[0.24.2] Docking Tutorial 1.1.3

blizzy78

Just tried out the updated scenario - I think it is a better test of docking skills and is more in-depth. The only thing I'd advise pilots to do is to toggle off the torque in the lander can, otherwise you will find that when trying to yaw, pitch or roll with the thrusters that the pod tries to torque it back.

The only thing I'd advise pilots to do is to toggle off the torque in the lander can, otherwise you will find that when trying to yaw, pitch or roll with the thrusters that the pod tries to torque it back.

That's the SAS doing it. For small degrees of rotation, it will tend to swing back. As for deactivating it, I deliberately chose to activate it all the time in the tutorial, because I find it incredibly helpful, even more so with the changes in 0.21.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not used this plugin, but I did use your tutorial walkthrough. I can now dock. So much so that I have been teaching my mates how to do so. Manually, no mechjeb.

The new SAS does a good job of helping to balance RCS on self-made crafts. It isn't perfect, but it is so much better than before. You still want to attempt to get the RCS thrusters lined up across center of mass, but the SAS helps to compensate for unwanted roll/yaw during translation maneuvers.

Great job. I really need to install this plugin and give it a once-over. Your write-up, though, was brilliant and spot-on.

You still want to attempt to get the RCS thrusters lined up across center of mass, but the SAS helps to compensate for unwanted roll/yaw during translation maneuvers.

RCS Build Aid is a great plugin to help with RCS thruster placement.

I really need to install this plugin and give it a once-over.

I'd appreciate that. I'm still collecting all the feedback I can get.

There might be a little glitch in the second part of the tutorial. First docking goes fine, second part says "please wait while I'm positioning the pod" and it's been quite some time as the pod tumbles away slowly. It's now over 300m from the dock and appears to be uncontrolled, though occupied.

This didn't happen the second time I tried the tutorial, so I can't say what the cause might be. Only thing I van think of, is the first time I tried it I docked before clicking "next", so Gene detached the docked pod and I had to do it again. Not sure how that would mess up the next part though.

I really do love this tutorial - between your assistance and MechJeb's inability to dock in anything but ideal circumstances (i.e., when I don't need it), I have learned to dock fairly well.

What I'd really love to see next - what would help me immensely in KSP - is a similar tutorial mission on rendezvous. It doesn't need to include docking (but you could encourage users to demonstrate what they learned in this module), but something where one ship starts in a different orbit than the other and you explain how to set and move maneuver nodes to close distances, etc. Is that something you think you could do?

Edited by HeadHunter67

I'd also like to recommend NavyFish's Docking Port Alignment Indicator. It's super helpful for making sure you are lined up properly to dock. He has a new release coming out very soon but the current version is rock solid.

It's more useful than Docking Cam because it gives you easy to interpret visual data on your alignment, including roll. It works from whatever port you have set for docking control, so I was even able to use it to back one of the pods in this tutorial onto one of the station's docking ports with no problem. That's right, I did it backwards!

Anyone who still has difficulty docking between this tutorial and that plugin, just needs to keep practicing. It will become second nature after a short time.

There might be a little glitch in the second part of the tutorial. First docking goes fine, second part says "please wait while I'm positioning the pod" and it's been quite some time as the pod tumbles away slowly. It's now over 300m from the dock and appears to be uncontrolled, though occupied.

This didn't happen the second time I tried the tutorial, so I can't say what the cause might be. Only thing I van think of, is the first time I tried it I docked before clicking "next", so Gene detached the docked pod and I had to do it again. Not sure how that would mess up the next part though.

Hmm, this really shouldn't happen. The "please wait" phase is essentially always the same, regardless of being docked or not. It would undock the pod (if docked), switch to the pod vessel, move it to the docking axis, and place it some distance away from the docking port (exact distance depends on the next tutorial step.) The drifting away never happened to me in testing. Also, the maximum distance it should place the pod away from the docking port is 20 m. Anything significantly further out would be a bug. Or I suppose the plugin managed to get the exact distance right, but didn't switch to the next tutorial instruction page.

What I'd really love to see next - what would help me immensely in KSP - is a similar tutorial mission on rendezvous.

So I'm officially working on that now. Not sure if it's going to be a separate plugin or bundled with the docking tutorial. Stay tuned.

Hooray! That is the best news I've heard for KSP! I learned so much and so well from your docking mission - especially from playing around with docking other parts of the pods to other ports to practice translating. I got it down pretty well, and in no time at all.

If you can build a tutorial mission that teaches people how to accomplish a rendezvous in the first place, I am confident that I will get the hang of that quickly too! I eagerly await.

I understand. I can imagine that it's a more challenging proposition than a docking trainer. But I know it will help a lot of new players - I cannot be the only one who's had so much trouble with it, even after all the videos I've watched and threads I've read.

I understand. I can imagine that it's a more challenging proposition than a docking trainer.

Actually it's easier this time, because the player will do all the work. In the docking tutorial, there is extra code to bring the pod into a specific starting position. You'll see.

But I guess we should not further derail this thread ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I was stuggling with the system, keys and all, and this tutorial and the rendezvous was a real lifesaver for me. You did an incredible work helping n00bs like me. :)

Cannot be grateful enough. Please add this as official tutorials. They teach essential concepts to enjoy the game even more. :)

I never knew you could do something like this with the in game tutorial system. This is fantastic!

I've watched so many tutorials on Youtube about docking and rendezvousing, but this was great!

Great job on tutorial!

Now, let's see if I can get a small science module on my space station core.

Thanks this was really great!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This docking tutorial doesn't seem to be working for me, I am not getting any instructions from the "tutorial kerbal". I merged the GameData and saves folders into my corresponding folders, anything else I need to do? I am playing the Steam version v0.23.0.395. I installed your rendezvous tutorial and it works fine. Any help would be appreciated, good job on the rendezvous tutorial.

This docking tutorial doesn't seem to be working for me, I am not getting any instructions from the "tutorial kerbal". I merged the GameData and saves folders into my corresponding folders, anything else I need to do? I am playing the Steam version v0.23.0.395. I installed your rendezvous tutorial and it works fine. Any help would be appreciated, good job on the rendezvous tutorial.

The tutorial was made for .22, you are running .23, a somewhat different system. The OP has to fix it for .23 in order to use it.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue as Megatherion on a retail install, and I think I know why: I don't have all mods blizzie78 used

LOG 16:18:31.578] setting new dominant body: Kerbin

FlightGlobals.mainBody: Kerbin

[ERR 16:18:31.596] Cannot load Module ModuleTripLogger because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module

[WRN 16:18:31.597] PartModule is null.

any fix possible ?

Be carefull when writing content and always, ALWAYS, test on a clean, 0 mods, install.

And don't misunderstand me, it's greta to have more tutorials & scenarii, appreciated, we need more IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Does this work with the current version? I've just installed it and I have no instruction (same as described above) .. is it something I'm doing wrong or does it need a fix?

Really enjoyed your rendezvous tutorial btw :)

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Does this work with the current version? I've just installed it and I have no instruction (same as described above) .. is it something I'm doing wrong or does it need a fix?

Really enjoyed your rendezvous tutorial btw :)

Thanks

same here...........