and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. The problem is that ksp uses smooth shading to make curved surfaces look ...you know... smooth without using tons of vertices. This effect is also applied to the sharp edges which causes the light to dark gradient on the side. To fix it you can split the mesh along the sharp edges into 3 (top, side and bottom). I've done this in blender using the .mu importer exporter addon.

xfIoYmn.jpg

Here is a fixed version of the part model:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1286469/TacContainer.mu

I've had this problem myself, and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. The problem is that ksp uses smooth shading to make curved surfaces look ...you know... smooth without using tons of vertices. This effect is also applied to the sharp edges which causes the light to dark gradient on the side. To fix it you can split the mesh along the sharp edges into 3 (top, side and bottom). I've done this in blender using the .mu importer exporter addon.

That did it! Good show!

hmm... for some reason jfjojny5 the convertors are not loading there textures... just stark white staring back at me.

Hmmm. I don't know. I just overwrote all the textures from my hosted ZIP and the .MU file from Ninenium and it works fine. Try restarting maybe? And of course for the Air Filter and Water Splitter you need to use the new CFGs in my ZIP.

3hZeWln.jpg

EDIT: 100th post! Woot!

Edited by jfjohnny5

Grabbed Eggrobin's parts, but on loading for me it hangs at ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportRecyclers/Recycler_WaterSplitter/TacWaterSplitter. Anyone seen this/found a solution? If I remove the Recycler_Watersplitter.cfg the game loads as normal.

Grabbed Eggrobin's parts, but on loading for me it hangs at ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportRecyclers/Recycler_WaterSplitter/TacWaterSplitter. Anyone seen this/found a solution? If I remove the Recycler_Watersplitter.cfg the game loads as normal.

I can replicate that, investigating...

Edit:

Found and fixed. I had grabbed an old version of the cfg from my 0.22 install instead of the new version from the 0.23 install. For some reason I had picked the right cfg for the fuel cell.

Edited by eggrobin

hmm... for some reason jfjojny5 the convertors are not loading there textures... just stark white staring back at me.

Did you remove the Texture.tga file from TacLifeSupportRecyclers? If so, try placing it back or copy over the Texture.png file from the containers.

I know from messing about with .mu files earlier today:P that the model has "Texture" as default texture. I guess removing it breaks the loading of the textures altogether, even if they they are overwritten by the .cfg files(?)

On a different note: I updated the parts I posted (on page 44) for 0.23. So they won't blow up in your face when you look at them...

Is it an error or is a single large tank supposed to provide 850 days worth of supplies?

Yah I was finding the storage amounts large enough that the mod's parts almost made the entire mod pointless, lol :P Good news is you can just change all the settings in-game (you have to restart after). I basically just doubled the consumption rates on food, water, electricity, and oxygen and I've found it to be good enough for me. A lot of it is really personal preference though. <_<

Do a mission to Jool or Eeloo. You'll be very thankful for the large canisters of supplies then. Especially the food ones. With current efficiencies on the recycler parts, you might get by with a medium canister of H2O and O2 for Jool and Eeloo missions.

This assumes a 3 kerbal crew. If you only use single kerbal crews for all your missions, then yeah, the large canisters are probably way overkill unless you are building a base or station far out in the system.

So yes, in my opinion, the large tanks are very useful and not overpowered.