Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

I asked this before but I didn't get an answer so I'm going to ask it again.

Would you consider making a miscellaneous parts pack after this is finished?

No, sorry I don't have that kind of time.

My main goal is parts aimed at the KSO. Many of those parts will more than likely be generic just small enough to fit into the cargo bay. However you can use those parts for anything else.

-Mini-rover. More than likely will be one whole thing with a few accessories such as batteries and instruments.

-Mini moon lander kit. Command pod, fuel section, rover roll-on-roll-off, and engine mount.

-Space station kit. Basically a series of components to build a space station all compatible with the KSO.

You only get 1 rudder actually, but in the VAB you can place as many rudders as you wish. There's attach nodes for a v configuration or if you want to put it on top of the fuselage end.

Same for the LRB, you only get 1 and you just copy it or place another in the VAB, heck you can place 8 of them if you want.

This just brings me to an interesting idea. I'm wondering if one could place another shuttle on the opposite side of the ET. Essentially launching 2 shuttles with 1 tank and booster set. With a back-of-the-napkin calculation, I'm betting the task could be done with an extended ET and perhaps packing in 2 boosters on each side instead of one. For the record, I'm not entirely sure what purpose launching a second shuttle would serve (or how the game controls would handle it) but I think it's an interesting notion.

Food for thought.

This just brings me to an interesting idea. I'm wondering if one could place another shuttle on the opposite side of the ET. Essentially launching 2 shuttles with 1 tank and booster set. With a back-of-the-napkin calculation, I'm betting the task could be done with an extended ET and perhaps packing in 2 boosters on each side instead of one. For the record, I'm not entirely sure what purpose launching a second shuttle would serve (or how the game controls would handle it) but I think it's an interesting notion.

Food for thought.

Hmmm, Interesting, and the thought food is quite tasty.......

On a more serious note, what about the top-of-rocket adapter and what diameter would it be?

Hmmm, Interesting, and the thought food is quite tasty.......

On a more serious note, what about the top-of-rocket adapter and what diameter would it be?

The food is, as you say, quite tasty.

And on said more serious note, the shuttle is 1.8m, so guessing by that, the docking port looks to be junior size.

Edited by DisarmingBaton5
derpy capitalization issues

The food is, as you say, quite tasty.

And on said more serious note, the shuttle is 1.8m, so guessing by that, the docking port looks to be junior size.

Thank you for that, however, I was referring to something like the the dream chaser adapter to the Atlas V so the shuttle would be able to be launched vertically.

Thank you for that, however, I was referring to something like the the dream chaser adapter to the Atlas V so the shuttle would be able to be launched vertically.

*facepalm*

That would be useful information, too... I think it will be around 1.8m still.

Helldiver, may I request a fairing adapter (1.8m <-> 2.5m) to be mounted on the aft end of the shuttle for this purpose? Version 2.0 perhaps?

*facepalm*

That would be useful information, too... I think it will be around 1.8m still.

Helldiver, may I request a fairing adapter (1.8m <-> 2.5m) to be mounted on the aft end of the shuttle for this purpose? Version 2.0 perhaps?

Hooray! The common folk can influence he mod devs!(:0.0:) Also, the orbital engine layout could be different and simpler...

Or three.

No, I need you alive for playtesting!

Now that my summer trip to Spain is over (as of an hour ago) I can now focus completely on this project. If all goes well public(ish) testing should commence in at most a week's time. It is pretty much the IVA that is left to do. Sorry for the wait so far.

/offtopic: Can't wait to land the Shuttle at Kerbin City International Airport, by the way. I hope the runway is long enough.

I hope you had as much fun as I did last fall!

About the name... can w change it? could a poll be opened, what about Valiant or Grafton

I floated this a few dozen pages ago. It's too tricky to set up a palette swap for this kind of thing at least for the time being. I'm betting that an enterprising sort of player might be able to tweak the final skin that comes with the kit anyway. Personally, I'm willing to wait for her to come out of the hanger before we worry what name or flag or livery we give her.

We did, the shuttle we get will not have a name on the wings (if I remember correctly) so can we not do the name argument again please?

Been following this project since the thread opened and really excited to watch it all come together. Cannot wait to get my hands on it so keep up the amazing work guys.