Buzz the Tower Challenge

Lets be honest, with the new update (0.21) we all want to make the chief air traffic controller spill his coffee...

The challenge is this, how much coffee can you make him spill?

Buzz the tower and screen shot your craft passing close by, your score (and the amount of coffee spilt) is dependent on your speed at time of passing. Simple as that! SCstock or not, I don't mind, its just a but of 0.21 fun. :D

Added rules reflect feedback:

- Craft but be runway launched, and runway landed. (With the hole craft intact and stoped on the tarmac)

- Rocket engines are banned (because y'know... topgun theme... :P )

- Hitting the tower, although would cause the greatest spilling of coffee, is not aloud.

- All players must first request a flyby and get the give the response "negative ghostrider, the pattern is full" (I'll take your word for it that you said it outloud :P )

- When passing the tower, the flight must me approximately level attitude, approximately inline with the windows, and as close as you can get to the tower. This pass criteria will be judges as fairly as possible by myself (I'm quite easy going:P )

- craft must me crewed, although there is no bonus for extra crew

- Parachutes are 100% banned, not even as a drogue for landing.

- Previous entries will be kept in a pre-alteration leader board

- Two screen shots are required, One of the flyby and one of the landed craft. Your score will be your speed in the screenshot passing the tower.

Pre Alteration Leader board

1. uncopy2002 417.6

2. superecnate 297.8

3. MrNicholas 180.8

Post Alteration Leader Board

searlefm 297

SteevyT 271

searlefm 250.1

rodion 241.8

Schlitzkrieg 222.6

Veeltch 216

Tarsus 190.9

michaelpooper 173.0

ixolate industries 151.1

Von Gobble 135.5

Here is my first attempt:

dBRHuLY.png

Edited by mrnicholas

Simple missile, done in 5 to 10 minutes.

w4tKGKi.png

EDIT: Actually hitting the tower

A98WYh6.png

EDITEDIT: Mainsail is great; 400m/s at ease!

ek4GXmz.png

And FASTER, thanks to super-light probes!

1EuCge0.png

Edited by uncopy2002

Pretty fun looking challenge although i think it would be better with a few more rules. Namely i would suggest maybe a landing rule so people would have to land after buzzing the tower. Maybe extra points for runway landing (or just a mention) and no parachute landing? I see you wanted to make it just for fun but then its not really a challenge.

Pretty fun looking challenge although i think it would be better with a few more rules. Namely i would suggest maybe a landing rule so people would have to land after buzzing the tower. Maybe extra points for runway landing (or just a mention) and no parachute landing? I see you wanted to make it just for fun but then its not really a challenge.

I've made a few changes, thanks for the feedback. Is there anything else I have missed?

While it is the slowest It is by far the biggest, I think a jumbo jet sized thing like mine would give as much of a shock as a small thing going very fast. Made out of B9 aero parts.

sUPqlqIh.jpg

vOmgOyyh.jpg

Thus I think points should be given for the sheer size of it. Jeb is included for scale

well this challenge looks quick and fun so with no further to do i present A S.S.L.A.V

mQGxNTR.png

I7rr1mg.png

i got the tower at 250.4 mp/s?

wile only achieving a maximum speed of 291mp/s that was a little slow for the number of engines if you ask me.

This is a fun challenge, I just spent a few minutes on it now. Early days:

screenshot219.png

As you can see I'm going with the "less is more" philosophy here, specifically less mass is more acceleration...

Screenshot sucks because the moment I'm passing the tower at the closest point I'm trying mostly to not kill Jeb, so I'm always a bit early or late on hitting the button.

This doesn't qualify as an attempt yet since flying and landing such a craft is hellish at best, and while I can at least make the wheels touch the runway, I can't yet get every part to land intact, all attached and at the same time...

So I'll tweak more and post the attempt that doesn't crash later.

Was just watching topgun too! but no buzzing.... only,

Rumbling the tower.. not that close but I hit the thing more times than one lol so I'll just leave it at that.

P5Q1Msih.jpg

Y8vvl1uh.jpg

zwL3EgWh.jpg

Podding the tower.. (ignore the parachutes, forgot to take them off).

gdN18nQh.jpg

And preparing to invade the tower..:D

9t8LsOsh.jpg

Allthough these events weren't particulary fast, each one would still have seen their fair share of spilt beverages and stained pants.

Would put screens of landing etc, but my post is aleady hugemungus.

Edited by Von Gobble

Hey, I'm not good at all at aeroplane flight but I thought I would give this challenge a try. I made a tiny craft with a lot of lift and took off. It took me ages to turn round, miss the tower completely, turn round again and finally buzz the tower. I had a lag spike just as I took my screenshots so the plane crashed into the ground but I'm sure had that lag not been there I would have easily turned and landed on the runway afterwards. Probably just shook a few pencils off some desks, not good though. 140m/s.

ANiTyRD.jpg?1

aZQLVtT.jpg

GoJJxTu.jpg

Edited by Affan